• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - I am new to this forum, but it might just be the think I have been looking for for ages! I read a good bit (c 50 books a year) and have always felt I'd like to be in a book group but having issues with time and availability due to work it never seemed to come off. You might guess from my username that I am a bit of a Kerouac fan! I tend to read modern literature (last 20 years) in the main, and am not a great fan of the classics, but do stretch as far back as Thomas Hardy (who I tend to consider a "modern" author anyway, in as much as he wrote about modern issues, and the impact of the modern world). Some personal favourite authors are: Thomas Hardy, Jack Kerouac, Milan Kundera, Michael Ondaatje, and Tim Winton. I just made the big 4-oh, come from Newcastle and I am married with 2 boys. My main interests alongside reading are cycling, walking (Lakes hills and Scottish Munros), listening to all kinds of music and playing guitar and trumpet which I have just started learning, good food and wine. I am interested in politics and have a deep concern for environmental issues, as well as an interest in personal spiritual issues, in particular Buddhist thought. So - that's me!

Hope to get my head around diving into stuff soon!

Cheers

Richard

I used to post on this board, but haven't for a long time so I thought that I would introduce myself again.

I'm 29 from Spain and love reading. I read mostly fiction, but I'm open to new authors and genres. My favourite authors are Kate Atkinson and Philippa Gregory.

I'm looking forward to getting back into talking about books again :)

I've been away for a couple of days and it's lovely that this is the first post I see on returning! Great to see you again, LittleMissBookworm!

Aww thank you! I've been away for many reasons, mostly moving house and problems with the internet. However, I'm now looking forward to getting back into the discussions here. Is the BGO book group still going?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody

I have been looking for such a site for quite some time and I was delighted when I found it, browsing the internet.

I love to hear what other people think of books I've read myself. A forum like this is also very useful when it comes to reading suggestions..

I do not read as much as I would like to (full time job, kids..) which is why I am pretty careful before picking up a book; I usually finish every single one I start and very rarely give up, so I try to choose wisely.

I read mainly fiction and love Steinbeck amongst others. I enjoy both classics and new publications.

Books are a way for me to escape, "travel" and learn.

I am French but have been living in Ireland for many years.

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this and also quite nervous. I'm an avid book reader from Adelaide Australia and my goal is to read as much modern and classic literature as possible before I die. I have started my own book club but find the others don't read as fast as I do and get quite frustrated, but I do enjoy the lovely dinners and wine we consume while we discuss our latest book. The book up for discussion at the moment is "The Finkler Question" but I haven't started it yet.

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this and also quite nervous. I'm an avid book reader from Adelaide Australia and my goal is to read as much modern and classic literature as possible before I die. I have started my own book club but find the others don't read as fast as I do and get quite frustrated, but I do enjoy the lovely dinners and wine we consume while we discuss our latest book. The book up for discussion at the moment is "The Finkler Question" but I haven't started it yet.

Hi aussiema welcome to the board! There's no need to be nervous, everyone is really friendly here.

I'm sure you will find some great suggestions as to which classics/modern books to read on the board.

• 4 weeks later...

I probably should reintroduce myself to all our newcomers. I used to be quite active on this page but a lot of migraines prevented me from coming regularly and that's when I stopped altogether. But I've really missed this crowd, so many lovely people on here and everyone who saw my name welcomed me back so nicely, hope to be a bit more regular again soon.

Okay, introduction to the newcomers, I am German, have lived in England, loved it, live in The Netherlands now. I love classics and very large books, Nobel prize winners, historical novels, ... well, I like a lot of things, not into science fiction and/or fantasy. Or chick lit and crime novels. But apart from that, a lot of literature. And non-fiction, biographies ...

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I live in Oxford, work in a laboratory and read pretty much everything, from the classics to the backs of cereal boxes. I'm always looking for good mystery/detective novels and anything with a bit of magical realism. I'm a big fan of Diana Gabaldon, and would love to find other authors who mash-up lots of genres in a similar way.

I'm also a part-time writer of poetry and short stories. I've been published in a few magazines and recently published a poetry ebook called Honeycomb Bones. I'm not sure what the policy is about marketing on this website, so I won't try to sell you anything until I've found out!

Looking forward to getting to know you all and finding some great books. :)

• 4 months later...

For people browsing the board and wondering about joining Book Group Online, I should explain the board suffered critical failure last Christmas.  This caused us to lose two years' worth of posting and even after we came back the board had to be kept closed to new membership for almost the entire time.

So that's why this thread has almost no new members since 2011!

I'm very pleased to say, however, that we now have a brand new board and we're properly back up and running!  We'd love you to join us, so please do sign up - it's free - and come back here to say hello.