Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Other Hobbies

I know that, on this forum at least, reading is an all consuming passion but I wondered if anyone had any other hobbies or pass times that they indulge in when not reading.

I crochet and do paper  crafts from time to time

I'm a PC gamer -- point & click adventure mostly, but also some RPG (Skyrim) and casual puzzle types.

I read the Tarot and Oracle.

I love Tamagotchi.  :geek:

I write Holmesian pastiche and parody. 

I bought a mosaic kit last year but still haven’t done anything with it.😖 Hoping to make a few pictures soon. Took me ages choosing the  coloured glass pieces.  I also like working with textiles/ fabrics.

I love doing Crosswords - the easy ones 😀

On 12/08/2018 at 20:03, Onion Budgie said:

I'm a PC gamer -- point & click adventure mostly, but also some RPG (Skyrim) and casual puzzle types.

I read the Tarot and Oracle.

I love Tamagotchi.  :geek:

I write Holmesian pastiche and parody. 

Holmesian pastiche and parody sounds interesting.

On 12/08/2018 at 19:34, lunababymoonchild said:

I know that, on this forum at least, reading is an all consuming passion but I wondered if anyone had any other hobbies or pass times that they indulge in when not reading.

I crochet and do paper  crafts from time to time

Funnily enough, I was looking at a few crochet patterns today. Haven’t done it for years so I hope I remember how. I tend to sew more.

Some great hobbies there.  I did a fair few crosswords when my mother was alive, being the only person in the house who could spell, but since it was her hobby and she was meant to be doing it, none now.  That doesn't mean that I haven't been asked to help solve a clue or two since then.

1 hour ago, Loretta said:

Funnily enough, I was looking at a few crochet patterns today. Haven’t done it for years so I hope I remember how. I tend to sew more.

I'm sure that you will.  I was taught when I was four and went straight into it without a problem.

Gardening.  But I’m very bad at it. Mostly because I am not as knowledgeable as my ex who always directed me.  But also because I am incredibly lazy; and there is a fair amount of hard work involved in the preparation.

A bit of gardening, and walking (just back from a walking weekend in Northumberland).

On 14/08/2018 at 14:37, Viccie said:

I knit, usually simple patterns so I can read and knit at the same time.

20 hours ago, tagesmann said:

Gardening.  But I’m very bad at it. Mostly because I am not as knowledgeable as my ex who always directed me.  But also because I am incredibly lazy; and there is a fair amount of hard work involved in the preparation.

1 hour ago, Madeleine said:

A bit of gardening, and walking (just back from a walking weekend in Northumberland).

I haven't knitted in years but would not knit and read at the same time, lol. I like gardening too but not too professional at it, I just tidy up really.  I need to do a whole lot of walking.  I did years ago and then life got in the way.

On 13/08/2018 at 22:25, lunababymoonchild said:

Some great hobbies there.  I did a fair few crosswords when my mother was alive, being the only person in the house who could spell, but since it was her hobby and she was meant to be doing it, none now.  That doesn't mean that I haven't been asked to help solve a clue or two since then.

I'm sure that you will.  I was taught when I was four and went straight into it without a problem.

Did your mother read books?  My father did crosswords in our family. He also read a lot.  My mother on the other hand is not interested in books at all  and never reads them. Thankfully, she never discouraged me.🙂

I meant to ask - what do you make out of your paper craft?

lunababymoonchild, You were right about the crochet.  I wanted to make something simple, just to get the hang of it again, and ended up crocheting a rug (jute) I’m hoping to make a sleeveless vesty top next.

On 15/08/2018 at 14:12, tagesmann said:

Gardening seems a very satisfying hobby.  I’m useless at it and can  just about keep a pot plant alive.

9 hours ago, Loretta said:

Did your mother read books?  My father did crosswords in our family. He also read a lot.  My mother on the other hand is not interested in books at all  and never reads them. Thankfully, she never discouraged me.🙂

I meant to ask - what do you make out of your paper craft?

lunababymoonchild, You were right about the crochet.  I wanted to make something simple, just to get the hang of it again, and ended up crocheting a rug (jute) I’m hoping to make a sleeveless vesty top next.

My mother read an astonishing amount of books and very quickly.  That's where I get it from.  I was choosing my own reading material - carefully supervised no doubt - when I was 4 and honestly don't remember not being able to read.

