tagesmann

Revived BGO Book Group

Clavain suggested that as we have an influx of new members we try a group read.

So how about some suggestions?

Please suggest a book and why you think members might want to read it.

If you like a suggestion then second that suggestion.

After a suitable interval we will vote on any books that have been suggested and seconded.

OK?

I'd like to suggest Stoner by John Williams.  Why?  Because of this discussion video from the YouTube book channel, Better Than Food:

Stoner by John Williams

"It's an honest portrait of a man who has tried his best to deal with the mistakes that he has made, keep his integrity, and love those who are close to him."

It's a book that sounds inspirational, shattering, and insightful.  It's a modern classic.  It's sitting unread on my shelf, and I'd like to change that!

Edited by Onion Budgie

Here is a thread on Stoner

Mostly people were posting that they were intending to read it, or asking if they should read it.

Those who have read it, and who posted comments, were very positive about it.

What about How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis (which I haven't read yet but is on the wish list)?  Samantha Ellis is a playwright and author and this reading memoir was parked by an argument with a bookish friend about which literary heroine they liked best, Catherine Earnshaw or Jane Eyre. She says she realised she'd spent her life trying to be Cathy when perghaps she should have modelled herself on Jane.

It sounds fun.

If I could suggest another one, then perhaps we could all get our murder-mystery on with the very first Hercule Poirot novel that Agatha Christie wrote, which was published in 1920:  The Mysterious Affair at Styles.  It's a Poirot I haven't yet read.  The beginning of any series is an excellent place to start.  I've heard it's a good one.

I'm always ready for a group read.  I'll second Stoner because I'm always thinking about reading it and never get round to it.  I'll also second Agatha Christie's Poirot The Mysterious Affair at Styles.  Only read one Agatha Christie and I loved it and I'd just love to picture David Suchet mincing around and exercising his little grey cells.

I nominate Muriel Spark's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.  Because : I've never read it, it's written by a Scot, and it's short (144 pages).  Ideal for a group read really *laughs*

I'll be glad to participate - unless it's anything by Virginia Woolfe ( have I got the name right) - then I'll just read the reviews of those who participate. :)

I'd happily re-read The Mysterious Affair At Styles - if I can get a copy.

I threw out my complere (or almost) set of Christie's mysteries when we moved. We just haven't the space now., but I do miss them.

You couldn't pay me to reread The Prime if Miss JB!

I loathe Jean Brodie with a passion -  as I have no doubt expressed elsewhere on BGO,  - but have enjoyed some of Spark's other novels-

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I nominate Muriel Spark's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.  Because : I've never read it, it's written by a Scot, and it's short (144 pages).  Ideal for a group read really *laughs*

Now that you mention Scots, have you ever read a short story by R. L. Stevenson where the main character has a conversation with his conscience?  It’s only a couple of pages long.  I thought it was brilliant, so good that I can’t remember the title 🤔

44 minutes ago, Loretta said:

Now that you mention Scots, have you ever read a short story by R. L. Stevenson where the main character has a conversation with his conscience?  It’s only a couple of pages long.  I thought it was brilliant, so good that I can’t remember the title 🤔

No, but I'll seek it out.  

Clearly the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie isn't going to be seconded then.  Sorry Meg, I had no idea

8 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Sorry Meg, I had no idea

Oh, take no notice of me -  I've not exactly been the most enthusiastic reader of previous Book Group choices.

At a friend's importuning, I finally read "The Dead" by James Joyce, which is a long short story at the most.  I then re-read it twice in rapid succession.  I will nominate it.

Not read anything by Agatha Christie, James Joyce or Samantha Ellis. Would be happy with any of those :)

I read the dead though it was roughly 11 years ago so wouldn't mind rereading

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (UK Kindle) for 75p at the mo.

So the nominations seconded so far are:

Stoner by John Williams

How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The Dead by James Joyce

If there are no more nominations I suggest we move the a vote tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, tagesmann said:

So the nominations seconded so far are:

Stoner by John Williams

How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The Dead by James Joyce

If there are no more nominations I suggest we move the a vote tomorrow.

Seconded

So pleased to see the group read resurrected - I'll join in with this one. Well done guys!