Hi,

New to the forum, hoping to find lots of threads to post on soon. Looks like a good forum so far.

Welcome to BGO Rincewind. Hope you get as much out of tbe site as many of us do! Look forward to reading your posts!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A belated and warm  welcome to BGO, Alan Nash.  I think by now you have discovered we are very friendly and definitely open to lively debate. Good to see you getting to feel at home. :)

Another late welcome to you, Chavain, like Binker I read and thoroughly enjoyed The Golem and the Djinni earlier this year. If you search by Helene Wecker you will find it in 21century Fiction but it is spelled Jinni here as that is the American title spelling, and the first reviews were of American copies. Djinni is in the UK title spelling and was published several months later.

Hi,

New to the forum, hoping to find lots of threads to post on soon. Looks like a good forum so far.

Hello, Rincewind, a new member whose username reflects a touch of TP addiction is most welcome.  Hope you left the luggage behind before you came in and are not planning to wreak havoc here :D  Sam Vimes and The Watch are my particular favourites but I love most of TP's work and we must enjoy it while we can. Have fun here and do not be afraid to ask questions, someone will always help out.

Edited to clarify

Edited by grasshopper

It was spelled "Jinni" here as well.  I just think "Djinni" might have been a typo.

I have got to read me some Terry Pratchett.

Sorry, Binker, didn't make it clear,Jinni is the spelling on our titles as you and I got the US versions early . The UK version published a few months later had Djinni instead. In this case as Helene Wecker is an American author and the title is hers I think it should have stood as it was for the UK readers....another case of simplification for new audience? :naughty:  I have edited the post above to clarify and apologise for all these edits and muddles.

If you start Pratchett please may I suggest you do not begin with the first two, they have put others off  including me for quite a while, the ones following begin to help you understand Discworld and it's capital city Ankh Morpork and the inhabitants.  (Apologies Rincewind you may well disagree about the first two in view of the fact you are the main character in them. )  There are several other individual themes running through the books and all can be stand alone but are interrelated in so many ways mostly it is better to read in order. I think we need a proper Pratchett  author and books thread going and will see if I can organise my thoughts - the volume of work is pretty big now and getting more diverse.

Edited by grasshopper

If you start Pratchett please may I suggest you do not begin with the first two, they have put others off  including me for quite a while, the ones following begin to help you understand Discworld and it's capital city Ankh Morpork and the inhabitants.  (Apologies Rincewind you may well disagree about the first two in view of the fact you are the main character in them. )  There are several other individual themes running through the books and all can be stand alone but are interrelated in so many ways mostly it is better to read in order. I think we need a proper Pratchett  author and books thread going and will see if I can organise my thoughts - the volume of work is pretty big now and getting more diverse.

No worries I would also suggest to a new reader of Pratchett to start with another hope book other than the first two, the Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax books are the best one I think :)

Guest AvidReader

Hiya All,

Also new here, good to see there are also some other Terry Pratchett fans out there. Who doesn't love Granny Weatherwax? And worlds conveyed on the backs of elephants? Ankh-Morpork doesn't really sound like my kind of city, then again perhaps it is. Vampiric watermelons (obscure reference!) and alcohol that is 'mostly apples' sound like a huge amount of fun though. And if you have memories of using a guzunder, as I do, then that is just a delightful new word that has entered my daily lexicon.

I also read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy (but NO vampires, immortal beings and love-sick humans!) On the other end of the scale I also read a lot of translated literature - been diving into Mo Yan and Haruki Murakami lately. Just finished Red Sorghum - disturbing and funny at the same time and The Elephant Vanishes - disturbing portrait of urban life and funny (at the same time).

Hoping for some good discussions on books ...

Hiya All,

Also new here, good to see there are also some other Terry Pratchett fans out there. Who doesn't love Granny Weatherwax? And worlds conveyed on the backs of elephants? Ankh-Morpork doesn't really sound like my kind of city, then again perhaps it is. Vampiric watermelons (obscure reference!) and alcohol that is 'mostly apples' sound like a huge amount of fun though. And if you have memories of using a guzunder, as I do, then that is just a delightful new word that has entered my daily lexicon.

I also read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy (but NO vampires, immortal beings and love-sick humans!) On the other end of the scale I also read a lot of translated literature - been diving into Mo Yan and Haruki Murakami lately. Just finished Red Sorghum - disturbing and funny at the same time and The Elephant Vanishes - disturbing portrait of urban life and funny (at the same time).

Hoping for some good discussions on books ...

I have ally wondered about those vampire Watermelons lol, and I agree with you about on the no vampires, immortal beings or lovesick humans, but would add no love sick vampires to that list :D.

