Sign in to follow this  
momac

Fear: Trump in the White House

Am reading this book and am 13% into it and finding it heavy slogging, all the finagling and decision making in trying to get Trump elected, a business man who knew nothing about running a country and was not expected to win the election, is really mind boggling.  When he did win unexpectedly, there was no preparation or strategy in place for governing the country.  

So this is where I'm at and each page has produced much mind bending information, very troubling.  Steve Bannon is a rough talking aggressive man and he had a lot to say during the campaign.

Quick update before bed, am over halfway through Fear and some of what's going on is really troubling, staff having to devise ways to keep Trump from making rash decisions by diverting his attention elsewhere or actually removing an unsigned document.  There is definitely somthing wrong with his mind, jumps from one subject to another, rages on about what someone may have said about him - and people are saying plenty - not paying any attention to what his advisers say.  

The parts of the book dealing with economics are difficult for me, not understanding high governmental finance, so I read it but didn't really grasp whether it was good or bad.  But sometimes I have the feeling that Trump didn't fully understand what his money men were trying to tell him although Trump apparently was the big deal maker.  He did, however, manage to bankrupt his deals about four times and left the contractors hanging.  There aren't many banks around who would finance him.

I do recommend it to anyone who wants to read about the chaos and uncertainty and infighting which apparently goes on in the Administration.  More later.

This book finished surprisingly at 66% on my Kindle.  There is a list of the main characters at the end describing their function and position in the administration.  

Much of what is related in the book is information we have heard via the news media but some of his behavior is hard to believe, he does not accept advice willingly as he thinks he is the only one who knows it all and it seems to take a lot of  manoeuvring by some of the staff to curb his rash impulses.  I believe that he is unfit to govern and it's up to Congress to rein him in before he does some serious damage, particularly in dealing with foreign relations but they are unwilling to do anything so far, maybe protecting their own jobs.  The NAFTA agreement with Canada is at an impasse right now and it sounds as though the US wants concessions from Canada which the government is unwilling to give.  So how he is directing his negotiator affects us.  

I'm glad I read it but will be glad to read some fiction, it's less worrying.:)

My husband really wants to read this - me too, but honestly, I don't want to engage! I feel like if I read the book, I am complicit in keeping him newsworthy. I know that's really silly but I am at the stage with Trump, that it's just better to pretend he doesn't exist.

5 hours ago, Hazel said:

My husband really wants to read this - me too, but honestly, I don't want to engage! I feel like if I read the book, I am complicit in keeping him newsworthy. I know that's really silly but I am at the stage with Trump, that it's just better to pretend he doesn't exist.

I have been taking that approach as well.   I don't watch the news and I don't discuss politics with anyone.  The economy here is booming and if that's true when he is up for re-election, I'm afraid he will win.  

:mad::mad::mad: - Please just let him go away quietly - I'm sure Putin could find him a place to work in Russia!

I'm more than halfway through and am as troubled as Momac about what the Whitehouse staff - a cast of millions - are resorting to in order to keep Trump on the straight and narrow.  It was somehow comforting for me to think that Trump was a full on numpty but being confronted with the fact - and it's worse than I thought! - is something else.  Not familiar with American politics or how government is supposed to run but that's nothing new, I had less understanding when I read about Watergate (another book with a cast of millions). Trump is coming across as shallow, dim and egotistical.  Nixon came across as shockingly amoral and completely corrupt but I felt that there was a whole person there, not so with Trump.

The book is well written and it seems to be well researched.  I just fervently wish that it was wholly untrue but fear (see what I did there?) that it is true

I think there's a lot goes on at the White House which is working in a different reality.    When he was giving his talk at the UN in his usual bragging fashion and saying his administration was the best in the history of the US, they laughed at him.  His Ambassador tried to spin it to say they were laughing with him.  She's as dotty as he is.  May the Saints preserve us from this mad man!

Just got to the bit in the book where Rex Tillerson, then Secretary of State, actually said the words "He (Trump) is an f-word moron" within earshot of other high up Whitehouse staff.  Then he said it a second time. After a meeting where Trump had insulted every single General he had working for him.

Very scary stuff.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I have finished this now and am completely perplexed as to why we haven't all died in a nuclear war!  The staff in the Whitehouse are clearly still working hard to prevent Trump doing any damage.

Great book, though 

5 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I have finished this now and am completely perplexed as to why we haven't all died in a nuclear war!  

Trump can't remember the code to unlock the nuclear weapons

bless whoever set it as 4321 instead of 1234

They were actually fired 3 days later for not liking a trump tweet soon enough (it took them 90 seconds to do so 

Edited by iff

31 minutes ago, iff said:

Trump can't remember the code to unlock the nuclear weapons

Reveal hidden contents

bless whoever set it as 4321 instead of 1234

They were actually fired 3 days later for not liking a trump tweet soon enough (it took them 90 seconds to do so 

Ah.  Good

Good one iff, lets hope they keep it 

hidden.

Edited by momac