Hello,

I’m a Kiwi book lover living in the UK.  I’m not quite a bookworm as my main love of my life takes up a fair bit of my time… 

I came across this Reading Group whilst trying to search for a local one, although, I’m not sure going to a Reading Group would be easy with having a Cat or three snuggled on my lap and I’m comfy and warm.

I read just about anything with a passion for Maori fiction and historical novels, Italian, French and Russian historical fiction.

This year I’ve read (not in any order) ‘The Night Circus’ by Erin Morgenstein.  ‘The Light Behind the Window’ by Lucinda Reily.  ‘Daughter of Siena’ by Marina Fiorato.  ‘The Botticelli Secret’ by Marina Fiorato. ‘The villa in Italy’ by Elizabeth Edmondson. ‘Potiki’ by Patricia Grace (reread x 3).

I’m currently reading ‘Dogside Story’ by Patricia Grace (reread x 2).  ‘The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield’ and ‘A Parisian Affair and Other Stories’ by Guy De Maupassant; both of these books are “in-betweeners” when I’ve finished a book and haven’t made up my mind on the next one to read.

Next in line for me to read is another reread ‘Labyrinth’ by Kate Mosse to refresh myself before reading ‘Sepulchre’ by Kate Mosse.

I look forward to chatting with you all.  smile.png

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and welcome Banana Kiwi, hope you enjoy our forum which has been newly re-organized.  I think it's just great and I hope that you'll enjoy it too.   :)

This year I’ve read (not in any order) ‘The Night Circus’ by Erin Morgenstein. 

Oooh, I have been toying with this for ages - did you like it?

Oh, and welcome to BGO, nice to have you!

Oooh, I have been toying with this for ages - did you like it?

Oh, and welcome to BGO, nice to have you!

I loved it!!!  I wasn't expecting too.   I saw a review of it on the Richard and Judy Book Club (now....now.....don't laugh! :lmao: ) and after it bounced in and out of my Amazon basket more times than a kiddie in a sweetie shop, I just went for it. I couldn't put the book down once I started reading it.  The detail, the atmosphere, the characters, the events.....once in I didn't want to come out!  Not very often a book grips me that way.  I read it over four nights (I was a dirty stop up way past midnight, lol!).

Thank you for the welcome Hazel and Momac.  smile.png

BananaKiwi, welcome!  And Hazel, I really enjoyed Night Circus, too.  I wrote a long review that is probably lost. :banghead:   It's very visual.  I kept thinking it would make a great movie.  Apparently it has been optioned and is "in development."

BananaKiwi, welcome!  And Hazel, I really enjoyed Night Circus, too.  I wrote a long review that is probably lost. :banghead:   It's very visual.  I kept thinking it would make a great movie.  Apparently it has been optioned and is "in development."

Thank you. 

Hello Bananakiwi, welcome to BGO - the "cats on the lap" strike a chord with me and they will help keep you warm in UK wintertime.

Thank you Grasshopper (always wanted to say that!  LOL!)  I'm quite good with the UK winter after having lived in Scandinavia and Russia, however, I'm not so good with the shorter days and longer nights.....there is only so much hot chocolate I can drink in a season, lol! 

Afternoon All,

I have just created a new membership as I appear to have lost my previous membership as Petra.

I have been posting to BGO for a number of years now.

My reading habits are fairly varied and follow massive peaks and troughs in amount of time spent as I am studying to become a chartered accountant and sit exams in June and December, so during the lead up to these periods, I almost entirely eliminate reading from my daily activity.

My genre of choice leans towards fantasy and Sci-Fi, although due to my on-going quest to read all of the BBC Big Read Top 100 (and various other reading lists found online), I found myself reading a good variety of novels. I also try to make sure that I read some non-fiction along the way and read at least one play a year.

Look forward to discussing things further with some of you,

Midas

I have just created a new membership as I appear to have lost my previous membership as Petra.

I have been posting to BGO for a number of years now.

Hi Midas/Petra!  Great to see you.  If you haven't visited the site since just before last Christmas you'll probably be unaware of the crisis which befell us, wiping out two years' worth of posts - and indeed any members who joined in that time!  So I'm very sorry, but the system has indeed lost 'Petra'!

You can read all about it here.

I'm glad you're back with us again and I'm sure you'll have noticed we've changed a bit!  I hope you like it.

Were you a subscriber previously?  If so let me know and I'll reinstate you.

My genre of choice leans towards fantasy and Sci-Fi, although due to my on-going quest to read all of the BBC Big Read Top 100 (and various other reading lists found online), I found myself reading a good variety of novels. I also try to make sure that I read some non-fiction along the way and read at least one play a year.

Hi Midas! I too am working my way (slowly!) through the BBC Big Read 100 - more or less, I took out most of the Jaqueline Wilsons and added some other acclaimed books as well. I started a couple of years ago as a new year resolution, I created a spreadsheet and sorted the list by the number of pages and started with the shortest, which was A Christmas Carol. I'd be interested in seeing your list :)

Hi Midas! I too am working my way (slowly!) through the BBC Big Read 100 - more or less, I took out most of the Jaqueline Wilsons and added some other acclaimed books as well. I started a couple of years ago as a new year resolution, I created a spreadsheet and sorted the list by the number of pages and started with the shortest, which was A Christmas Carol. I'd be interested in seeing your list :)

Hi Red Fox,

I have 41 books left to read on the list and although it felt like a mammoth task when I first started (as I had read less than 15), it seems within reach now. My strategy (once I had ticked off all the ones I had already read) was to go through and pick out the ones that I wanted to read....this didn't actually amount to very many! I am now simply reading them in order of position on the Top 100, meaning I am currently reading David Copperfield.

How many more do you have to go? Are there any on the list that you are dreading?

I'm another person whose posts got lost, I recently got an email saying BGO is now using IPB so I thought it a nice moment to visit this place again. I'm Athena, a 27-year-old woman from the Netherlands. I've studied Chemistry and will soon graduate. I love reading and my favourite genres are fantasy, science-fiction, contemporary fiction and chick-lit. I also like literature / classics, horror, detectives, paranormal, thrillers. I also read non-fiction sometimes, but not as much as fiction. I have a Kindle, but usually prefer paperback books.

Other than reading, I like writing, spending time with our pets (we have dogs, chicken and goats), watching TV shows and films and playing video games. I have an issue with input, especially sound, hearing sound is tiring for me, so I usually read rather than watch TV or play a game.

Kaltxi, Greetings all.  I have been introduced by a member, whom I suspect is Grasshopper.  If I have guessed correctly, then Gh will remember who gave us the love of books and reading, and Duckpuddle Alley - or was it Puddleduck Alley ...?  If I have not guessed correctly, then identify yourself Sa'nok! Anyway, I live in Zambia, and confess to being a JC 'Avatar' convert, hence my name which translates as 'The Listener' because ... in real life I write radio drama.

My reading is wide ranging and includes a lot of fantasy, and the unusually fascinating historical insights of Jared Diamond.  Scanning other 'Introductions' I caught the name of author William Golding, and would love to discuss 'The Inheritors' with someone.

I will not be able to respond too regularly because Central Africa's internet connections are 'wobbly', if not completely insane! :grumble:   But I will visit when I can.

Kiyevame for now.