Eagerly anticpated

Viccie

I think I need to do the lottery. My list of books that I'm itching to read, want to read so much that I'm looking the books up while they're still in hardback and wondering if I can justify the cost (with the size of my TBR pile there's no way) is growing on a daily basis. So far I've got:

Early Riser - Jasper fforde

Stillhouse Lake - Rachel Caine

The Craftsman -Sharon Bolton

Transcription -Kate Atkinson

Clock Dance Anne Tyler

Take Nothing With You -Patrick Gale

The Rules of Magic - Alice Hoffman

Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch

The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock - Imogen Hermes Gower

And that's just for starters...

(Mods, I seem to remember there was a thread like this before but for the life of me I can't find it.)

James Renner has just tweeted that his new work of fiction, Muse, is due out in March 2019.  I'm hopping up and down for it.  (He's the guy who wrote The Man From Primrose Lane.)

I'm also waiting for The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, in paperback.  I've already placed my pre-order.

I love pre-ordering books now. I love the surprise when the pop through the post.

I have a huge TBR pile. I cleared out my bookcase last weekend and put all my TBR pile into three shelves so that I can focus my attention there. I also pulled out  a few that I can't wait to read so I don't forget about them. Funnily enough Evelyn Hardcastle was one of them.

Often if I see a book I'd like I put a reminder in the phone for the next time I am due to be Dublin to see if in stock. Although 2 out of the 4 on my list 2 weeks ago were unfortunately not in stock in the shop I go to. Of the 2 I got, I had added one to the list on a BGO review from last march or April but wasn't out here until July or august.

I do the same with music acts releasing albums :) I might have a problem ;), I have 5 music albums on the calendar. I also have, at least, 3 albums (it'll be fun finding out who or when :d) preordered from labels or artist websites. I am pretty sure things will come in the post to my surprise.

I do currently have one book preordered on Amazon, freshwater by awkwakae emezi which isn't due out here until november.

I am looking forward to the next novel from Roy Jacobsen, due in march 2019 and the follow up to the brilliant the inseen

Edited by iff

Unless you go to Paris (next trip October) English language books are in fairly short supply in bookshops in France, even the English ones which are usally pretty small, and they often only order in one or two copies of even the most popular books so they go quickly. I doubt I'd find any of the books on my list in Bordeaux.

I do most of my thumbing though books and browsing type book shopping at a twice yearly charity booksale for English books whch involves a lot of impulse buys - and a lot of books going straight back in the bag to be sold at the next sale - but as they only cost 1€ each I look on it as a sort of subscription to a library and the ones returned prctically unread are a donation t charity. Of course there don't tend to be any very new books there and a lot of emphasis on David Baldicci and aga sagas, neither of which are my cup of tea.

Edited by Viccie

Oh I forgot though I wouldn't say eagerly anticipated but I am on two book subscriptions from publishers, & other books (2 books) and Peirene Press (3 books)

Though it is nice to get their packets in the mail.

I'm really looking forward to Chris Brookmyre's new outing as Ambrose Parry, a joint venture with his wife. I usually think that is an awful idea but I trust them! It is out in hardback just now and though I usually only buy paperbacks, I might be tempted.

I'm also looking forward to Damian Barr's novel, You Will Be Safe Here, which isn't out yet. I have  read his autobiography, Maggie and Me, about growing up round here. I taught him briefly and remember him fondly as a geeky pupil who always wanted to chat to the English teachers. I took his class for a few weeks and taught them creative writing, so do you think I can take credit for the novel? ;-) Certainly the first of my pupils to be a novelist anyway.

9 minutes ago, Minxminnie said:

I'm also looking forward to Damian Barr's novel, You Will Be Safe Here, which isn't out yet. I have  read his autobiography, Maggie and Me, about growing up round here. I taught him briefly and remember him fondly as a geeky pupil who always wanted to chat to the English teachers. I took his class for a few weeks and taught them creative writing, so do you think I can take credit for the novel? ;-) Certainly the first of my pupils to be a novelist anyway.

If you remember him fondly, then you can be fairly sure that he remembers you in the same light.  That's awesome!  I haven't read any of his work, but I do know the name.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Have now seen this, he's still got it.

He’s got a unique look!  First time I’ve seen him on the tv programme. Great to see/ hear someone who is capable of reciting their own work. Sometimes, on the radio, they allow authors to read their own books , and quite honestly  some aren’t any good at it.

16 hours ago, Loretta said:

He’s got a unique look!  First time I’ve seen him on the tv programme. Great to see/ hear someone who is capable of reciting their own work. Sometimes, on the radio, they allow authors to read their own books , and quite honestly  some aren’t any good at it.

It does take a bit of doing.  You should try the clips from YouTube - beware there can be a certain amount of swearing in these because they are live readings in front of a paying audience and not on censored TV - to get an essence of what he's like.  He is to performance poetry what Billy Connolly was to stand up comedy.  Brilliant, talented, funny, acerbic and sometimes offensive.  

Ordered his new book at Waterstones today - they sell it signed and I have the points/stamps for it - and also ordered Ian Rankin's new Rebus In a House of Lies, also signed.  I have also been made aware of and also eagerly anticipating the new Ransom Riggs next in the series of Miss Peregrine's : A Map of Days: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children due next Tuesday.  Love that Christmas is coming up and all the new books are being released.  I otherwise detest Christmas.

On 30/08/2018 at 10:37, Viccie said:

I think I need to do the lottery. My list of books that I'm itching to read, want to read so much that I'm looking the books up while they're still in hardback and wondering if I can justify the cost (with the size of my TBR pile there's no way) is growing on a daily basis. So far I've got:

Early Riser - Jasper fforde

Transcription -Kate Atkinson

Clock Dance Anne Tyler

Take Nothing With You -Patrick Gale

Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch

And that's just for starters...

(Mods, I seem to remember there was a thread like this before but for the life of me I can't find it.)

Agree with you on those Viccie. Listened to book of the week Transcription by Kate Atkinson on Radio 4 and now really want to read the book.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qtlx/episodes/player

Luna, Loretta and Hazel. Must be his best poem :)

10 hours ago, Clavain said:

Agree with you on those Viccie. Listened to book of the week Transcription by Kate Atkinson on Radio 4 and now really want to read the book.

I couldn't pick just one but that's a cracker.

On 27/09/2018 at 15:24, lunababymoonchild said:

It does take a bit of doing.  You should try the clips from YouTube - beware there can be a certain amount of swearing in these because they are live readings in front of a paying audience and not on censored TV - to get an essence of what he's like.  He is to performance poetry what Billy Connolly was to stand up comedy.  Brilliant, talented, funny, acerbic and sometimes offensive.  

Ordered his new book at Waterstones today - they sell it signed and I have the points/stamps for it - and also ordered Ian Rankin's new Rebus In a House of Lies, also signed.  I have also been made aware of and also eagerly anticipating the new Ransom Riggs next in the series of Miss Peregrine's : A Map of Days: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children due next Tuesday.  Love that Christmas is coming up and all the new books are being released.  I otherwise detest Christmas.

Billy Connolly used to make me roar with laughter!

On 28/09/2018 at 22:35, Clavain said:

Hahaha - Brilliant. Thanks for that, Clavain.