Help Me Find That Book

KenFrAtl

I thought I had it but then realised the book I was thinking of was by the author of Chocolat...one of her other ones...set during WW2 and features fishing for a huge catfish doesn't it?

Hi Cathy!

The Joanne Harris book you're thinking of here is 'Five Quarters of the Orange'... and the fish is a huge old pike...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

megustaleer.....

your synopsis rings a few bells....I was reading almost exclusively horror fiction in the early 1980s and it may be the Blackwater series of stories by Michael McDowell that you are referring to...

done in the format of Green Mile by Stephen King there were five or six separate books comprising a whole although dont think they were published as regularly as Kings novellas...in any case I never followed the story through to the end as they seemed to become less and less supernatural with each instalment and more of a family saga(which may have been the authors intention anyway although his early stories were in the horror field in particular Elementals)

This may be a long shot but I wonder if any of you wonderful people will be able to help. I remember reading a children's poem with my dad when I was about 8 and would love to find it for him. All I remember was that it started "If I had a penny lad what would I buy...?" It would then go on to list things that would be bought for a penny. Hmmmm I know its a bit 'out there' but just on the remote chance someone may recall it or where it was from!

Appreciation in advance!

megustaleer.....

your synopsis rings a few bells....I was reading almost exclusively horror fiction in the early 1980s and it may be the Blackwater series of stories by Michael McDowell that you are referring to...

KenFrAtl has not posted since September, but I have PM'd him to ask if he can give any more clues. I had assumed it was a children's book he was looking for, which would discount the Michael McDowell series, but I might be totally wrong. I await his response.

• 1 year later...

This was a separate thread pre-crash, but may as well get added on to here!

PaperPencil 22nd October 2006 12:23 AM

BOOK search...up for a challenge?

Dear all,

Are you up for a challenge?! I do hope so as I need help!

I am looking for a book that I read when I was 10-13 years old (I am 27 at present) and it would not be that difficult, if I knew at least the title of the book or the author's name :(

But I don't...

All I can remember about the book is:

1) It was the story of a boy who met a frog and somehow the frog entered the boy's heart and started to live in there. The boy and the frog lived "together" for years...until boy grows up. The frog was like the boy's internal voice and friend.

2) I can't be certain but I believe there is something to do with a boarding school in the plot or a religious education.

3) All that I can remember was that the book was red and quite thick.

It was a book written for children or young adults as I was a teenager when I read it. I returned to the library where I got it from but no luck...nobody knows about this book.

I don't even know what is the original language of the book...as I read it in Portuguese (I could not speak English at the time and I did not live abroad then) but something tells me the book was not by a Brazilian/Portuguese authors as I remember things were different like the boarding school thing in the plot (which does not exist in the Brazilian Culture).

Does anybody knows this book? Or read something that sounds familiar to the book info that I remember? Please, please, please...if you do, let me know! I have been trying to search this book like mad...I would love to read it again as only years after I realised how important that book was for me...

I am open to suggestions...

Keep reading!

xx

Adrian 22nd October 2006 04:39 AM

The Frog, by John Hawkes maybe?

John Hawkes's amazing new tale opens as a French child, asleep beside a lily pond shortly before the First World War, swallows a frog. Mysteriously, the creature survives within him - a companion throughout a life filled with physical and psychological pain but also with a strange, frog-given, exhilarating power over others. An Aesopian fable? An ironic children's story? The Frog goes far beyond these, as the adventures of Pascal, the misanthropic victim, and Armand, the tyrannical frog, move between a chateau, a mental institution, and a brothel. Soon The Frog becomes a mock philosophical treatise on the culinary arts, the limits of belief, the sinister appeal of illness, and - as the frog usurps even Pascal's sexuality - eroticism. This brilliantly styled parable of violence and illusion explores with aching poignancy the very qualities that make us human.

It has a reddish cover

Hazel 22nd October 2006 09:40 AM

Blimey Adrian, if that's not it, I don't think the book exists!

Tess 22nd October 2006 02:37 PM

Nice work Adrian! :arms:

PaperPencil 24th October 2006 12:23 AM

Adrian,

You have just become my hero!!! I believe that is the book!! I dont remember the cover but...I am sure the story matches (I can't remember it all) but I agree with Hazel...if that is not the book...maybe I have imagined it all...cause everything seems to match.

Going to the library/book shop tomorrow morning to try to get my hands on it.

