• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi.

Firstly - sorry for the long absence. I joined several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the site. However, life in the real world (family and work) became very busy and, although I tried a couple of times to return, the hectic times were not over . . . and there was no time to read or post.

Hello Angel, Welcome back.

I'm a newbie and I appreciate your busy-ness, having just been through some busy-ness of my own, to the extent of feeling guilty every time I now try to pick up a book!  Anyway, I really love your angel ... I think I may have seen it move a little while ago ... :wonder:?

Spot on Meg - you took the words from my keyboard - or rather I stopped because dinner was ready and when I came back you'd beaten me to it. . . and Ting . . . it's Battle Angel you'll be watching for perhaps. Is there a Na'vi dictionary? I know there has been a Klingon one around for years. My son-in law used to try to talk to me in Klingon and, come to think of it, he once wrote me a letter in Runes. Neither were my strong points, but it was fun deciphering. I'd say 'Welcome', but actually you seem at home already, which is great.

Hello all,
I'm another member from the dim and distant past that has been lured back to BGO by it's shiny new appearance. It's disgustingly shallow of me, I know, but the site looks so great I couldn't help myself! Only joking of course, I was very happy to receive an email (luckily I was still in the system somewhere) that gave me a little shove back toward this little corner of the internet.

I'm so happy to see so many familiar names (an even avatars!) from when I used to be a regular poster here. In fact I've had a quick look, at it seems my last post was back in June 2010. That was a bit of a shock. I make no excuses for drifting away, as my life took quite a turn after meeting the lovely woman that would eventually become my wife. Things have changed even with the very recent arrival of our beautiful daughter, Delilah, born earlier this month.
We are 5 weeks into parenthood, which is tiring but mostly exhilarating, but it has caused a revelation in me. I haven't had time to read, and I've missed it terribly. So I've decided to try and make this activity more of a priority again, part of this involves having somewhere to come and discuss it all, and share. That place, for me, has always been here. So i'm terribly thankful to all of the mods and partners that have kept this place going. You are all too wonderful for words.

I guess I should give myself a proper introduction, as most people that read this will either not remember me, or have no idea who I am to begin with.
My name is Ken, I'm a graphic designer & illustrator by trade I live in Ipswich, Suffolk and if I have time will read, pretty much, anything. Over recent years I have been on a comic book jag that has turned into a proper obsession with the format. Any spare time beyond work, family and reading (which is precious little) I spend writing. This is a relatively new endeavour for me (at least since I was a regular here), but in that time I have completed my first novel manuscript which stays resolutely unpublished, but has given me greater confidence that I might one day produce something that could end up on real and digital shelves.

I'm looking forward to getting re-aquatinted with everyone and meeting plenty more like minded people that share my passions.

Welcome back, Krey20. :wavey:

Some of us have never forgotten you, thanks to your work on these, which are still being used by a few of us.

I guess it's time we introduced them to the newer members.

Anyway, it's good to see you back here - Many congratulations on your marriage, and on the arrival of baby Delilah.

Have you started reading to her yet? I anticipate seeing you down in the CYA forum, and look forward to reading your comments on The Very Hungry Caterpillar which is a good first book to read to baby :)

And your comments on any grown-up reading you manage to fit in, of course

PS: I've never been aquatinted before - just dusted with pastels, or smeared with oilpaints , so that is something to look forward to. ;)

Thanks Meg,
Hmmm, aquatinted? *sigh* I still haven't lost my touch with typos. I think I meant re-acquainted, but who knows. ( I refuse to edit my previous mistake, as your comment is far too witty and if I did future reader might think you have gone off on a strange tangent!)
I had actually forgotten about those book marks until I saw the link in my sig, they are still on my website for download, if wanted.

Also, you are right. I can;t wait to start reading to Delilah, it's funny you mention the Very Hungry Caterpillar' as we bought a jingly-jangly soft toy of said caterpillar to hang over her pram. She rather likes it when we're out and about. I'm already trying to get the literary references in. I'm actaully looking forward to discovering a world of childrens books I missed the first time around.

Edited by Krey20

I'm so happy to see so many familiar names (an even avatars!) from when I used to be a regular poster here.

And I'm very happy to see yours as well, Krey!  What a great week it's been for long-lost, much-valued members returning.  From time to time over the years I would scan the high-posters list and you were certainly one of the people I reached with a bit of a pang, thinking, "Aw - I wish he'd stuck around!"

Hopefully that's sufficient emotional blackmail to ensure you won't be leaving again!  ;)

What an excellent few years you've had!  Congratulations on the new additions to your life, and now you've got BGO back too the journey is complete!

Great to see you, Krey, and it's good to draw newer members' attention to your superb BGO bookmarks, for which we remain very grateful!

Hi David,

Your latest email-shot were the small pebbles that started the landslide of my return, so thank you for that.

