Viccie

Are audio books the same as reading print?

14 minutes ago, Hazel said:

Are any of us actually Audible members? I am seriously considering signing up as I am increasingly enjoying listening to books and podcasts when I walk the dog,  so interested in joining Audible. 

I hope, for safety reasons, that you only listen through one ear.

Sorry,  not a member

Edited by lunababymoonchild

On 11/04/2018 at 16:57, Hazel said:

Are any of us actually Audible members? I am seriously considering signing up as I am increasingly enjoying listening to books and podcasts when I walk the dog,  so interested in joining Audible. 

I was a member a few years ago. I paid about £8 per month for two books. Technically I am still a member, but without an active subscription. So all of my books are still available to listen to again. It’s a part of the Amazon family now. Nowadays I get my audiobooks from the library.  Our library uses the rb digital service for books, graphic novels and audiobooks.

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Found this article on the BBC website that gives an interesting (imho) point of view.

Why more authors are going audio-only 

That’s a good article which explores some of the pros and cons. I think this highlights that the perception of audiobooks is changing. But experiencing audiobooks changes opinions.

On 4/11/2018 at 16:57, Hazel said:

I have been a member for years now and really like service. I pay £7.99 a month for one book but they don deals of the day and I find I'll usually buy at least a couple of those (£1.99 or 2.99) a month and those last me the full month. I've always got credits to use and I have plenty of books on their cloud waiting to be read. I listen using my phone and the app is easy to use and everything works fine. 

4 hours ago, Tay said:

I listen using my phone and the app is easy to use and everything works fine. 

The app works well on Android and IOS.  And the files (.aa) play well on ipods and other mp3 players (Sansa clip, for example)

My mom and I would listen to audiobooks when driving to my grandparents' (her parents') house . The eight hour drive is certainly made much faster with the sounds of books in our ears... But there has been a time when we saw someone give us an odd look at a red light due to the fact that tears were streaming down our face. Good times.