Sign in to follow this  
Apple

Into the Darkest Corner

This was another ‘freebie’ read  from Amazon Prime Reading, it was in the recommended for me bit which put me on my guard a little, but I clicked on it and read the blurb and I was interested enough to give it a go, I mean it was free I wasn’t losing anything other than time should it be crap. The words ‘obsessive thriller’ drew me in and I’m glad it did as it was so good.

The general jist is a Catherine is a young girl, young, free and single confident and outgoing and she likes to party, not looking to settle down she enjoys the single life of going out clubbing with friends and having casual sex.  Then she meets Lee a mysterious man who is working as a doorman of a club, after the initial meeting he starts showing up at places she frequents like the gym etc and they get talking and decide to start seeing each other.

Now Lee isn’t what he seems and although you know exactly what is going to happen as the books starts with the trial transcript where he is being tried for attacking Catherine, the full extent of his character considering what job he does and how he uses that to his advantage is quite shocking.  It is written in an interesting way, like a series of diary extracts, and it jumps backwards and forwards through time from how they met and throughout the period of their relationship to the present and showing how Catherine is now in the present day, and it is heart wrenching to read, she suffers from extreme OCD and PTSD and lives in fear, you read how she has her compulsive rituals just so she feels safe and how if she feels she doesn’t do them correctly she can get stuck for hours repeating the same ritual.  You read how certain things trigger massive panic attacks and how she lives with that on a day to day basis and how it affects her life.

As the story progresses you gradually see the more controlling aspects of the relationship with Lee and how he manipulated her friends into thinking he was wonderful and she was the crazy one, to the point where one of her friends actually testifies against her in the trial, and in the present day extracts how she meets someone and she seeks help for her mental illness and becomes a stronger person.  So as the story progresses you see how she changes from the bright and confident girl she was at the beginning and how she was beaten down to the point of welcoming death and in the present day how she lives in a world dominated by fear and rituals until she slowing starts to fight back and becomes strong again and it’s an interesting juxtaposition.

It is astonishing well written and very clever as you read it you empathise with her and the physical abuse scenes are quite horrific and graphic but the way it’s written you feel her emotions from the initial disbelief and fear and anger that he is doing this through to acceptance that she is going to die and almost wanting death to happen to release her from the hell she is in. 

Not only that though when she believes he is back and is stalking her and she is trying to tell people that she thinks he is back and stalking her, the way it is written gives you that very small element of doubt that she could be imagining it, through the fear of what she previously went through and although you desperately want to believe that he is back and you know that he probably is and that she isn’t losing her mind through fear, but there are also plenty of reasonable explanations to the things she has found as evidence which just for a moment makes you doubt. I don’t want to give away what happens in the end but it is a truly chilling story of psychotic obsession and its aftermath.

If you like stories which are twisted psychological and mess with your mind then this definitely fits the bill.

I bought this last month, Apple, really looking forward to reading it now. I think it popped up on one of those '10 thrillers you MUST read' lists.

I could have sworn that I started a thread on this! I read it three years ago when Iwas going to hear Elizabeth Haynes speak at a lit fest and it was a genuine up all night job.  Not perfect but as a page turner it definitely ranks up there at the top.

She's ex police and writes what she knows about. Behind Closed Doors, the second in a police proceedural series, iinvolves sex trafficking and is honestly one of the most shocking- in the sense that it makes you really think - books that I've read for a long time.

It is really good, as Viccie says its a real page turner.  It just gets in your head and you find yourself rooting for her to get away from him. But what I liked best was that it wasn't written in chapters as such it was the series of diary entries, the date and what happened on that day, so you'd get a day from when she was with him and and the bad stuff followed by a present day entry, so you follow her into her downward spiral of being controlled by him to the final abuse scenes where she nearly dies and then intermingled with those the broken woman and the daily struggles she has living in fear and how she slowly starts to heal and get strong again.