Sign in to follow this  
Loretta

What are you watching on TV?

I've been watching this too. I'm constantly disturbed by the Irish architect's obsession with uncomfortable bench seating in living areas in place of sofas. My back hurts just looking at them! He does it in every design. And those sleeping pods in the bungalow were crazy - and what about the open plan loo? That wasn't even the bloke's design, it was the (more normal) woman's design. I do enjoy it, though.

Scotland's Best Home is good too. (On iPlayer) I do enjoy peeking inside other people's houses.

On 12/05/2019 at 15:14, lunababymoonchild said:

Love this series and the architects are amazing

They really are amazing and it just shows the potential in very ordinary houses if had the budget for an architect. Though I would suspect some architects would produce mostly mundane work.  

23 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

I've been watching this too. I'm constantly disturbed by the Irish architect's obsession with uncomfortable bench seating in living areas in place of sofas. My back hurts just looking at them! He does it in every design. And those sleeping pods in the bungalow were crazy - and what about the open plan loo? That wasn't even the bloke's design, it was the (more normal) woman's design. I do enjoy it, though.

Scotland's Best Home is good too. (On iPlayer) I do enjoy peeking inside other people's houses.

The bench seating is silly isn't it? There may be a property that it would work in but mostly a big no for me. The sleeping pods were definitely crazy, so unpractical. There didn't appear to be any provision for wardrobes, chest of drawers etc. But I don't remember the open plan loo one?? Which design was that one in?

2 hours ago, Tay said:

The bench seating is silly isn't it? There may be a property that it would work in but mostly a big no for me. The sleeping pods were definitely crazy, so unpractical. There didn't appear to be any provision for wardrobes, chest of drawers etc. But I don't remember the open plan loo one?? Which design was that one in?

The open plan loo was in the design they went for instead of the sleeping pods! To be fair, I think they said they left out the sliding door because it was too expensive ... and they presumably are more tolerant of each other than the vast majority of couples. Love is ...

2 hours ago, Tay said:

I remember bench seating being done in a particularly minimalist and austere Grand Designs episode. The husband had his own architect's practice and the wife was rail thin, permanently grumpy and, I thought, very controlling. Everything was made of bare plywood and they had benches instead of sofas, and sliding doors over all the shelves. I may be conflating several different thin, grumpy architects' wives and their houses here - it seems to be a theme on GD.

(I'll never forget, or pass up the opportunity to mention, the one who spent 30K on a cooker for her kitchen)

17 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

The open plan loo was in the design they went for instead of the sleeping pods! To be fair, I think they said they left out the sliding door because it was too expensive ... and they presumably are more tolerant of each other than the vast majority of couples. Love is ...

Ah yes of course, I don't know why I had forgotten about that because I muttered to myself about it when I watched it. Apart from the lack of privacy whilst on the loo the shower didn't have a door either and so (unless a super powerful extractor fan used) would have caused condensation in the bedroom. 

A 30K cooker ............................ that's called a private chef isn't it? 

9 hours ago, Tay said:

Ah yes of course, I don't know why I had forgotten about that because I muttered to myself about it when I watched it. Apart from the lack of privacy whilst on the loo the shower didn't have a door either and so (unless a super powerful extractor fan used) would have caused condensation in the bedroom. 

A 30K cooker ............................ that's called a private chef isn't it? 

Haha yes! Watching this week again and thinking Robert is getting boring with his "works canteen" style designs.

On 14/05/2019 at 22:08, Minxminnie said:

Haha yes! Watching this week again and thinking Robert is getting boring with his "works canteen" style designs.

I was very surprised they choose Robert's design this week but thought the way they tweaked it worked well. They definitely didn't look happy when he started moving their sofas around. And there was no mention of the craft room come bedroom thing with those stupid huge doors he had included in the original design. Obviously they sensibly decided not to have those either.