Sign in to follow this  
momac

Fear: Trump in the White House

Am reading this book and am 13% into it and finding it heavy slogging, all the finagling and decision making in trying to get Trump elected, a business man who knew nothing about running a country and was not expected to win the election, is really mind boggling.  When he did win unexpectedly, there was no preparation or strategy in place for governing the country.  

So this is where I'm at and each page has produced much mind bending information, very troubling.  Steve Bannon is a rough talking aggressive man and he had a lot to say during the campaign.

Quick update before bed, am over halfway through Fear and some of what's going on is really troubling, staff having to devise ways to keep Trump from making rash decisions by diverting his attention elsewhere or actually removing an unsigned document.  There is definitely somthing wrong with his mind, jumps from one subject to another, rages on about what someone may have said about him - and people are saying plenty - not paying any attention to what his advisers say.  

The parts of the book dealing with economics are difficult for me, not understanding high governmental finance, so I read it but didn't really grasp whether it was good or bad.  But sometimes I have the feeling that Trump didn't fully understand what his money men were trying to tell him although Trump apparently was the big deal maker.  He did, however, manage to bankrupt his deals about four times and left the contractors hanging.  There aren't many banks around who would finance him.

I do recommend it to anyone who wants to read about the chaos and uncertainty and infighting which apparently goes on in the Administration.  More later.

This book finished surprisingly at 66% on my Kindle.  There is a list of the main characters at the end describing their function and position in the administration.  

Much of what is related in the book is information we have heard via the news media but some of his behavior is hard to believe, he does not accept advice willingly as he thinks he is the only one who knows it all and it seems to take a lot of  manoeuvring by some of the staff to curb his rash impulses.  I believe that he is unfit to govern and it's up to Congress to rein him in before he does some serious damage, particularly in dealing with foreign relations but they are unwilling to do anything so far, maybe protecting their own jobs.  The NAFTA agreement with Canada is at an impasse right now and it sounds as though the US wants concessions from Canada which the government is unwilling to give.  So how he is directing his negotiator affects us.  

I'm glad I read it but will be glad to read some fiction, it's less worrying.:)

My husband really wants to read this - me too, but honestly, I don't want to engage! I feel like if I read the book, I am complicit in keeping him newsworthy. I know that's really silly but I am at the stage with Trump, that it's just better to pretend he doesn't exist.

5 hours ago, Hazel said:

My husband really wants to read this - me too, but honestly, I don't want to engage! I feel like if I read the book, I am complicit in keeping him newsworthy. I know that's really silly but I am at the stage with Trump, that it's just better to pretend he doesn't exist.

I have been taking that approach as well.   I don't watch the news and I don't discuss politics with anyone.  The economy here is booming and if that's true when he is up for re-election, I'm afraid he will win.  

:mad::mad::mad: - Please just let him go away quietly - I'm sure Putin could find him a place to work in Russia!