No emotional blackmail needed, but I appreciate the sentiment :) I hope to keep returning as much as life allows.

Hello, everyone.  I actually registered a few weeks ago but work became hectic so I have not posted yet.  So glad I found an online book club!

My name is Gail and I'm in Manchester, UK.  I will read anything but Sci-fi, and have been reading since I was 3 years old (which is a long, long time ago).  At the present time I'm taking another bash at Joyce's Ulysses, after abandoning it in my early 20s.  I'm getting on a lot better this time round. :D

Look forward to discussing all things bookish with you for a long time to come.

Hello Krey20, I am  fairly new, but glad you returned as  have admired your avatar in old posts for quite a while . :)

Why thank you. I must admit I had forgotten all about it, but upon returning, I can't help but agree that I have impeccable taste. ;) I look forward to seeing you around and about.

Spot on Meg - you took the words from my keyboard - or rather I stopped because dinner was ready and when I came back you'd beaten me to it. . . and Ting . . . it's Battle Angel you'll be watching for perhaps. Is there a Na'vi dictionary? I know there has been a Klingon one around for years. My son-in law used to try to talk to me in Klingon and, come to think of it, he once wrote me a letter in Runes. Neither were my strong points, but it was fun deciphering. I'd say 'Welcome', but actually you seem at home already, which is great.

Kaltxi (Hello) Angel, and apologies for not replying sooner.  I keep trying but the connection keeps going down on me and I lose my reply.  For some reason I can't copy and paste it from my word processing  programme.  Anyway, yes there is a Na'vi dictionary and it is being added to all the time by Na'vi linguistic types, who have websites dedicated to their passion.  Me, I browse occasionally.  Being no linguist, I am in awe of the 'iv' form of the verb, and the popular trend for haiku!  Irayo (thanks) for the welcome, and yes, I do feel at home, and it is great.  Kiyevame for now.

For some reason I can't copy and paste it from my word processing  programme. 

There are 3 paste options in you reply controls, Ting.  One of them specifically for pasting from Word, if that's the program you're using.  They're the brown clipboards on the right of the bar.  See if that helps.

There are 3 paste options in you reply controls, Ting.  One of them specifically for pasting from Word, if that's the program you're using.  They're the brown clipboards on the right of the bar.  See if that helps.

Thanks for the info ba David (the 'ba' denotes respect in my part of the world).  I hadn't noticed it. :dunce:   I suppose that some time I will have to succumb to Word.  I'm a Word Perfect disciple, and have to convert everything to .rtf in my obstinacy. :wacko: 

Ting, you are the follower of the one true way when it comes to word processing.  Unfortunately, the rest of the world refuses to realize it and we are forced to use the incredibly inferior product, Word.  It's hard for me to decide what I hate most about Word, but if pushed, I think I would have to say that it's always over-riding my decisions in the worst way possible.  If I want to always indent 5 spaces, it insists, periodically, on 3.  If I want to do a list in numerical order, it randomly decides that I want two 4s in a row.  It's. Just. Awful.

Thanks for the info ba David (the 'ba' denotes respect in my part of the world).  I hadn't noticed it. :dunce:   I suppose that some time I will have to succumb to Word.  I'm a Word Perfect disciple, and have to convert everything to .rtf in my obstinacy. :wacko:

Thank you for the 'ba', Ting!  I'm entirely unworthy of it, but it's appreciated!  And please don't feel you need to cave in and use Word.  I know you and Binker are far from being the only ones not to like Word's functionality, and to be honest the only reason there's a Word pasting button is because Word routinely throws spanners in the works when people try to paste from it into internet forums and the like!  That can be such a pain that it probably makes both point 4 and point 4 on Binker's 'Reasons I Hate Word' list...

;)

Have you had any success using the paste buttons?  Let me know if you still have a problem and I'll look into it.

Have you had any success using the paste buttons?  Let me know if you still have a problem and I'll look into it.

Haven't used the paste buttons yet. Am currently composing (in Word Perfect) what I want to paste into The Inheritors.  If I need help, I'll squeal!

Ting, you are the follower of the one true way when it comes to word processing.  Unfortunately, the rest of the world refuses to realize it and we are forced to use the incredibly inferior product, Word.  It's hard for me to decide what I hate most about Word, but if pushed, I think I would have to say that it's always over-riding my decisions in the worst way possible.

I agree Binker.  Word's biggest problem is that it thinks it can anticipate you!  :banghead: It is so irrrrrritating. :grumble: 

Hello everyone! I think I'm thrilled to be here and I would have had wanted an emoticon to go with it (my being thrilled), but I simply don't know where to get them. :D

So, I love books and I love telling people I read just everything, because one time when I was impossibly bored, I found myself trying to digest a book on physics. Ugh! Not much fun.

So there. Hello again.