Bury Your Dead

cherrypie

Well I thought that the last in the Chief Inspector Gamache series, The Brutal Telling, was good but I think that this book may be even better!  I was gripped until the very end. 

It actually tells three stories regarding three different crimes.  One is the continuation of the story told in the previous book and is investigated by Gamache's second in command Inspector Beauvoir who narrates this part of the book.  The second concerns a crime that has happened in the recent past and the main part of the story is told by Gamache replaying a conversation over in his mind.  The third is a current crime and takes place in Quebec city.  A man has been brutally murdered in a library where the English citizens of Quebec safeguard their history. The death opens a door to the past, exposing a mystery that has lain dormant for years.

I found the way in which Louise Penny managed to weave the three stories around one another really well done. I had to concentrate a bit but it was in no way a difficult read.  Many of the characters from the previous books appear in this one even though the main part of the action does not take place in Three Pines.  I was held by all three stories until the very end and cannot say that I guessed the climax of any of the three stories.

When the climax of the three stories came I just could not put the book down.  By the end of the book I was practically out of breath!  I found the ending of all three stories quite heartbreaking as well as surprising. 

This is far more than a crime novel.  It tells a lot about a part of Quebec history and taught me much apart the place that I did not know.  All three crimes were cleverly told without being gory or using bad language but the best part of the book are the human stories. As I read each book I find myself caring more and more for many of the characters.  I would certainly recommend this series to other readers.  The first few books I found to be quite comfortable reads but as I go along I am finding that the books are getting better and better.   Brilliant!

I enjoy all of Louise Penny's books - would be nice to visit Her Three Pines location.  I get her newsletter once a month and it's always interesting.  I think she may have a place in London now since her husband passed away.

Three Pines sounds beautiful, especially in the snow.  I am not sure that I would want to visit for too long though as I hate the cold and damp!!  I think that I would also find it a little disappointing without all of the characters from the books being there. Louise Penny has a wonderful talent for creating very real and human characters.  So much so that I the reader can almost feel as if I know them. That is one of the joys of following a series of books in this way for me.  I think that it says a lot about the author of a book if they can make the reader really care about the outcome for their characters.

There apparently is a little shop near where the location of Three Pines would be were it real and they sell Three Pines coffee cups and other oddments.  I've been to Quebec but it was many years ago and not near where the 'location' of the books is sited.