• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My name is Scot and i am also new here .in fact this is my first post and nice to meet you all.

Welcome to BGO Scot. I have only been a member a few months but have made many new friends, discovered new authors and read books I would not otherwise have read and been involved in some verly lively discussions. I would not want to be without it now. I hope you enjoy the site as much.

Welcome to BGO Scot. I have only been a member a few months but have made many new friends, discovered new authors and read books I would not otherwise have read and been involved in some verly lively discussions. I would not want to be without it now. I hope you enjoy the site as much.

Thanks for the warm welcome ^__^

Welcome r1yarno.  What an intriguing Username.  A lot of Usernames get shortened but I'm not sure how we could do that with you, but I'm willing to bed someone will think of something.  :yup:

Sounds as if you may have found the right place with BGO.  We think it's the best in the world.   I think everyone of us would say that we have been introduced to books that we might never have considered reading through this wonderful site.

Interesting comment about ereaders helping you with your dyslexia.  Having a son with dyspraxia I can see where that would be the case.

Edit:  Just realised there was another page and so I wrote the above before I saw that your username has already been shortened to Yarno!!  Great.

Welcome also Scot.  I see you have already made a few more postings.  Hope you have had fun exploring BGO.

Edited by Barblue

Hi! Just thought I'd do the polite thing and introduce myself here, before commenting on any other threads in this forum.

I'm from Birmingham, England, and it's been a long, long time since I've been a member of any online forums, so if I seem a tad tentative at the start, I hope to become more active as time goes along.

My favourite author of all time is James Herbert (RIP), after reading and loving his 'Rats' trilogy when I was young. I've also been fond of several Stephen King novels, as I love the way he builds his characters although, if I'm being honest, I often find that his endings feel somewhat rushed and a little disappointing. (Needful Things being a great example of this)

(I know, James Herbert and Stephen King are hardly surprising choices and, possibly, can be viewed as being a little clichéd...but I've always felt that things become cliché for a reason - if they're good enough, last long enough and enough people buy them, they will eventually be categorised as being cliché and that shouldn't be viewed as a bad point.)

Whilst I love horror fiction, as an author myself, I prefer to write about crime and the extreme sides of life in general, with an emphasis on my stories being something that the reader can believe could actually happen to them. I also like to write ambiguously, avoiding place and character description, as I like the idea that the reader can fill in these gaps with their own imagination and hopefully, as a result, feel more involved in the story.

My debut novel, Sorrow's Requiem, was published in January however, I would like to state for the record that I have not signed up to this site in order to generate sales or interest in the book. Indeed, the only reason for my mentioning it here, is in the interest of being up front and honest about who I am. Should anyone wish to ask me about the book, then of course I will be happy to discuss it but, if not prompted by genuine questions from people genuinely interested, you won't find me mentioning it in any posts, other than this one.

Anyhow, that's me in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to joining in with some good discussion.

Al.

Welcome to BGO, Alan.  That was quite an introduction!  Been on here about three months myself, MOABH (My Other And Better Half) also appears on here as Cherrypie, she was on about two months or so before me, and probably contributes a bit more than I do.

Nevertheless, we have found nothing but a warm welcome, blossoming on-line friendships, and good discussions of many types, so hope the site works as well for you as it has done so far for us.

Cheers!

Hello and welcome Alan - hope you enjoy the BGO - I've read your post on censorship with interest.  I'm sure you'll have lots to contribute, there are lots of topics to have a look at and enjoy.  :)

Welcome Alan.  Great introduction to yourself. 

I love your ideas about allowing the reader to fill in the gaps of character and place description.  Not sure it works all the time but that may depend on what else is being said and how.  Anyway, as RG and Momac have said there ought to be lots here for you to get your teeth into. 

Oh, yes! and don't be offended if your Username (which is presumable you real name) gets shortened to AN, although I quite like just Alan. 

Hi! Just thought I'd do the polite thing and introduce myself here, before commenting on any other threads in this forum.

I'm from Birmingham, England, and it's been a long, long time since I've been a member of any online forums, so if I seem a tad tentative at the start, I hope to become more active as time goes along.

My favourite author of all time is James Herbert (RIP), after reading and loving his 'Rats' trilogy when I was young. I've also been fond of several Stephen King novels, as I love the way he builds his characters although, if I'm being honest, I often find that his endings feel somewhat rushed and a little disappointing. (Needful Things being a great example of this)

(I know, James Herbert and Stephen King are hardly surprising choices and, possibly, can be viewed as being a little clichéd...but I've always felt that things become cliché for a reason - if they're good enough, last long enough and enough people buy them, they will eventually be categorised as being cliché and that shouldn't be viewed as a bad point.)

Whilst I love horror fiction, as an author myself, I prefer to write about crime and the extreme sides of life in general, with an emphasis on my stories being something that the reader can believe could actually happen to them. I also like to write ambiguously, avoiding place and character description, as I like the idea that the reader can fill in these gaps with their own imagination and hopefully, as a result, feel more involved in the story.

My debut novel, Sorrow's Requiem, was published in January however, I would like to state for the record that I have not signed up to this site in order to generate sales or interest in the book. Indeed, the only reason for my mentioning it here, is in the interest of being up front and honest about who I am. Should anyone wish to ask me about the book, then of course I will be happy to discuss it but, if not prompted by genuine questions from people genuinely interested, you won't find me mentioning it in any posts, other than this one.

Anyhow, that's me in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to joining in with some good discussion.

Al.

Hello Alan and a very warm welcome to the board. That was an ideal introduction from an author, imho, and I look forward to discussing things with you. Please feel free to start a thread, post to an old thread - we love to reignite a discussion - or take part in anything that takes your fancy. We are discussing the potential for two Group Reads at the moment and new members are always welcome, so if either or both take your fancy, jump in (I'm sure that you'll be able to find them). Edited by lunababymoonchild

Thank you, the promise of a warm welcome has certainly been endorsed!

I'm very much looking forward to some good discussions (having started already with the censorship thread...I'll apologise now for any somewhat 'forceful' opinions that I may put forward, I always enjoy a good debate but, I promise you all, I never set out to offend and will always do all I can to ensure I don't).

Hello

Found this site quite by accident when looking for a local reading group - clicked a few links ended up here and spent a pleasurable few hours browsing your discussions and recommendations. Aint the internet wonderful  :love:

Hope to get to know you all better in time

Welcome Clavain.  I read The Golem and the Jinni last year and really loved it. I think I started a thread.  If so, I hope you tell us what you think afterwards.

Al.

Kaltxi, Alan from Birmingham.  :wavey: Nice to have a gentlemanly intro from you. Great that you're getting into things early. There's so much around here to get 'lost' in, so enjoy!

Welcome Rincewind:  Glad to have you aboard, hope you enjoy your time with us, it's a nice friendly forum and there are lots of topics of interest.  :)