lunababymoonchild

How to read more books

I have a lot of trouble with no 7.

I used to be able to curl up in a chair to read, but curling up, or even just sitting in one position leads to stiffness and aching joints in a very short time.  If i do get comfortable my eyes tire quickly, and I fall asleep. Also, I need good light, preferably daylight - but combining a good light source with somewhere comfortable to sit has been difficult for several years, both in our old house and the new.

With no. 3, I tend to do this as I pick several books from my tbr, place them on a stool and when I start the last, I repeat this.

No. 6 is very true, with poor books I find my mind wandering. Though I find it difficult to give up.

With you on No 3 iff. I have a tbr mound but will jump to a book I've just bought. It's how I feel on the day of choosing.

Disagree with 8 totally, seems to make reading a chore/job.

Agree with No 6 although some books that have started bad do get better.Judgement call.

No 9 made me smile. When a book grips I find it hard to stop.

No 7 is my sofa and bed. Meg try the kindle with a back light.

17 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I have a lot of trouble with no 7.

I used to be able to curl up in a chair to read, but curling up, or even just sitting in one position leads to stiffness and aching joints in a very short time.  If i do get comfortable my eyes tire quickly, and I fall asleep. Also, I need good light, preferably daylight - but combining a good light source with somewhere comfortable to sit has been difficult for several years, both in our old house and the new.

Perhaps you need a standing table in good light? I spend most of my working day at sit/stand desks. It’s better for my back and I can walk around to ease my feet.

1-I always have a book with me. I have them stashed in both cars and in my backpack. I'm more likely to leave home without food, water, or wallet, than without a book.

2- My only habitual reading time is before bed, which isn't always the best time to read. 
3- I always know what I plan to read next, and about half the time that actually happens😉
4- I've tried audiobooks but I don't hear that well, and frequently miss words. Plus, it seems harder to focus when it's just another voice in my head
5-Joining BGO really broadened my reading horizons, but I don't often get the level of discussion I'd like, mostly because we aren't all reading it at the same time. A real life book group would cure that, but would demand time that could be better spent on actual reading. 
6- I go back and forth on this. The only time I seem able to just walk away from a book is if I actually feel dread at the prospect of continuing to read it. But I would read a lot more books I really enjoyed if I was willing to give up more often. It's those occasionally rewarding books that weren't particularly pleasurable to read that confuse the issue. The original trilogy of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever, is the best recent example of that. Or, for very different reasons, Creation by Gore Vidal. 
7- A lack of distractions is paramount, at least if the book is at all complicated. But random noisiness isn't nearly as troublesome as voices, whether they are actual people or TV or radio characters. In fact street sounds and other white noise can actually help me to concentrate on my reading. 
8-Setting reading goals really upped my volume in 2016, but it did, as Clavain mentioned, start to feel like work. And it also interfered with other activities that I really enjoy. But lowering goal expectations would probably fix that. 
9- No way in heck I'm putting a book down when it gets really good! But I will sometimes stop when I know I'm getting to a key section, if I'm not sure I'll have time to get through it. Or if my concentration is flagging. 
10- For me, the topic doesn't matter as much as the writing. I would much rather read Stegner on Knitting, than Grisham on Fishing. 

Than you Dan that's very comprehensive.

as for me:

1 I have been known to take books with me if I know that I'll be waiting for a while, otherwise not

2 I read all the time, as and when it suits - if I'm out I can read something on my Kindle app on the phone - does that mean I always have a book with me? 

3 This was very useful to me in 2016 when Apple challenged me to a reading challenge.  I read all the books in the 12 categories in 5 months and kept going.  At the end of the year I was surprised to find that I'd read more than I ever had.  Otherwise I have a list in my head of what I want to read and read accordingly.

4 I have listened in the past, mostly when I couldn't get to sleep but not really that interested

5 Here is more than enough for me

6 Always my standpoint.  Too many books and not enough time to stay with a book I'm not enjoying.  That said there has been an exception last year with Final Solution which I did stick with

7 Sorted.  My own chair, my own reading light and the TV does get switched off

8 I had that in 2016 and it was easily achievable but I don't generally set targets, although I am guilty of counting pages and setting a minimum number in a set time

9 No can do!  Gotta find out what happens next

10 Always willing to try something new and not afraid to work at it.  I like to read an author's whole canon, just not all at once

thanks to everyone else, very interesting indeed

Elder Son uses a standing desk ai work and at home, but my back doesn't like me standing much, either - I'm at my most comfortable walking about and pottering, but that doesn't work so well for reading.

I am more inclined to read on the bus, or in a waiting room, when I know I have a defined period of time to fill. I wonder if that dates back to the days when I was working, and reading was fitted in the spaces between work and housework, and was pretty well the only time that was just mine?

Maybe I should take more bus journeys? A 20minute (approx.) bus ride to the next town, a cup of coffee and 20minutes back once or twice a week might, now I no longer feel the need to look at the sea all through the journey, get me back into the habit.

Didn't read the list as it's getting late but I always have a book available, not a physical book, at the moment it's books on my IPad as I wait for my new Kindle.  I get a bit panicky if I don't have something lined up to read and it's a big disappointment if I am down to one book and it's a non-starter.  Loved Dan's quote he'd rather read Stegner on Knitting than Grisham on Fishing.  Also need to be in a comfortable chair to read, wouldn't be able to stand up to read as standing is a big problem for me these days, even sit down to peel potatoes and do food prep, crampy back is a nuisance.

I read most of Fire and Fury, found later on in the book I was scanning a lot of it, reading about the rich, power hungry, manipulating, politicking became really rather depressing - a lot of what I read is very similar to Trump's behaviour during his first year in office and his sidekick (now on the outs) Bannon, is not a pleasant character.  Didn't mean to run on about the book.

Viccie recommended an author previously unknown to me and it's the kind of mystery/thriller I enjoy so she has been added to my list of interesting authors.  I will go back and check out the "list" during the day - now after midnight and I'm rambling.:scratchhe

A very helpful list was given in the article, a lot of the points made are useful if followed! I will definitely try the ones that I haven't before and see whether they will improve the number of books I read.

Yeah, 9 is a bit strange.This is the main reason why I love books much more than I do series. You can read the whole thing and know what happens at the end without waiting for a week or so. But maybe it works, who knows!

Yes, no 9 is weird. I guess the thing is putting it down with anticipation to look forward to going back to it again

However, I find it it starts getting good to keep going. I rember a couple of times with 40 pages left and a twist, just finishing them then rather than putting them down