Sign in to follow this  
iff

The Last Summer

Review of The Last Summer by Ricarda Huch, translated by Jamie Bulloch

This novel written in the style of letters from various characters, both of the family and the person hired to protect them is set in Tsarist Russia. The father Yegor is the Governor of a University that due to student unrest, he has closed.  Yegor and his family retreat to their summer home to get away from the trouble but the trouble finds them in the way of the hired bodyguard, Lyu, who we find out is part of the group causing unrest.

Through the letters, we see the private thoughts of the characters. As well as highlighting the unrest, you also find covered in them, matters of family life, disagreements and things like the family's first car (it was written in 1910 as well as Lyu's plotting.

I thought this was a very good novel, really well written and worked very good.

* * * * 1/2

Edited by iff

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By iff
      Review of The Mussel Feast by Brigit Vanderbeke, translated by Jamie Bulloch.

The novels start with a mother and her two children sitting down to wait for their usually on time father to arrive home for dinner at 6pm. The mother has cooked mussels, which she dislikes as does her daughter (the narrator) but the father and son quite enjoy. There is a fair bit of the novel where the narrator describes her real dislike of mussels. I've never had mussels but it kind of puts me off eating them

This novel is a short novel from Peirene Press, covering 100 pages or so nd told in one monologueic burst. What transpires is the daughter recounting her experience of her father. The family we learn had been refuggees from East Germany to West Germany and that while in the refugee camp, the mother had been pregnant with a third child but had an abortion.

I found in the father in the daughter's memories (I don't believe the characters were named) to be very overbearing, very strict father and who even with the girl getting top- grades in school, he would see it as an opportunity to try to put her down for them (To paraphrase "school was a lot harder in my days. Your 1 would only be a 3 in my class." I found this funny as when I was growing up, it was something discussed as well in the declining standards. The author Vanderbeke having written this in 1990 would have been an early generation so maybe the A's in my day would be D's or F's back in the father's day. Maybe I've digressed a bit). A father disappointed in his life, whose main thing he cares about isn't happiness or well being but status.

Vanderbeke and her translator, Jamie Bulloch have done a great job in creating a monologue that unwinds it self into an excellent novel, filled with intricacies of the family life.