Who Has Pets?!

Carla

Great story, MFJ! My cousin and her mother live together and adopted a cat with the house they bought. It brings in any number of animals, including a small rabbit that peered out at them when they went to see what the cat was staring at behind the sofa!

The best one was a rat, though, which scuttled out from under a chair when they investigated feline interest and crawled up the curtains then scurried across the pelmet. When my aunt went to try getting it down it jumped off onto her head, swung precariously for a few seconds from her fringe, then ran down her legs to hide behind the sofa. Efforts to catch it were then suspended while my cousin spent the next half hour in helpless hysterics.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About ten years ago, I had been working on my computer one Sunday morning, and went downstairs for lunch. On returning to the PC, I was amused to see one of our cats sitting in my chair, staring at the screen (I thought). I shooed her off, and started work - or I tried to. The mouse wasn't working. I picked up the mouse, and realised that the lead attaching it to the computer was severed. Then I noticed another mouse - one with whiskers and two beady eyes. It then ran up the curtains, followed by the cat and, inevitably, ended up taking cover under the bed. There then ensued a major furniture shuffle, and finished up with our other cat successfully catching the mouse and being chased out of the house.

I've probably mentioned the koi carp (2 in a week), frogs, toads, pampas grass (6 feet long - took the cat quite a while to get that through the catflap!) and leaves that we've been presented with. Yesterday one of our kittens brought in a soaking wet invitation to a 15th birthday party!

As some of you may know (not that I've mentioned it that often :rolleyes:) I was staying at my parents whilst recovering from spinal surgery - one of the delights of this stay was the company of their (well I think of him as mine also) Golden Retriever, Wellington; I went to visit my parents today and was greeted by a very excited dog, who seemed soooo pleased to see me. According to my mum it was a delight to see as since I left and went home to my place he has seemed very sad and depressed.

He was on my bed a lot whilst I was laid up and part of my recovery entailed taking him for a short walk each day - I also had a love in with him every evening - cuddles and games and always made such a fuss of him.

Mum said she hadn't put 2 and 2 together but seeing his reaction to my visit he has obviously missed me. Bless :).

I'm back at home now, I hope he's not too sad :(

I've probably mentioned the koi carp (2 in a week), frogs, toads, pampas grass (6 feet long - took the cat quite a while to get that through the catflap!) and leaves that we've been presented with. Yesterday one of our kittens brought in a soaking wet invitation to a 15th birthday party!

I've probably mentioned this before too, but it makes me smile whenever I think of it - my neighbour (when I lived in the "family home") had a tabby called Izzy. She was a great hunter (and the kind I approve of, because she never caught birds, and never killed or seemed to injure the other animals she fetched in!), and her favourite was mice. The problem was that she would bring them into the house, and put them in the bath. She would then sit on the end of the bath for hours, with an amused look on her face, as she watched them trying to scrabble up the sides! If she thought they were getting too far up, she would just put her paw out and "boof" them back in. I'm not sure my then 80 year old neighbour found it as humourous as Izzy and myself though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

At the moment I have one cat and three rabbits. By Wednesday I will also have three chickens.

I am still in negotiation with Husband about the goat, the pigs, a sheep, bees...

We'd really love a dog and have tried twice but our cat will not accept the idea so both have had to go back. :( I still miss the rescued greyhound. :(:(

• 2 weeks later...

We seem to be acquiring a "library cat" at the moment. We aren't encouraging it - but it will insist on coming inside everytime someone opens the door. It had to be be put back outside over 4 times in half an hour this afternoon. Sadly, while it has a collar with bell, it doesn't have any tag with name or owner details on it.

After becoming an 'aunt' to Tilly a couple of weeks ago, I am now one again, to Toby. My other sister has just adopted a little black terrier after he was rescued by the staff at a vet's surgery. We now have Tiger, Tilly, and Toby! Tiger and I are meeting him tomorrow. Sadly, Tiger and Tilly will never be introduced because Tiger doesn't like cats.

We met Toby today. He was very playful and friendly, and had great fun chasing Tiger around the kitchen. Poor Tiger didn't know what to make of the intruder, but we hope they will soon grow to be friends. Toby quickly made himself comfortable playing with Tiger's toys and sleeping n his bed. He's only six months old and he's already walking all over ten-year-old Tiger. There's a new top dog in town!

Seeing how sweet and friendly Toby is, I can't believe how people could be cruel enough to abandon such a loving little dog. He's already grown very attached to my sister - he went to the door and waited for her after she went out for a minute - and she's barely had him three days! Pets depend on their owners for love, care, and attention, and it's our duty to provide those things. I'm happy that Toby, and Tilly, will get those things with my two sisters.

• 9 months later...

For a wee while now we have been toying with the idea of getting a snake. Each time we visit Skye, we pop into Skye Serpentarium and the boys always head straight for the snakes and have a hold of a beautiful python called Rihannon. Recently, we have been popping into Reptile shops and finding out a little bit more and more about what's involved. After looking into the matter, I have settled on a python as they seem the easiest and require less room, and grow to a comfortable size that we can cope with.

I am going to get a book (of course) on keeping pythons and make sure I understand everything I need to before we finally take the plunge, but I wondered of anyone on BGO-land had a snake and had any advice for us?