I have read a Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami, I loved the silly surreal quality the book had as well as the layers in the story. It felt a bit like a coherent dream at times :)

A warm welcome to our newest members, Clavain, Rincewind and AvidReader - such intriguing names.  Be aware, that some of us may shorten the names or reduce them to initials - we are very fond of that for all shorts of thing as you will find.  Hopefully you will also find that there is so much here to interest bibliophiles and to discuss on a wide variety of subjects - just like any other RL (real life) reading group (RG) that I've been involved in, and that we are indeed a very friendly and well-behaved lot (apart from all the shortened names and initials perhaps) :yup:

Thanks for the welcomes ;)

And to Ting   Oel ngati kameie, ma Tsmukan, ulte ngaru seiyi ireiyo. Ngari hu Eywa saleu tirea, tokx 'ì'awn slu Na'viyä hapxì. :D

Thanks for the welcomes ;)

And to Ting   Oel ngati kameie, ma Tsmukan, ulte ngaru seiyi ireiyo. Ngari hu Eywa saleu tirea, tokx 'ì'awn slu Na'viyä hapxì. :D

I cannot believe this! Oel ngati kameie, Clavain. (And for anyone who wants to know what ma Tsmukan has just said, he is dedicating my soul to the gods and planning to eat me for supper! What a Skxawng!) Certainly an unusual chat up line :D .

Edited by Ting Mikyunyu
Guest AvidReader

"Kaltxi" to Clavain, Rincewind and AvidReader. Good to have you on board. Seems like you have struck some chords with members already. Looking forward to some great discussions!

Thank  you - what's Lusaka like these days - my mom went to school there waaay back when it was still Northern Rhodesia.

Thank  you - what's Lusaka like these days - my mom went to school there waaay back when it was still Northern Rhodesia.

Your mom would not recognise the place, AvidReader. We have suddenly become the flavour of the month with: the chinese, the australians, the south africans and anyone else who can pull us out of the dark ages and into the magical world of progress and development. It's bad, to tell the truth. They are ripping the place apart for our minerals, our forests and, of course, our wildlife. But, the Zambians are still as laid back as ever, gentle, kind and cunning. When was your mom here? I arrived as a spratling in 1966.

Guest AvidReader

Your mom would not recognise the place, AvidReader. We have suddenly become the flavour of the month with: the chinese, the australians, the south africans and anyone else who can pull us out of the dark ages and into the magical world of progress and development. It's bad, to tell the truth. They are ripping the place apart for our minerals, our forests and, of course, our wildlife. But, the Zambians are still as laid back as ever, gentle, kind and cunning. When was your mom here? I arrived as a spratling in 1966.

please take note of the all important reference to 'when it was still Northern Rhodesia' which predates 1966 by a few years :)

please take note of the all important reference to 'when it was still Northern Rhodesia' which predates 1966 by a few years :)

I suppose what I was really asking was for some dates. There are still people here who she may have known, people like Gabriel Ellison, the artist, who was born here in the mid-thirties; and John Hudson who was the DC in Isoka in '64 and involved in the Lenshina uprising.

Guest AvidReader

I suppose what I was really asking was for some dates. There are still people here who she may have known, people like Gabriel Ellison, the artist, who was born here in the mid-thirties; and John Hudson who was the DC in Isoka in '64 and involved in the Lenshina uprising.

aah well I know she is in touch with some folks through FB. it was just a little extraordinary seeing you are from Lusaka - not a part of the world one 'bumps' into people from. 

Hi all,

This is my first time actually posting on a forum. I love books and I'm  into fiction, suspense, poetry, and romance.

Since this is an introduction post, here's a little about myself:

-I read just about anything, but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily like it. However, I believe in reading a book you don't like to the end if you're going to tell people not to get it. 

-In addition to my love of reading, I also like videogames, music, and writing.

-I'm a marketer.

Thanks!

Edited by ronedrote

Hi all,

This is my first time actually posting on a forum. I love books and I'm  into fiction, suspense, poetry, and romance.

-I read just about anything, but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily like it. However, I believe in reading a book you don't like to the end if you're going to tell people not to get it. 

-I'm a marketer.

Thanks!

Welcome to BGO Ronedrote, all new members are always very welcome. I hope you get as much out of the site as I have since joining last year.

Guest AvidReader

welcome, from one newbie to another, but unlike you I'm an old time forumer. Generally speaking your experience on forums is directly related to what you put in ... so ....

have fun :) 

Hi all,

-I'm a marketer.

Thanks!

Welcome to BGO Ronedrote, all new members are always very welcome. I hope you get as much out of the site as I have since joining last year.

Thank you so much for welcoming me cherrypie...

Kaltxi Ronedrote. Welcome to BGO. I like the idea of a marketeer. Would love to know a bit more about that sometime. And from your list there is a lot for you to start investigating and getting involved with. Poetic Wanderings is a great little thread, which reminds me I haven't contributed for a while ...