• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello. I'm Kama, from Poland. My favourite genre is fantasy & sf, followed by adventure. I like history settings but strangely, I read that mostly as comics. My most disliked genres are: a 'chick-lit' or 'romance' and the 'young adult/new adult'. I tried, it failed, not my thing. So even if I like vampires, I won't be able to have a discussion with Twilight fans.

I'm on Goodreads, but it's not the best way to discuss books. I came here looking for people to discuss books with. I'm also interested in non-USA authors. I like reading books/comics by Asian authors. Are there any discussions here about books in not-English language?

I also have a blog about culture stuff (books, music, films) tho I have to work harder on that. The link is in my profile. ;)

Nice to meet you all. :)

Hello Kama and welcome to the board. We do have non-USA authors but I haven't come across any non-english books. Start a thread and see what happens!

We also have an informal ongoing group read of Dracula if you would like to take part in a discussion about grown-up vampires, or you could wait and take part in the Holmes group read.

Have fun and I look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Hello. I'm Kama, from Poland. My favourite genre is fantasy & sf, followed by adventure. I like history settings but strangely, I read that mostly as comics. My most disliked genres are: a 'chick-lit' or 'romance' and the 'young adult/new adult'. I tried, it failed, not my thing. So even if I like vampires, I won't be able to have a discussion with Twilight fans.

I'm on Goodreads, but it's not the best way to discuss books. I came here looking for people to discuss books with. I'm also interested in non-USA authors. I like reading books/comics by Asian authors. Are there any discussions here about books in not-English language?

I also have a blog about culture stuff (books, music, films) tho I have to work harder on that. The link is in my profile. ;)

Nice to meet you all. :)

We did have a thread on books in translation, way back in the mists of time.

We did have a thread on books in translation, way back in the mists of time.

Books in translation or books not translated? Many of the books I read weren't translated to English, be it in Polish or some other Asian language. Do you think I could make a thread about books in other languages? The general discussion subforum?

Welcome to BGO, kama.

As a British website, inevitably there is a bias towards books available in English here and I'm not sure how many members are fluent enough in other languages to be able to read untranslated books. Nevertheless, there are plenty of threads on books by writers from India, Japan, China and elsewhere in Asia. Have a dig around and don't be afraid to resurrect old threads - we positively welcome that! The same goes for threads in our fantasy and sci-fi forum.

If you can't find a thread, as lbmc says you should rectify that and start your own. Don't feel you need to post a long and detailed review, just a few thoughts that might kick off some discussion would be great. 

Welcome to BGO, kama.

As a British website, inevitably there is a bias towards books available in English here and I'm not sure how many members are fluent enough in other languages to be able to read untranslated books. Nevertheless, there are plenty of threads on books by writers from India, Japan, China and elsewhere in Asia. Have a dig around and don't be afraid to resurrect old threads - we positively welcome that! The same goes for threads in our fantasy and sci-fi forum.

If you can't find a thread, as lbmc says you should rectify that and start your own. Don't feel you need to post a long and detailed review, just a few thoughts that might kick off some discussion would be great. 

A British website? I think I omitted that information when I was registering. I do read books in English or originally written in English. I don't read only those untranslated, so no worries I'll have things to discuss about. When I'm learning a language, my objective is to be able to read books written originally in that language. The latest books I was reading weren't in English. But I'll look around for topics I can join. :)

Thx for the info. :) And a warm welcome of this picky reader. :)

Edited by Kama

Hello. I'm Kama, from Poland.  Nice to meet you all.

And nice to meet you too, Kama. Kaltxi (trans: Hello).  :wavey:  Great to know we have another fantasy & sci-fi fan on board.  I have just been introduced to urban fantasy (my usual fare is sci-fi and more traditional fantasy). That's what's so good about BGO; it tempts you. :)

Hello Kama and welcome to the board. We do have non-USA authors but I haven't come across any non-english books. Start a thread and see what happens!

We also have an informal ongoing group read of Dracula if you would like to take part in a discussion about grown-up vampires, or you could wait and take part in the Holmes group read.

Have fun and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yeah, I'll start a thread, I think.

I('d like to join the group read, but in less than 2 weeks time I'm taking a hard exam. No reading for fun.

Sorry for replying late.

And nice to meet you too, Kama. Kaltxi (trans: Hello).  :wavey:  Great to know we have another fantasy & sci-fi fan on board.  I have just been introduced to urban fantasy (my usual fare is sci-fi and more traditional fantasy). That's what's so good about BGO; it tempts you. :)

Cześć, Ting. (Cześć = Hello). A lot time ago I was tempted to urban fantasy by Gaiman. ;) Yet another topic to talk about. ;)

BGO? Tempting? Scary! :D

I('d like to join the group read, but in less than 2 weeks time I'm taking a hard exam. No reading for fun.

