Sign in to follow this  
momac

Idle Thoughts - Daydreaming

Just sitting by the window watching the sparrows jostling for a place at the feeder and thinking how much I enjoy a peaceful setting yet I turn on the tv, get bombarded with all the latest bad news and start worrying about the state of the world and lots of other things over which I have no control.  So I sabotage my own enjoyment - or do I just enjoy worrying?  Wondering how other forumers manage or have strategies for staying peaceful of mind?

I've tried to answer this several times and have no idea why I find it difficult.

I watch the news to keep myself informed.  Yes, there are things that concern me and others that downright upset me.  I vent about these, my father patiently listens and then that particular item of news gets dropped for something else and life goes on. That's about all that I can contribute to the discussion.

I don't really worry about things I can't control. The things that worry me are things I could have avoided if I had paid enough attention, like losing my purse, setting the house on fire by leaving the iron on or being seriously ill because I ignored the symptoms when I could have had treatment. I like to be aware of what's going on in the world but it doesn't destroy my peace of mind. 

Imteresting to see other viewpoints.  I think I might just be a chronic worrier now as  such terrible events have happened in our family - when I was younger I was kind of Pollyanna about most things and then had a bad time when bad things happened, what a shock to know that no one is immune from trouble.

One of the circumstances that niggles at me now is our closeness to the US when the "leader of the free world" shows signs of being divorced from reality.  We are about 25 miles from the border and whatever happens down there will certainly impact Canada.

So the trick is to enjoy the house and the garden and all the friendly neighbours we have and be thankful for the things that we have - and be at peace watching the birds, squirrels and rabbits - and there's lots of tennis on the Sports channels to add some mundane enjoyment, not forgetting the world of books to disappear into.   I think my Kindle is my most valuable possession.:hmm:

Now to put into practice what I think I should be doing!

Edited by momac

In my current reading I have a smile about this having a cup of tea brought up to you in the morning.  It must be just an English or Brit custom,  I wouldn't be happy trying to juggle a cup and saucer or a mug just as I woke up even less so if it was breakfast in bed.  Not my idea of luxury! :scratchhe

There was once a time when I waited for mr meg to leave the house before I got up, and he used to bring me a mug of coffee in bed before he left - which was lovely if I was actually awake, but occasionally I was still asleep and he just put the mug down and left without waking me. I wasn't too pleased at waking late to a tepid coffee :(

My morning coffee brought to me meant that could drink it while pottering about upstairs (and usually on the computer to check out BGO & other forums) for a while, rather than go down to the cold kitchen to make my own coffee! Actually trying to drink it while still in bed often ended in disaster and coffee-stained sheets. Sometimes the early coffee was accompanied by a slice of toast, but absolutely no full breakfast to be eaten in, or perched on the edge of, the bed.

Nowadays i get no such  waiting-on. I am usually about for a couple of hours before Mr meg stirs, and he definitely doesn't want waking with a hot drink,

That's set me to thinking about the "Teasmade" gadget.  Is that a peculiarly British thing, I wonder?  My gran had one.  It was a monstrous behemoth that sat on her bedside table.  Each evening before she went to bed my gran would top it up with water and tealeaves, and set it to go off at 7am.  At that time it would whirr, chug and gurgle into life, and make an insipid cup of tea right next to her head for when she woke up.  I could never see the point of it.  All that flim-flam, and the cleaning of the thing, to save, what, a few minutes of going downstairs and boiling the kettle?  Dotty.  :P

My parents had one when I was a child.  First, it woke them up it made so much noise and then they came to the conclusion that it was a lot easier to just make a cup of tea even although one of them had to go downstairs to do it.

They were pretty popular in the mid C20, when going downstairs  to an unheated kitchen first thing on a winter's morning was a bit of an ordeal.

A Teasmade must have seemed the height of comfort. Almost decadent - slipping on your candlewick (or quilted) dressing gown and sitting up in bed with a hot cuppa.