I just watched the first episode of this series, which is based on the second book in the series.  I felt exactly the same way watching this episode as I did reading the book that it is based on:  certainty that the main character was so careless with his life that he was always about to die.  In the next episode (based on the first book) we will see what about his childhood engendered that carelessness.  

I thought it was excellent and despaired of anyone being able to translate that gorgeous language about terrible things visually, but they did.  Has anyone else seen it? 

Not yet, I thought that I had set it to record but it hasn't so will have to get it on catch-up TV.  Looking forward to it.  

I haven't read the books, though

I agree with you Binker that it was a good first episode.  I have read many of Edward St Aubyn's Melrose novels and am looking forward to the next episodes.

I watched the first episode and was instantly hooked, I've not read the books so I was coming into it with no preconceptions or any clue as to the plot.  After the first episode my husband said he didn't like it, he said it was weird, but I persuaded him to stick with it as I was convinced something terrible had happened to him for him to be behaving the way he was, and the way his addiction was portrayed was epic we have now got to episode 3 which we watched last night and it seems he has replaced one addiction for another, but its so good, very compelling - due to the clearly excellent writing and the stellar performance of Benedict Cumberbatch

Edited by Apple