• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Belated but warm welcomes to RB 816, Robert Friedrich, Tall Tales and LittleReader - good to have so many new faces. Do look around all the threads, get to know us and join in, we're a very friendly crowd.  Don't be afraid to ask questions if things on the site don't work for you, someone will know the answer and be glad to help out. :)  

Afternoon all!

First up, I'll come clean and say that, for any of you that have become acquainted with Cherrypie on this site, I am her hubby and, having been taking an active interest over her shoulder since she joined a few weeks ago, decided to plunge in head-first myself and set up a user name.

I will not pretend that I read anywhere near as much as she does, I tend to nibble at books rather than consume them whole.  Tastes in books tend to differ wildly too from Cherrypie's.

From what I have seen over her shoulder this seems like a very friendly community and I look forward to taking part, I suspect a little less frequently than my good lady Cherrypie, although some of the chain threads appear to be quite good fun.

Look forward to making some of your acquaintances along the way.

Hello RagamuffinG  - welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself here, the BGO'ers are a friendly bunch - probably quite a wide variety of books read, so hope you feel at home.  

Kaltxi - hello - Ragamuffin Gunner.  :wavey: Please tell how you came up with such a brilliant name. I think you must be an undernourished Arsenal supporter! Way to go, bro! :arms:

Sorry to disappoint Ting, and subsequently Barblue.  Nothing to do with Arsenal, although as a football fan (Watford FC are my lot) I have a very healthy regard for the team and manager.  The truth of it is that Ragamuffin Gunner is a character in one of my favourite Bruce Springsteen songs "Lost In The Flood".

So now you know.  If you learn one thing every day, you've moved forward!!

Anyway, thank you both for your warm welcomes, I kind of knew this sort of thing happened from when my Cherrypie first joined up.

Hello RagamuffinG  - welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself here, the BGO'ers are a friendly bunch - probably quite a wide variety of books read, so hope you feel at home.  

And thank you Momac, I feel like I already know you quite well through your posts with Cherrypie.  I certainly seem to know as many of your family as our own!!

Welcome Ragamuffin Gunner.  I'm with Ting.  My first thought was Arsenal.  But surely not a Ragamuffin one!!  They reign supreme at the moment - and long may that continue I say.

Too right Barblue. If you cast your BGO mind back a few months, you may have seen that Kray20 was not kind to me about The Gunners. Now who's crying? :D

Thanks a lot Luna.  You too are a name I am already familiar with from Cherrypie's activities on this site so far.  I am intrigued by your user name, where it comes from, what deep meanings (if any) it holds, sounds all very mysterious!

I think Cherrypie replied to you earlier this morning in the "What's everyone doing?" thread, nice to see that she considers my days off with her as 'boring time with hubby'.  Maybe that's what 30 years of marriage does for you!

Might even make my first book posting later today, oooooo!

Thanks a lot Luna.  You too are a name I am already familiar with from Cherrypie's activities on this site so far.  I am intrigued by your user name, where it comes from, what deep meanings (if any) it holds, sounds all very mysterious!

I think Cherrypie replied to you earlier this morning in the "What's everyone doing?" thread, nice to see that she considers my days off with her as 'boring time with hubby'.  Maybe that's what 30 years of marriage does for you!

Might even make my first book posting later today, oooooo!

Lol, I think you know what Cherrypie meant, as do I. As for my login, some years ago there used to be a website that decided that email addresses were boring especially the @hotmail, @yahoo etc bits so they allowed the user to choose their own from what they had available, for free. I chose some half dozen or so daft email addresses but the one that touched and intrigued me the most was @moonchild.com. It took me ages to think up the matching lunababy (get it?) and I was even more astonished when that one hadn't been claimed. It turned out that the website decided to start charging for their email addresses and, much as I liked lunababy@moonchild.com, I decided that it wasn't worth paying for. I kept it as a login though.

Looking forward to your book posting.

Welcome,  Ragamuffin Gunner, I suspect you were checking over cherrypie's shoulder to make sure we were a safe website for her........... :yup: So glad you decided to join in as well.

.............................. nice to see that she considers my days off with her as 'boring time with hubby'.

Hmmm.................BGO accepts no responsibility for any controversial posting between family members.............................. :argue:

What a sad scenario that potentially conjures up!  One of us logs on, makes a post or comment which the other one disagrees with, so that person logs off so the other one can log on and have their say!!!

Very unlikely, if not impossible, as firstly Cherrypie digests books at a rate of knots that I simply don't.  With my work hours (alarm goes off at 3.30am and usually not turning in until around 10.00pm) if I do try to read something invariably after about four or five pages I have started to nod off and the book ends up resting on my face. The next time I pick it up I then end up back-tracking three or four pages as I can't remember what I read previously!  Takes a long time to finish a book I can tell you.

We tend to have different tastes in books too, so the chances of us contesting the same thread is very slim indeed. 

And anyway, apart from being married 30 years, we are each other's best friend (at least I think we are?)

What a sad scenario that potentially conjures up!  One of us logs on, makes a post or comment which the other one disagrees with, so that person logs off so the other one can log on and have their say!!!

And anyway, apart from being married 30 years, we are each other's best friend (at least I think we are?)

RG,  certainly not meant to be sad, just a gentle tease - it is easy to tell from reading your posts you are both very happy :)

Good evening (here)/morning Grasshopper

Gentle teasing mighty fine in my book, something you may be doing a bit more of if England flunk it again overnight at the WACA.  They have been talking a good fight the last couple of days, let's see if they can put it into action.  And a bit less sledging from both sides wouldn't go amiss.  When it's witty banter that's one thing but this, like the summer series here, has detracted from the play.

Anyway, on a light note, I discovered this evening how to insert a picture thumbnail (or do I call it an avatar).  Well, I was quite proud of myself!

Good evening (here)/morning Grasshopper

Anyway, on a light note, I discovered this evening how to insert a picture thumbnail (or do I call it an avatar).  Well, I was quite proud of myself!

I love the one you chose RG, Tigg is so happy, and yes it is 9.44 am here and I really should be going to finish present shopping but got hooked back on BGO - it is a bit addictive, so if I disappear soon it is because my conscience won.

He's bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun.  It is 11.05pm here and really thinking about calling it a day, at least I'm not in work tomorrow, in fact I've a whole week off as part of my annual leave, hence why I am still up and running, and how I have ended up on BGO!!

Good luck with the present shopping if your conscience does finally get the better of you.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is alan mapstone, I live in oxford england and I am retired.

I am currently reading The tin drum by gunter grasse and 100 years of solitude by marquez.

I would be interested to discuss these 2 difficult but rewarding books with other readers.

alan

My name is alan mapstone, I live in oxford england and I am retired.

I am currently reading The tin drum by gunter grasse and 100 years of solitude by marquez.

I would be interested to discuss these 2 difficult but rewarding books with other readers.

alan

Welcome to BGO Alan.

My Younger Son has tried to get me to read The Tin Drum, but I have so many books I actually want to read sitting on my bookshelves he hasn't a chance.

I read One Hundred Years of Solitude more years ago than I care to am able to remember, but I did finish it and it didn't put me off Marquez, so it can't have been too difficult.

Of course, i was much younger, with greater powers of concentration.

I look forward to seeing what you made of it.