• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all! 

I'm Gem. Just moved back to the UK from Israel where I lived for 2 years. I work in the dreaded Promotions and Marketing area of the movie business - yes, I'm one of those people who come up with the campaigns that follow you about and bend your ear! I love mainly sci fi books but will pretty much give any genre a go! I'm a huge Tolkien fan and am currently re-reading The House at Riverton by Kate Morton after finishing my third reading of The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall :)

Hi GemCox and welcome to BGO. Both my husband, RG, and myself are fairly new users ourselves and have been given a really warm welcome by all other members. I hope you get as much out of the site as we do.

Welcome Gem.  Sounds like an interesting job you have.  Is Tolkien a sci-fi, my other half (MOH) reads only fantasy - or so he tells me- and he also loves Tolkien.  He even read The Silmarillion (which seemed like double-dutch to me).  Love to know what you think if you care to make some comments in the appropriate sections of BGO. 

Thank-you for the warm welcome BarBlue & Cherrypie (love the names btw!). 

As for Tolkien, yeah it's fantasy but I tend to avoid saying I love fantasy as I don't particularly like most in the genre...I'm a bit picky haha. The Silmarillion is a difficult book but I have to say I loved it and wish it'd be made into a video game, something along the lines of Age of Empires/Age of Mythology! 

I do love my job and have the terrible habit of talking about whatever movie I'm working on at the moment when the chance arises so I'm forewarning you and apologising for this in advance...sometimes I can't help myself when the movie is an interesting one lol.

I'm now off to go and peruse the forum a bit more and start delving into some conversations :D

Gem.

'Kaltxi' and hello to bunnyloves2hop, rogerg01, Oldladylegs77 and GemCox. (Any of you 'JC Avatar' fans by the way?) Hope you are all exploring already and have found threads that take your fancy.

The Silmarillion is a difficult book but I have to say I loved it

I do love my job and have the terrible habit of talking about whatever movie I'm working on at the moment when the chance arises so I'm forewarning you and apologising for this in advance...sometimes I can't help myself when the movie is an interesting one lol.

I agree re Silmarillion, Gem, difficult but beautiful. It's a favourite of mine. And please don't apologise about talking movies; you may have found BGO's humble thread by now anyway, so go for it! :)

Hi Gem

Welcome to BGO, hope you enjoy yourself on here.  I'm the RG that Cherrypie referred to above, she is MBH (my better half!)  We have found everyone so friendly and welcoming and it looks as if you are experiencing the same thing.

Have a nose around and get stuck in. :dance:

Hello all, I'm a bookworm from Blighty, currently residing in Taiwan, where I teach English. I'm an absolutely voracious reader and hope I can pick up some smashing recommendations from this site on what I should be reading, and in turn I'll be imparting plenty of my own suggestions on what you lot should delve into as well. Hoorah! 

Thanks Momac, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - I'm already scribbling down notes on what books I should be reading next based on what I've perused on the site. I suspect this list will be growing rather long!

Thanks Momac, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - I'm already scribbling down notes on what books I should be reading next based on what I've perused on the site. I suspect this list will be growing rather long!

Hi Bobsmoot 79 and welcome to BGO. I am a fairly new member myself and already gained a number of new aurhors thanks to BGO members. I try to keep up with the "currently Reading " thread as I like to know what others are reading. In a number of cases members have mentioned books I already had and so gave me the impetus to finally pick them up. Some enjoyable discussions have followed thanks to this thread. Like you I have set up a "Books to buy" list which I am finding really useful. Hope you get as much out of the site as I am.

Thanks Cherrypie! Fairly new member eh, but your post count is 384, as I type! You must really be enjoying it here :) 

Yes, as I mentioned before I have an insatiable appetite for reading so I'm always on the lookout for new authors. I have a kindle, and amazon is an absolute warehouse, although one really has to sift through mountains and mountains of drivel to find the gold nuggets. 

Welcome B79 (you will find we usually end up shortening some usernames - hope you don't mind.  It sounds as if BGO is made for you - and you are made for BGO.  Enjoy working your way through the place.  Looking forward to your contributions.

Hi there B79, welcome to BGO from Cherrypie's other half.  As CP mentioned we are fairly new on this but we couldn't have been made to feel more welcome, and it has very quickly become quite addictive.  We already feel like we have known people on here for years!!

Enjoy it.

This thread moves so fast I can't always keep up with  so welcome to bunnyloves2hop, rogerg01, gemcox and bobsmoot and apologies to anyone I've accidentally left out.

It's really encouraging to see so many new members joining us on BGO and look forward to hearing from you on the threads when you are ready. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this group by chance really. 

I'm a bit of a "where ever the mood takes me" reader. Romance to crime, biographies to true life. Not so keen on fantasy and sci fi.

I'm very much an ebook reader (kindle) and mainly because of being dyslexic I find books intimidating by size, page colour and size of print so a whole new world has opened  up to me at my finger tips :).

I'm hoping to discover new authors recommended reads and fellow book lovers on the way.

So greetings :)

Came across this group by chance really.

I'm a bit of a "where ever the mood takes me" reader. Romance to crime, biographies to true life. Not so keen on fantasy and sci fi.

I'm very much an ebook reader (kindle) and mainly because of being dyslexic I find books intimidating by size, page colour and size of print so a whole new world has opened up to me at my finger tips :).

I'm hoping to discover new authors recommended reads and fellow book lovers on the way.

So greetings :)

Welcome to the board Yarno. Please feel free to take part in any discussion that takes your fancy and please revive old threads so that we can take another look at the discussion. Personally I'd love to hear how you get on with your Kindle, so starting a new thread is great too. Or, you can take your time to get to know the site and take part when you're comfortable. Edited by lunababymoonchild