Hi,

I presume its ok to post a thread on a particular book - this is my first thread. Currently I'm reading this book (see title) - its one of a number of books on mortality and humanity in general which I've read in recent years. I have an interest in such things - thinking about the big issues in life, philosophising somewhat I suppose. I'm very much enjoying this book so far - its a relatively short read at under 250 pages long (the main text being 226 pages long).

I always find it interesting to read about people in situations whereby they know that their time may be, or is, limited and how they adapt to said situation - what sort of thoughts and beliefs perhaps change as a result of it and so on.  I'm finding this book a quick read, although I've been busy so I've only been able to read in the morning but having started on Monday im already over half way through it. I find the mentions of Parkinsons interesting as I had relatives who suffered from the condition and it talks about the person who the condition is named after, which I didn't know much about. It also references a number of other authors and books which I had read previously, although not for some time, namely Atul Gawande (Being Mortal), Dr. Henry Marsh (Do No Harm was one of my favourite reads for many years at the time) and Paul Kalanithi (When Breath Becomes Air). The author also references Awakenings, of which a film adaptation was made (Robin Williams is great in it, if I recall correctly). The whole story behind Awakenings is one that intrigues me - I've seen the film but not read the original book, although I have read other books by the late Dr. Oliver Sacks. I'm now quite keen to read Awakenings at some point. I could only imagine what it must have been like for the people affected who seemingly regained a degree of normal life, only to lose it later on - what cruelty!.

I like that this book includes quotes at the start of each chapter - quotes from other authors, music/lyrics and so on. I find the cultural context quite interesting. Well, generally speaking I like thought provoking reads, although it'd be fair to say that sometimes I choose to read a bit of uplifting fiction to get a change of scene if I've read a lot about such potentially dark subject areas as illnesses and mortality but I'm certainly enjoying this book at the moment. I find it interesting reading them so as to get an idea of what the authors personal viewpoint is, based on their personal near misses with death and the like.

59 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Of course it's OK and very welcome.  I enjoyed your review and Robin Williams was fabulous in Awakenings and I would also like to read the book.

Thanks :) I've read The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat and Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks but not Awakenings - yet. There's another book on neurology which I thought was particularly good and thats called Reaching Down The Rabbit Hole (Extraordinary Journeys into the Human Brain) by Allan Ropper.