Help Me Find That Book

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've found some more to stick in and stuck it.
I was only thinking last week that it would be a good idea to merge all the threads asking for information about half-forgotten books. It'll be good to have a proper home for all such requests (Adrian will be able to see them much more quickly ;) )

I doubt if you can help me, but here goes.

A few years ago I heard a book being read on radio 4's Afternoon Short Story that's read every weekday at 3:30pm (they call it the 'Afternoon Reading', but I'm not sure it's always been called that). They don't usually have a book read at this time, it's normally short stories, but in this book each chapter was from the point of view of a different person at the funeral of a guy they all knew. I missed the last few chapters of the reading, so never heard the ending.

I can't remember the author or title so I've had no luck trying to trace it. I've tried looking back through the listings for this show, but to no avail - especially as I can't be sure when I heard it. No one could answer me when I asked about it on the radio 4 website either.

So can you help?

in this book each chapter was from the point of view of a different person at the funeral of a guy they all knew.
The only ones that spring to mind that have a similar theme are Last Orders by Graham Swift, or As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. But there are crucial differences to the synopsis you laid out. Have a look at them on Amazon and see if they fit?

I'm looking for a book for my girlfriend for Christmas. I'm afraid I don't have much to go on but here it is...

It's a book thats really nicely presented and each chapter is like a mini book (both literally and figuratively I think!) within the book and they can be read in any order. The mini books were maybe A5 or a little smaller and looked a bit like Moleskine cahiers...

http://www.moleskine.com/eng/_interni/catalogo/Cat_int/catalogo_cahiers.htm

...and they are contained within an outer sleeve that keeps them together.

That's all I know I'm afraid, I know it's awfully random and very little to go on but if by some miracle anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

Been wracking my brains for a book I read years ago - pplease help

Its about a group that poisons the illegal drug supply coming to america and publishes a notice in the newspapers that they have done so and any one using illegal drugs will die. At first aamerica applauds as addicts are dying but then college kids die and a massive search goes on.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Welcome to BGO, bookaddrictia.

I have moved your post to our general-purpose book hunting thread. It is more likely to catch the eye of our bibliosleuths here.

Also up here in the Central Library forum we have a thread for new members to make themselves known to the rest of us. It would be good if you could pop in there and introduce yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Its about a group that poisons the illegal drug supply coming to america and publishes a notice in the newspapers that they have done so and any one using illegal drugs will die. At first aamerica applauds as addicts are dying but then college kids die and a massive search goes on.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Hi Bookaddictria, welcome to BGO. Feeling brave enough to suggest what the book might be (I've surprised myself as I never usually know!). Could it be

Rising Pheonix by Kyle Mills?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I have been trying to find a series of books that I read while at college - 1980 to 83. The story line consisted of a man who had worked for GCHQ. His children were kidnapped by supernatural forces; the basis of the 4 books was his search for the children. His spirit could leave his body to fight off the evil spirits that would attack him from time to time. He used mosaics from the roman villa that his house was built over, as talismans to protect his property. Sounds a bit airy fairy, but was a fantastic read. Can any one help with finding the name of the books and author?

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted in the SciFi thread - maybe it will be more successful here?

I was just wondering if anybody could help itentify a series of books I read about twenty years ago and I can't remember the author or the title!

It was about a group primitive people who discover that the continent that they live on is slowly being colonised by a race of lizards of a far higher intelligence than the humans. All their technology is not mechanical or electrical but biological. They have adapted other animals to be used as transport and weaponry.

If anyone could help me with this I would be grateful as I would love to read them again.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for a short story I read in a crime anthology, probably some time in the nineties. It concerned just a fight in a pub (London?) where the main protagonist is in trouble and some heavies come in. He sorts them out, and I remember a heel to the top of the foot crushing a few bones and a perforated eardrum caused by a cocktail stick. The whole story is the fight but there was just enough extra info to make it a real story.

Hi readaholics/bookworms,

I really need some help locating a book... I don't even know its title or its author! The female writer was interviewed a while ago on a Radio 4 program & the plot was basically that black people were the slave traders/owners & the whites were the slaves. The m!ain or one of the main characters is called Doris. It sounded like a good read but I didn't think to right down the title or the author's name, d'oh! So if anyone's come across a book that matches the description I've given, I'd be very grateful if they could share the info with me.

I have nothing on my TBR mountain that's really appealing to me at the moment & this sounds like a gripping read... Please help me feed my habit!

Ok, I need help trying to find a book that I read a few years ago. It's teen fantasy, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the book, or the author, or even the whole storyline! What I CAN remember, is a few bits and pieces of the book that might sound familiar to someone, so if anybody recognises what the book is please let me know!!!

There was some kind of society of priestesses, and when the High Priestess died, some of the others went on a search for all baby girls born in the same night around the same time as the death as it was the High Priestess reincarnated. They knew which baby it was by keeping a watch on them and if she reached the age of 2 without ever falling ill, then she was taken away from her parents to be initiated into life as a priestess. At one point the parents pretended their daughter was sick by painting red dots on her like chicken pox (i think, as far as i can remember) because they didnt want her taken away!

Another part I can remember is that when the baby girl grows up there is some kind of underground labrinthe that she has to go down through, but in complete blackness because there is no lights, she has to memorize how many steps to take in what direction etc etc...

This is literally everything i can remember about that book lol, I've been craving to read it again for months haha, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I was in an airport bookshop last week and saw a book in a 3 for 2 that I wanted, but I didn't buy it or write down the title, and now I can't see it anywhere.

It was about a Sri Lankan family who had fled to Britain to escape the conflict over there, and how, over time, the different members of the family coped with their dual identities as Asian and British. Has anyone seen it? It's a new paperback. Many thanks!

There was a mention of something like that at the beginning of Woman's Hour this morning. Unfortunately I didn't listen to the programme, but I'll have a think about it - or maybe try the WH website and see if that says anything about it.

Edit: Does this sound like it?

From the Woman's Hour website -

Jennl(Murray) is joined by the Sri Lankan writer Roma Tearne to discuss her new novel, Brixton Beach, which explores the themes that have marked the lives of her own family: identity, homeland, and loss. Roma Tearne was only ten when she fled Sri Lanka with her parents. Open war had broken out on the island, and her Sinhalese mother had been outcast by her family for marrying a Tamil man. The family came to England in search of safety. But her parents never managed to integrate successfully into British society. Roma discusses the autobiographical elements of her new novel and the anger she still feels about the ethnic tension which mired not only the island of her birth, but the lives of both her parents.

If you want to hear the interview, the programme is available on iPlayer for a week