Sign in to follow this  
poison_ivy

Which translation app are you using?

Hi all! :)

I was wondering which translation app are you currently using for going abroad or translating unfamiliar words from texts? Please, leave your suggestions below, I am sick of google translate and I am looking for an alternative!

A German friend :D

Seriously, she's great when it comes to these things as she is a translator.

Really seriously, the only place outside of UK & Ireland, I've gone is netherlands, so their English is good.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GamingGirlHeaven
      Okay so i read to book in the 4th grade and i can't seem to find it well actually its a book series i don't remember the author or any quotes so I'm gonna describe a bit of the story
      Its about this girl who later in the story is on the run and a boy who is good at lock picking
      I can't remember the cover i also remember the girls past is unknown to her  but this is all i remember oh and its science fiction i think
      PLEASE help me find this book thank you
    • By iff
      Review of Go Went Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck, translated by Susan Bernofsky

The novel starts with Richard retiring from the university where he has worked as a professor for many years (well his new title is Professor Emeritus). His wife died a couple of years ago and his recent partner left him after having an affair. He can't go in his boat as a swimmer died in the lake it is tied to and the swimmer is still there. Essentially into enterring retirement, Richard is feeling at a loose end, missing many important things to occupy his mind.

He hears on the news about protests at oranienplatz where a number of refugees from African countries are protesting about their treatment by going on hunger strike. Richard himself had experience of being a refugee, he was born in Silesia, Germany in the early 1940's and was part of the mass evacuations of the area with the approaching Russian soldiers, neary getting parted at the age of 3 from his mother as Germans crowded on to trains to get out (an issue covered in Walter Kempowski's All for Nothing)

Out of having nothing to occupy his mind more than anything, Richard composes some questions he wants to ask the refugees about their situation but the Berlin senate comes to compromise with the protesters, moving them to an old retirement home to await decisions before Richard can talk to any of these. Richard does go to the retirement home and arranges with the staff there, to talk  to the refugee and gets to know them personally.

This is interwoven with interactions Richard has with existing friends and acquaintances. Jenny Erpenbeck makes splendid use of history to draw parralels between international borders, national identity and references through out the novel to the old East Germany, a country to which Richard had lived most of his adult live but no longer exists. National identity and borders are an interest of mine so these parts particularly resonated to me.

I thought the writer made a great job in both telling the story of the refugees and making an excellent novel through it. Richard is well formed character and it was an interesting read

• By meidlin
      Hey all - my name is Mike Eidlin and I'm a co-founder of bookmarq. We recently launched our v1.0 out on the app store, but I was hoping to get some feedback from book lovers! We are still a very early stage startup, but our mission is to help you find out what books your friends and influencers are reading.

We've found that goodreads aims to connect authors to readers, while we'd like to connect readers to readers. You can even import your goodreads library when you sign up  

Unfortunately we're iOS only at the moment, because our team is still tiny (5 of us total). Your feedback would directly influence what features we would put out in the future! We've partnered up with Barnes & Noble to get our data from them, so we're super excited about that.

Would you mind trying out our app? Perhaps letting me know on this forum, what you think, what features you'd like to see?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bookmarq/id980166926?mt=8