I make all sorts out of paper, greeting cards, origami, 3d models/masks, paper cuts etc.

I crochet mainly amigurumi, which are a lot of fun and very easy to do

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Typos

I garden, which can be frustrating in Dallas, and bake.  I also do a lot of yoga and periodically add in other kinds of exercise.

As well as reading, listening to music, cycling. One hobby I don't really talk about is puzzle books.

I really enjoy Puzzler collection books. I really like the logic problems and the other one I really like is round tower.

i also like killer sudoku and kakuro.

i just start at page 1 and go straight through the book, only skipping the word searches

On 24/08/2018 at 08:48, lunababymoonchild said:

My mother read an astonishing amount of books and very quickly.  That's where I get it from.  I was choosing my own reading material - carefully supervised no doubt - when I was 4 and honestly don't remember not being able to read.

I make all sorts out of paper, greeting cards, origami, 3d models/masks, paper cuts etc.

I crochet mainly amigurumi, which are a lot of fun and very easy to do

Oh, they look so sweet, especially the giraffe. You must have very nimble fingers!

btw,  lunababy...I wanted to ask your advice on crochet hooks. The one I use is made by ‘aero’ - I’ve had it for years and recently enjoyed crocheting with it again. The problem is they don’t seem to make them anymore. I wanted to buy the aero  hooks in different sizes.

There are different varieties on the market,  now:  bamboo, plastic, aluminium and titanium but I’ve no idea which of these are the best.

I’d be most grateful if you could advise me on which type to get., or at least which ones you find the easiest/ most comfortable to work with?

2 hours ago, Loretta said:

Oh, they look so sweet, especially the giraffe. You must have very nimble fingers!

btw,  lunababy...I wanted to ask your advice on crochet hooks. The one I use is made by ‘aero’ - I’ve had it for years and recently enjoyed crocheting with it again. The problem is they don’t seem to make them anymore. I wanted to buy the aero  hooks in different sizes.

There are different varieties on the market,  now:  bamboo, plastic, aluminium and titanium but I’ve no idea which of these are the best.

I’d be most grateful if you could advise me on which type to get., or at least which ones you find the easiest/ most comfortable to work with?

I favour the Clover Amour hooks because they have a comfort grip.  They are also easy to use.  My absolute favourite is an Addi comfort grip hook. All bought from Amazon (through the banner so that BGO gets 5%)

17 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I favour the Clover Amour hooks because they have a comfort grip.  They are also easy to use.  My absolute favourite is an Addi comfort grip hook. All bought from Amazon (through the banner so that BGO gets 5%)

Thank you, that’s very helpful 🙂 They didn’t even have those in the shops when I was looking around. I like the look of the Addi one best, but think I”ll buy one of each to start off with, an Addi and a Clover Armour in different sizes.

How does buying them through the Amazon banner work? Do I just click on it and continue buying as usual? Does it work with anything I buy through them?

I’m going away tomorrow for a week. When I return I’ll order the hooks and a book I’ve had my eye on, through the banner thing.

If BGO gets 5% - I’m happy to help.

1 hour ago, Loretta said:

Thank you, that’s very helpful 🙂 They didn’t even have those in the shops when I was looking around. I like the look of the Addi one best, but think I”ll buy one of each to start off with, an Addi and a Clover Armour in different sizes.

How does buying them through the Amazon banner work? Do I just click on it and continue buying as usual? Does it work with anything I buy through them?

I’m going away tomorrow for a week. When I return I’ll order the hooks and a book I’ve had my eye on, through the banner thing.

If BGO gets 5% - I’m happy to help.

Yes, you click on the banner and shop as usual and BGO gets 5%, which helps to keep the board going.  I made the banner a favourite so that I don't need to click on the BGO banner every time I order, which is a lot.  Yes, we get 5% regardless of what you buy.  Tell your friends and family, you don't have to be a member of BGO to order through the banner, lol (my brother buys a lot too and he doesn't mind getting  it through the banner), but that's obviously not necessary.

Glad to be of help, enjoy your trip

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 07:46, lunababymoonchild said:

I second the Clover Amour. They glide so effortlessly through stitches. But I've only used aluminium ones before and haven't tried the Addi ones.

Hi,

Other hobbies I have, reading and writing aside, include taking photos (mainly landscape and nature), listening to music (Radio2 - pop/R&B/Soul) and drawing (mostly cartoon type drawings).