Are you ever too old to read books aimed at children and the young adult market? I think in recent times after the Harry Potter phenomenon that it has become more acceptable for adults to read books which are primarily aimed at children because so many adults became genuinely interested in the stories after buying them and reading them with their kids and by the end the line was very blurred as to whether or not these were children's stories.  Having said that, if it was acceptable for adults to read books primarily aimed at children why did the publisher's go on to release 'adult covers' of the Harry Potter series? That was almost enforcing the view that there was something to be ashamed about if you bought and read a children's book and the fact you did, needed to be hidden.

There are a number of books and authors who have written quality novels which happily straddle between children's and adult literature.  Personally speaking, I don't differentiate or really notice what is considered an 'adult' book and what is a 'children's' book, if it's a good story which keeps me interested then that is all I am bothered about.

There are some quality stories out there, I was a fan of the Harry Potter series and felt a sense of bereavement when the series came to an end, but off the top of my head I can name many books I have read which actually surprised me when I discovered they were aimed at the childrens and young adult market.

For example:

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

The Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz

His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman 

There are also a number of books which I read during my childhood which I will happily pick up and re-read now, not out of a sense of nostalgia but because they were really good stories, There is a Happy Land by Keith Waterhouse, The Ghost of Thomas Kemp by Penelope Lively and Carrie's War by Nina Bawdon are ones which spring to mind and are all on my bookshelf.

So, having rambled on and said all that - Are you ever too old to read children's books?

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Are you ever too old to read books aimed at children and the young adult market? I think in recent times after the Harry Potter phenomenon that it has become more acceptable for adults to read books which are primarily aimed at children because so many adults became genuinely interested in the stories after buying them and reading them with their kids and by the end the line was very blurred as to whether or not these were children's stories.  Having said that, if it was acceptable for adults to read books primarily aimed at children why did the publisher's go on to release 'adult covers' of the Harry Potter series? That was almost enforcing the view that there was something to be ashamed about if you bought and read a children's book and the fact you did, needed to be hidden.

There are a number of books and authors who have written quality novels which happily straddle between children's and adult literature.  Personally speaking, I don't differentiate or really notice what is considered an 'adult' book and what is a 'children's' book, if it's a good story which keeps me interested then that is all I am bothered about.

There are some quality stories out there, I was a fan of the Harry Potter series and felt a sense of bereavement when the series came to an end, but off the top of my head I can name many books I have read which actually surprised me when I discovered they were aimed at the childrens and young adult market.

For example:

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

The Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz

His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman 

There are also a number of books which I read during my childhood which I will happily pick up and re-read now, not out of a sense of nostalgia but because they were really good stories, There is a Happy Land by Keith Waterhouse, The Ghost of Thomas Kemp by Penelope Lively and Carrie's War by Nina Bawdon are ones which spring to mind and are all on my bookshelf.

So, having rambled on and said all that - Are you ever too old to read children's books?

In short, no.  Like you I do not check which age group a book is aimed at, if I want to read it then I'll read it.  I normally read at home but if I'm out and about and someone (who doesn't know me, obviously) wants to get stroppy about it they will suffer the sharp end of my tongue for interfering.  I have read the Harry Potter series and loved it.  I kept them so will go back and read them again.  I knew that the authors you mention are children's authors but that would not stop me reading them.  Last year I read Alice Through the Looking Glass and the previous year I read Alice in Wonderland. Other than that since I don't check what age group the book is aimed at I don't really know if I have read any Children's/Young Adult books recently.  I subscribe to the theory 'why should children have all the fun'  There are more books available for children now than there were when I was a child and I don't see why I should not read them.

Nope, read whatever you want. Read for pleasure first and foremost. I love lots of CYA books.

Definitely. I've just finished Frances Hardinge The Lie Tree, aimed at CYA and enjoyed it very much. On the radio recently I heard someone bemoan the loss of plot in novels other than crime novels, but in the best CYA you get all the characterisation and atmosphere but with great plots too.

While Young Adult books are more aimed towards teenagers, adults often find them fun to read. There is not as much detailed, gory violence or gratuitous sex in young adult novels than in adult novels, even though there is violence and romance in YA books. I would most definitely recommend reading YA books. :)

Some CYA books are better written because they generally have less pages to tell the story and get to the point much quicker. Some...cause clearly Harry Potter books are loooong!