Thank you so much!

You have just become my HERO!

Everything on my reading list is suspended (even academic books!) This book has priority!

xxx

Tess 24th October 2006 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPencil

Going to the library/book shop tomorrow morning to try to get my hands on it.

Thank you so much!

You have just become my HERO!

xxx

I love happy endings :D

Hazel 24th October 2006 10:49 AM

Awww...PaperPencil happy as a sunbeam, Adrian a hero...who says the world is a bad place? That reunion of book and reader has made my day! Congrats to both PP and Ade. :beerchug:

Part 2

David 24th October 2006 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel

Awww...PaperPencil happy as a sunbeam, Adrian a hero...who says the world is a bad place?

BGO has turned into a wonderful world of magical pairings, lately.

Adrian rides on his antipodean white charger to the rescue of PaperPencil in her tower of forgetfulness.

Elsewhere we read 'Scottish Sweetheart: the Ballad of Hazel and Deino', a tragic tale of long-distance adoration, thwarted by geography and inclement weather.

'Tis enough to make your heart swell!

;)

Hazel 24th October 2006 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by David

Elsewhere we read 'Scottish Sweetheart: the Ballad of Hazel and Deino', a tragic tale of long-distance adoration, thwarted by geography and inclement weather.

:D Very amusing David. You have been especially comedic lately - have you switched pills?

David 24th October 2006 01:01 PM

Very amusing David. You have been especially comedic lately - have you switched pills?

Oh I'm just a funny guy, Hazel - everyone tells me so.

Ah...no, now I think about it I'm paraphrasing. 'Strange' was the actual word they used.

Hmmmmm.

In truth, though, I've been doing a lot more writing recently and I think the mood has spilled out a bit into my posts - especially since I'll often take a break from writing by popping into BGO.

Hazel 24th October 2006 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by David

In truth, though, I've been doing a lot more writing recently and I think the mood has spilled out a bit into my posts - especially since I'll often take a break from writing by popping into BGO.

Long may it continue.

Flingo 24th October 2006 09:25 PM

Long may it continue.

I'll second that! Never a visit goes by at the moment without me bursting into laughter and getting strange looks from the spider that lives above our PC!

David 24th October 2006 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flingo

Never a visit goes by at the moment without me bursting into laughter and getting strange looks from the spider that lives above our PC!

Well, spiders are notoriously humourless creatures, it has to be said. ;)

Flingo 24th October 2006 10:21 PM

Particularly when it rains....

PaperPencil 24th October 2006 10:38 PM

Searched the local library...they dont have it :(

Gonna search the local shops on Thursday....I am working tomorrow all day long...

well...if I have waited that much...I can wait a day or two longer!!!

xx

Hmmm I wonder what happened to that spider - he isn't there any more...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Having introduced myself in a previous thread, thought I had better just re introduce myself as I am a newbie to this forum. I am lisa, 33 years old, Live in West Yorkshire UK and the mother of 3 and a half year old twin daughters. I enjoy fiction books from authors such as Kathy Reichs, Richard Patterson, Patricia Cornwell etc. My partner is an avid world war II history book fanatic, particularly if its about the role of the Lancaster Bomber in the war.

Anyway.... I digress.

The reason for this post ( and I hope its in the right section???) is we are desperately trying to find a book we both remember reading in about 1984 / 85 but cannot remember who the author was or what the book's title was. ( not much help so far I know!!!).

The book was Fiction and told the story of a young boy's account of witnessing a nuclear attack on his home town (we think was Bradford) and the after effects and experiences following the attack.

The book describes how he goes for a bike ride (to Ilkey Moor we think) and whilst resting witnesses the attack. He cycles back to find the devastation, encounters the black rain etc.

This is about as much as we remember ( my partner was about 12 / 13 at the time I was 11/12.)

If anyone out there knows of this book or can add to our search for it we would be more than grateful.

We are certain of the books existence as we both remember it and were at seperate schools at the time. We know this probably sounds a little similar to the TV series Threads and a few people have accused us of being confused but we feel that we can't both be mixed up about the existence of such a book.

Many thanks in advance of any help we can get on this.

Lisa

Hope someone out there can shed some light on the subject

Many thanks, Sorry for putting it in the wrong area. Didn't really know where to put it.

