Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

New Kindle advice needed!

My old (pre-touchscreen) Kindle has died and I need to get a new one. As it happens, I won a couple of hundred pounds on a wee fundraising lottery a couple of months ago (well, got some of my many years worth of contributions back) and I am dithering about which Kindle to get as I am due a treat.

It's between the Paperwhite (which is a backlit, touchscreen version of what I've got) and the new Oasis (twice the price but a new design). I just wondered if any BGOers had any thoughts on the current models.

Another question: do the new Kindles use the same charging cable as the older ones, or the new USB-C, or something else? My current Kindle uses the same cable as my old phone/tablet etc, and some of my other devices use USB-C: it would be good if I didn't need to buy a separate charger. 

My personal choice would be the Paperwhite.  I think that is perfectly adequate for anyone's needs - as is the basic Kindle really, but hey, if you have the dosh...

Anyway the Oasis is gorgeous but, I feel, unecessary.

Both use micro USB (so same as your phone, probably).

Thanks Tag. I do need the light, so the Paperwhite is the minimum. I'd like to have a play with the Oasis just to see if it's worth the extra, but it only seems to be available from Amazon's website, not in Curry's. Anyway, I suspect I will just go for the Paperwhite 

I have a Paperwhite MM and I really like it, I got mine from Amazaon.ca

The Paperwhite is pretty much as good a device as there is. The Oasis looks to be slightly larger, has a larger screen (is the screen size of a Paperwhite really too small?) and is a couple of grams lighter. The Oasis has a larger memory but I don't feel that I have even come close to reaching the limits of the Paperwhite. The Oasis looks like a new generation simply for its own sake, to cost more than the Paperwhite for people who have to have the latest thing. 

Thanks Momac and Mr HG. 

I do wish that the screen size on the standard Kindle was larger relative to the device size. There seems to be a large edge (I'm sure there's a more technical name for it) which looks a bit clunky now. I don't know if it serves a purpose though.

If I had to guess, the edge keeps you from accidentally doing what you don't mean to do by touching something you didn't know was there.  I have the Samsung Edge phone (mis-named because there is no edge) and I have those problems constantly.  So I think there is some value to having the edge since my Edge(less) is sort of nightmare to work with.  I've gotten better over time, but I have to say that I really don't like it better.

On 05/08/2018 at 11:47, Minxminnie said:

There seems to be a large edge (I'm sure there's a more technical name for it) which looks a bit clunky now. I don't know if it serves a purpose though.

3 hours ago, Binker said:

If I had to guess, the edge keeps you from accidentally doing what you don't mean to do by touching something you didn't know was there.  I have the Samsung Edge phone (mis-named because there is no edge) and I have those problems constantly.  So I think there is some value to having the edge since my Edge(less) is sort of nightmare to work with.  I've gotten better over time, but I have to say that I really don't like it better.

It's called a bezel and is designed to do exactly as Binker described

Yes that's the name I was looking for. I'd like it to be a bit thinner (not as thin as my phone) and I'm wary that they will release the version I want in two months ...

Thanks everyone for your advice. I now have a new Paperwhite charging on my kitchen counter, having tried the free 2 hour delivery with Amazon Now.

(Wow. That shouldn't be possible.)

It comes with a charging cable. So how can they get away with offering a USB charger for 17 quid or so?? I thought it must be a dedicated cable, but no, that is supplied. Those plugs, if you don't already have enough, cost peanuts. What a cheek.