That shouldn't be a problem - we take our time over our group reads, so you could always read the book after the exam (Good Luck! for that), there will be others starting late, or reading slowly so you won't be too late.

Yeah, I'll start a thread, I think.

Sorry for replying late.

You can join the group read at any time it's convenient to you, it lasts for months and you can contribute to any of the group reads at any time you like. Naturally, you don't need to take part at all :-)

ETA cross posted with Meg there. We haven't started the Holmes group read yet, so I'm sure that you have plenty of time

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Hello, my name is Randy. I'm an avid reader and aspiring author. I love to write and have a blog where I share some of my shorter fiction but I won't clog this thread up with self-promotion.

My favorite genres are horror, suspense, mystery, and science fiction. I'm also fond of anything that qualifies as "transgressive fiction". My favorite authors are Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, Clive Barker, Hunter S. Thompson, Chuck Palahniuk, Gillian Flynn, Don Winslow, and Bret Easton Ellis. My favorite "new" author is Donald Ray Pollock who published his first full novel in 2011. I'm still waiting for the second.

In addition to reading and writing, I enjoy movies, comic books, video games, sports, cars, and just having a good time. I guess you could say I'm just your basic guy but I like to think I'm a little bit different. I love anything vintage and my dream car is a 1955 T-Bird. I don't have any tattoos and probably never will. I like to be social, but I also like nights alone where I can just relax, write, watch a little TV, and unwind. Before I keep rambling on and on, I think I'll stop here. I'm glad I found this board through Google and hope I get to interact with many fellow book nerds.

Thanks for giving me the chance to join up here. What can I say I am a Horror / Sci-fi Author and enjoy all types of media in the same field as mine as well. Hmm anything else? Just ask me and I'll reply asap.

Welcome to the site.  Although I am not a sci-fi/ horror fan myself (more Victorian Gothic!)  I am a relatively new member having joined the site about a month ago.  I too was made very welcome.  I am useless on the computer but am enjoying the site so much that I am improving massively.  I hope that you have as much fun using the site as I am having.  Happy reading.

Welcome to the site.  Although I am not a sci-fi/ horror fan myself (more Victorian Gothic!)  I am a relatively new member having joined the site about a month ago.  I too was made very welcome.  I am useless on the computer but am enjoying the site so much that I am improving massively.  I hope that you have as much fun using the site as I am having.  Happy reading.

As it goes, we all have our poison :) And I have nothing Against Gothic \m/ in any case keep on improving, its always fun to learn new things \m/

Hey everyone!

I'm Christina Cheek, an Entrepreneur, Bibliophile, Business Major, Mother of three, Coffee Connoisseur, Comic Illustrator and Website designer all rolled into one package. I live in West Plains, Howell County, Missouri, USA.  I have a lot of interests and a variety of hobbies so it's difficult to just list a few, however, for the sake of not writing an entire book here on the intro forum, I'll limit my hobbies down to: Rare Book Collecting, writing comic book scripts for illustration; gaming: online MMO's like World of Warcraft & upcoming Elder Scrolls Online (I was invited & tried out the Beta, it was amazing!), Sims 3, Call of Duty MW3, Starcraft 2, & Stronghold Kingdoms; Genealogy research and of course reading!

I love the Redwall series by Brian Jaques, I read Mangas all the time, no specific favorite author/illustrator only titles that suit my interest at the time, and I'm currently reading "Harriet Jacobs: A Life" by Jean Fagan Yellin published in 2004, it's an amazing story researched by Jean who has taken her research and notes from Harriet Jacobs own autobiography "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" it's a must read and I highly recommend the book for those interested in bibliographies, autobiographies or stories related to slavery and segregation. Would be an excellent report book for History or Literature class!

Though I'm now a mother of three (3 yr old, 1 yr old & bun in the oven) so I do not get the leisure time to read as many books as I used to before having kids, however, I still manage to sneak in a few each week not including the books I read to the kids icon_wink.gif.

I also like to browse thrift shops and flea markets as well as yard/garage sales for rare or out of print books, I love finding treasures that were printed in the 1800's and before, what spurred this endeavor of mine is when my Grandma handed me one of her old school books that was copyrighted in 1891 and another 1918 when I was about 9 years old. "Story Hour Readings: Sixth Year" and "Pieces for Prize Speaking Contests: Pieces that have taken prizes", these two books really got me interested in antique books and learning how to repair and rebind very well loved books (thanks to an internship at the Missouri State University-West Plains College Library and the West Plains Public Library!)

I was at a flea market the other day and found a wonderful treasure, a perfectly in-tact leather bound, raised spine, gold gilt cover of Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations" sitting on a booth shelf with the price tag of only $10, what a find icon_razz.gif ! The book is pristine and cracks as it's open, that NEW crackle sound! Sitting next to it was also Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn", of the same making, leather bound, gold gilt and raised spine for the same price...naturally I snatched it up as well. icon_mrgreen.gif