Both my partner and I hope someone remembers this story. It's driving us mad. We have done a big google search but have come up a blank (not surprising due to our limited memory of this book). The only thing we are sure of is that it does exist, even if long out of print and now a rarity as we both re aware of it and my partner went to school in a completely different town to me.

Would be great if we can find it and get a copy.

Hi Lisa

Its called 'Brother in the Land' and its by Robert Swindells. Its actually a children's book believe it or not.

Amazon have it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-2858962-6815621?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=swindells&Go.x=9&Go.y=6

Try that link. Or better still use the amazon link on BGO....

Many many thanks. My partner and I owe you a pint. You are a star. Definitely going to purchase it.

Once again, Many many thanks... What a wealth of knowledge there is out there.

Lisa

Many many thanks. My partner and I owe you a pint. You are a star. Definitely going to purchase it.

Once again, Many many thanks... What a wealth of knowledge there is out there.

Lisa

If you are going to buy it from Amazon, Lisa, perhaps you'd be kind enough to use click on one of the Amazon links dotted around the site, rather than the link above. That was, you pay the same price, but 5% of anything you spend comes back to us, and helps keep Book Group Online going.

Thanks. (Great sleuthing, gg106!)

• 1 month later...

Hi all

This is going to sound lame, but I am trying to find a book which I forgotten the title & the female author!!! helpful I know!

I saw it in a book store at Oslo airport-in English, paperback.

It is a love adventure story-based on a story told to the author by a grandma-I think it a newely released book & the winner of a book report.

The tiltle is the name of the two characters one male one female separated by the word and eg **** and ****

If anyone can help I would be greatly pleased :o

Thank you xxxx

Welcome to BGO, Penny72.

We have had some success in tracing books for people in the past, but there is very little distinctive detail to go on here. Your description could apply to quite a few books.

This will be the greatest challenge yet for Adrian, the acknowledged BGO champion booksleuth!

Whether we identify your book or not, do come and say 'hello' in the Please Introduce Yourself thread in Central Library, where we can welcome you properly, and can answer any questions you might have about this site.

• 5 months later...

So a couple of months ago I was viewing some authors webpage and I read the 1st chapter of one of her books. Now I really want to read that book but I can't remember the name of the author or the book. :(

Here's what I can remember:

A female agent(FBI or something) is on a mission and she somehow messes up and the bad guys start shooting at her, she flees and ends up in a body of water(either a lake or the ocean I don't remember which) and she ends up getting picked up by a helicopter and people that she knows are in it...for some reason I think she was trying to prove something by completing the mission and because she had failed she was very concerned.

I know its not much to go on, but I'm hoping that someone can help

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Can anybody help with this search, please?

A friend of mine is very keen on reading The Blind Beak by Ernest Dudley. I believe it is a biography of the Fielding brothers.

Having requested a copy at the local library, they have been informed her that the only copy available in the library system is at The British Library and they cannot send out their only copy to a borrower.

I have searched Amazon and it is available but at a cost of £15 and upwards and my friend, a pensioner, does not want to pay this much. I have also looked at ebay and readitswapit.co.uk, but to no avail.

Are there any other avenues (apart from looking in every charity shop we know locally - which is ongoing) that might be open to us. I have a feeling that if the book is this rare it is going to cost at least £15 to acquire it, but thought I would ask this august gathering of bibliphiles in case my thinking is not lateral enough.

It's not on Greenmetropolis.com, but you can put it on a wishlist there and if anyone loads in on to be sold then you will be notified. All books there are £3.75, plus postage if it is bigger than a standard paperback.

I also looked at Abebooks.co.uk, and it is priced at £15 and £14 plus around £3 postage.

I found this short article which made me think of looking for other biographies of the fieldings but I couldn't find any. What I did find was this series of works of fiction featuring John Fielding by Bruce Alexander.

Also eBay has a few books by Ernest Dudley at reaonable prices so it may be work looking there every so often.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this thread.

I am searching for a book i read a year or two ago but cannot remember the title or author, a big task i know.

The book was one of the Penguin collection they started releasing a couple of years ago, again i cant remember what they called this collection but it was the ones with all the very individual cover art and they used to sell them in WHSmith together on a spinning rack.

Anyhow, the book is a collection of short stories (sc fi themed) by a single author, the first story is about a man in the near future who is purchasing parts from the store to slowly upgrade himself to some sort of robot, as he does so he gains an increasing disgust with his wife.

If this rings a bell with anyone any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best