Modern Day Crime Writers

Sounds like a very promising list, RR.

A word of caution with James Lee Burke, however. He has two series characters, ex-New Orleans cop Dave Robicheaux and Billy Bob Holland, an attorney in Montana. I've enjoyed the three Robicheaux novels I've read, which are incredibly atmospheric and Dave's a very likeable character.

However, I find the Holland novels much less convincing. I've read two of the four, "Heartwood" and "Bitterroot" so I'd steer clear of these. The other two are "Cimarron Rose" and "In The Moon of Red Ponies".

I've not read any Greg Iles, but Henning Mankell, Harlan Coben and Mark Billingham are fine writers all.

I've been carefully reading through this thread looking for Christmas present inspiration! I think I've settled on a Christopher Brookmyre ... but which one? Can anyone advise me? I'm looking for something for a 20-year-old, and I'm fairly sure he'll like Brookmyre. I'm just not sure which one to choose. Thanks!

Good choice, dumpling. If you can't find "Quite Ugly One Morning", try his "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night".

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned him or not, but I'm a big fan of Henning Menkell's (Inspector Wallender series), which are set in the town of Ystad (Sweden). There are 8 books in the series (with my favourites being Firewall, Sidetracked and The Dogs of Riga). The central character is quite obstinate, methodical but oh so incredibly persistent. A little like Inspector Morse (of the TV series, rather than the books.

There's also Kinky Freidmans detective series (about the detective of the same name), which were both quirky and interesting. Although as of yet, I've only read Killing Greenwich Meantime and God Bless John Wayne so far..

And should you like non-fiction crime books, I can recommend Homicide: A year on the killing streets by David Simon (in which he spent a year with the a Baltimore city homicide unit). Incidentally, the excellent US TV series Homicide: Life on the street, was losely based upon it. Which is also something that I would recommend investing in. Should you manage to buy a copy of the DVD.

There's also Kinky Freidmans detective series (about the detective of the same name), which were both quirky and interesting. Although as of yet, I've only read Killing Greenwich Meantime and God Bless John Wayne so far.

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. I haven't read any Kinky for yonks; he's great fun.

• 11 years later...