Sign in to follow this  
KenFrAtl

Help Me Find That Book

On 30/08/2017 at 12:59, megustaleer said:

Someone on another (not book related) forum has asked about the following book. No-one has been able to help yet.

Anyone here recognise this?

Yes I recognise this it’s Property of a Gentleman by Catherine Gaskin.

I saw a book at a grocery store a few month back but now that I want to buy it I cant remember the name. Its a kids or teen novel where some event mashed togather time creating a world where all time periods exist at once. Zepplins fly though the air and robots walk on the ground. The main charactor is a boy in a school with kids from all time periods and cultures, oh and it might take place in New York. Please help me

Hi, this is my first post, please be kind ;)

Iam looking for 2 Books.

The first one is Star wars, and iam pretty sure its legends. The story takes place years after the destruction of the second death star, when the remnants of the empire start a counter offensive, conquer many planets and theatening the new republic. I specificly remember that they captured some planets with massive grain production to feed their army. The republic is very much confused how they could conquer those planets, when their planetarian shields were up all the time. I think, they also captured some shipyards. The book is at least before 2013, if not 2010.

The second book is one of the most f***ed up books, i have ever read as a child. The protagonist is an apprentice of either an assassin or a mass murder (which is basicly the same). His master has a special collection in his dungeon. Living and breathing human bodies, 10 or more, which he has surgically freed of their limbs and put them in some kind of machine, which feed them and get rid of their needs. Whenever the master is bored, he talks with them. I specificly remember, that one of them was a psychologist who tried his best to treat the master and talk himself free. The protagonist was in charge of cleaning the bodies / the dungeon / the machines and fell in love with a girl from outside. They both then kill the master, kill his collection and get rid of their bodies. The book ends with both lovebirds having a picnic in a public park, killing innocent bystanders just for fun. I have read that book in German, i think between 1997 and 2004(?). The story does not take place in germany and i firmly believe it has a foreign (non german) author.

---
If you can help me, feel free to do so.

Edited by Dirk Trutz
corrected errors

Some time ago I began reading a book in a hospital waiting room. Unfortunately I cannot recall the title or author. It was a fictional story of two brothers in 17/18th century Germany. They murdered a whole family of neighbours and as far as I recall they ended up being trapped in an Egyptian tomb they were try to rob.

Can anyone tell me anything about this book?

Help! I’ve been thinking of a book I read probably back in like 2009 which was popular in like the teen fiction and young adult, dark romance genres. I was hoping someone would know what book it is.

My memory is a bit hazy so I don’t remember much but I remember the main character was a girl who has a companion (don’t remember what the companion was) and they travel back in time, they’re in search of a particular item. When she arrives back in time (early 1900 England I think) she’s in a field and it’s by a mansion/manor where she pretends to be a scullery maid. They venture to a haberdashery and I don’t remember much more from there

Bibliophile, I have merged your post with our all-genre book-search thread. I'm not familiar with many YA books, so can't help you, but I hope someone will recognose it.

Hi, I'm really hoping that someone out there might be able to help. I'm trying to figure out the title of a book that i read a long time ago, the plot goes a bit like this; it is set in a little village during one of the World Wars (I cant remember which now!!) and it focuses on 3 siblings who all have very different roles within the story, there are 2 boys and 1 girl, the girl becomes a nurse and eventually gets sent to the front lines, she has a hard time to begin with but becomes hardened by the end. The younger boy wants to join in the war but is too young to join, eventually he travels to (I think!) Scotland where he makes them believe that he is older than he actually is, he gets sent off to the front and fights in the war, he gets stuck in one of the towns in belgium/france and he ends up meeting an enemy soldier who is the same age as him and they become allies. The older boy is a conscientious objector and gets ridiculed within the village that they are in because of this. That's all i can remember - hopefully someone recognises it!!  

Hi Elenelly123.  I've merged your post into the appropriate thread.  I don't recognise the book, hopefully someone else here can help.

I wonder if anyone can help me although I know it's a long shot. I bought a book around a year ago and it was a fantastic read, for clarity it was in South Wales and I bought it from asda, go figure. This book was about a man who sat in a park every day at lunch time (may or may not have been new york city) next to a lake. One day across the lake he sees a little boy, as time goes on he tries to talk to said little boy and notices more and more that the child looks neglected. All the child does is pick up a stick and trail it in the water for a bit before leaving. I have a lot of sketchy memories of this book so please forgive me if I'm rambling. As the story progresses, the man goes to find where the boy lives, when he arrives at the home, he hears the husband attacking his wife at night and he comes across an 18year old who's angry at the abuse. They burst in to protect the boy and wife and the 18 year old shoots the husband and wife in a rage. They then flee to a shack in the woods where this 18 year old has been living, they're now on the run from the police. They end up in a bar where they're caught up in a fight and arrested. Turns out the 18 year old is a figment of the man's imagination and I think he has a split personality disorder? The book had a blue cover with a little boy on it, sorry its not a lot to go on but it's driving me mad! 

sploosh's new thread merged with the appropriate one for asking members help to find forgotten books. books.

How people keep missing the "Help Me FindThat Book is beyond me. It is pinned as the first thread in the Central Library - where they go to post their new request !!! 

On 13/01/2018 at 03:49, Dirk Trutz said:

The second book is one of the most f***ed up books, i have ever read as a child. The protagonist is an apprentice of either an assassin or a mass murder (which is basicly the same). His master has a special collection in his dungeon. Living and breathing human bodies, 10 or more, which he has surgically freed of their limbs and put them in some kind of machine, which feed them and get rid of their needs. Whenever the master is bored, he talks with them. I specificly remember, that one of them was a psychologist who tried his best to treat the master and talk himself free. The protagonist was in charge of cleaning the bodies / the dungeon / the machines and fell in love with a girl from outside. They both then kill the master, kill his collection and get rid of their bodies. The book ends with both lovebirds having a picnic in a public park, killing innocent bystanders just for fun. I have read that book in German, i think between 1997 and 2004(?). The story does not take place in germany and i firmly believe it has a foreign (non german) author.

---
If you can help me, feel free to do so.

Bit late, but this description reminded me of this book -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KRABAT-Library-Books-Otfried-Preussler/dp/0007395116/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541356079&sr=8-2&keywords=The+satanic+mill

a few years ago i got a book from a charity shop now ive lent it out and not got it back it was about a couple of bikers working the're across australia one of the fell through a roof while working and the other one had an agonising desion to help him die btw it was a true story and called somthing like a long goodbye ...... thats all i can remember 

regards mat

I would like to introduce you to BookBuddy.

BookBuddy is a co-bot. The co-bot (companion bot) helps you find a book in the category that appeals to you.
BookBuddy is part of my graduation thesis. The aim of this thesis is to investigate how the use of companion bots is experienced.

Are you curious?
spacer.png

Edited by tagesmann
link removed