• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Sea Biscuit and welcome. I like the name, the only other time I've heard it was the champion thoroughbred racehorse, Sea Biscuit.  Are you interested in horses?  Hope you find lots to get involved with on the forum.  Lots of topics, lots of authors, hope to see you often on here.  :)

Thanks for the welcome, Momac . No, I'm not a horse person , I picked that name because it sounds like a pirate name , and I like pirate things .

We used to have an elderly lady in our town who had a dog named Seabiscuit, whose tail was "broken ?" ..  Not sure what you'd call it, but he had a part that stuck out like a dog's tail does, then a broken piece,so the rest just hung down and flapped loose .

Sounds weird, but I have always remembered that lady and her dog ,,and loved his name, so I stole it . I don't have a broken tail, though .        :D

Thanks for the welcome, Momac . No, I'm not a horse person , I picked that name because it sounds like a pirate name , and I like pirate things .

We used to have an elderly lady in our town who had a dog named Seabiscuit, whose tail was "broken ?" ..  Not sure what you'd call it, but he had a part that stuck out like a dog's tail does, then a broken piece,so the rest just hung down and flapped loose .

Sounds weird, but I have always remembered that lady and her dog ,,and loved his name, so I stole it . I don't have a broken tail, though .        :D

Good one SeaBiscuit - :)

Hello Folks [/size]

I am looking for an online book group to talk books with ,and am hopeful that this one will be just what I'm searching for :)[/size]

The family is all grown and I have lots of free time on my hands ,so I'm excited to find some new book friends to hang out with .[/size]

I like reading nonfiction, such as history, memoirs and true crime, but I also enjoy many types of literature .[/size]

[/size]

Sure hoping to make some new friends in here and find people to discuss books with . I see that you are having a vote on the next group read. I already voted, but didn't see the cutoff date. When do we begin the book ?[/size]

Thanks very much ,[/size]

Hi SeaBiscuit, like the name! Have only been a member myself since last Sunday but already getting drawn in. I have had nice welcoming comments from Canada, Australia and Zambia as well as the UK, which just goes to show how wide-spread the group is. Like yourself I was looking for an on-line book group, having not had much success with local meeting groups, who seemed to want to discuss anything but the book!!

Still finding my way around all this site has to offer, but having fun doing so, as I hope you are.

Happy threading!!

According to your profile, momac, you joined on Jan 22nd this year.

Meg:  I didn't put that date on my profile - I joined, at least, in 2012 or maybe before.  I had some discussions with Lectora around the time there was a bit of a grumble about some of her postings.  The only way the 2013 got on my profile was when we were asked to re-register after the forum was up and running again.  I had an e-mail inviting me to re-join as some stuff was lost when the site crashed.  The reason I'm questioning it is the fact that the January date is on there and I know I was a member before that - that is a re-join date.

#2 6th March 2012, 08:50 PM

momac

Hi Lectora: Have been reading some of your posts and find it interesting how so much argument can arise from one's beliefs or non beliefs. It seems strange to argue about something that, to my way of thinking, cannot be proved or disproved - you either believe or you don't or you are on the cusp of one or the other. I envy people who have great faith as I'm sure it is a comfort to them.

Edited by momac

I did think that Jan 2013 seemed rather recent, but I find time has become rather flexible since I retired and expands or contracts at a purely arbitrary rate, so assumed that was why. :dunce:

Yes, some people had to re-join because they joined originally during the period we lost all the data for.  That data is unrecoverable,  along with almost a year's postings. We were luckily in time to get back some threads from the Google cache, but not many.

I think you'd been here a while before that comment to Lectora, so probably end of 2011, but that's the best I can offer.

Hello Folks

I am looking for an online book group to talk books with ,and am hopeful that this one will be just what I'm searching for :)

The family is all grown and I have lots of free time on my hands ,so I'm excited to find some new book friends to hang out with .

I like reading nonfiction, such as history, memoirs and true crime, but I also enjoy many types of literature .

Sure hoping to make some new friends in here and find people to discuss books with . I see that you are having a vote on the next group read. I already voted, but didn't see the cutoff date. When do we begin the book ?

Thanks very much ,

Hello and welcome ,Sea Biscuit, glad you can join us.  I think from the Group Read votes it is pretty clear which will win, so unless there is some strange landslide, start when you like.   Meg has suggested if you have not read Holmes before it would be helpful  to read A Study in Scarlet, which is where Holmes and Watson first meet.  It  sets the scene well and may be helpful if you can read it before starting the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Hello everyone! I found this group just searching online. I am an older returned-to-school undergrad studying American History and English Lit. I do a lot of reading for school, but would love to have a group to chat about what I read for fun.