Bill

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi!

I'm David Booker of Scarthin Books, Cromford (a bookshop for the majority of minorities!) - have only just discovered this great forum! :0) I'll add more posts as soon as I get chance but just wanted to introduce myself (and the shop) for now. Many thanks :0)

Welcome to BGO, David.

As you'll have seen by now I've sent a PM about your other plug for the shop explaining our policy on advertising. However, perhaps I'm still in the Christmas mood of goodwill to all men and independent bookshop owners but since you promise to stick around and become part of the community I'll let the above links stay.

We really have to be firm about 'fly posters', as it were, who plug-and-run. As a book-lover, though, I'm sure you'll get stuck in with the community. Regular members are welcome to tell us about things like that, so as long as you become one fair enough.

Hi, I've just stumbled on this website whilst trying to find a message boards for people who love reading like I do and thought that I would introduce myself!

I'm almost 29, originally from the U.K and now living in Spain. I like reading most genres of books, particularly novels from Kate Atkinson and I've just got into Philippa Gregory's books.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through 'Last Chance To See' by Mark Carwardine, which accompanies the BBC series, which I really thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions on books and getting suggestions on what to read in the future! :)

I am still in the middle of this and am contemplating throwing in the towel, it's good, but it really could have done with some serious editing. I am bored learning about the townsfolk now and want to get back to the story.

I agree, he definately needs a better editor. Some of his books could benefit from having a lot of fat trimmed. Under The Dome has one of Kings weak endings that a lot of his books suffer from in my opinion. He often falls at the last hurdle and I thought he did with this one

Under The Dome has one of Kings weak endings that a lot of his books suffer from in my opinion. He often falls at the last hurdle and I thought he did with this one
Crikey, I definitely won't make it to the end now, all enthusiasm has vamooshed! Thanks, I'll move on then.

Hello there. My name is Rich, I'm from Liverpool England and the reason I have joined this site it to recapture my love for reading. I used to love reading as a child and never had a book out of my hand, at an early age my favourite book was Matilda and then I moved on to the Discword books, then Shakespeare (though sadly not as many as I would have liked to this point) and finally biographies and sports related books.

My favourite sports book is "Football Against the Enemy" by Simon Kuper and if you are interested in Football or even just curious what it means to the world and how it has come to shape certain countries as much as politics then I suggest you look into it. His interview with the man who was terrorised by the Stasi for the team he supported is one of the best pieces I have ever read as he presents the facts seemingly without hyperbole and while being sympathetic the man's cause he doesn't try and pretend he has any idea what it was like nor does he try and convey a false emotion to the reader. It is perfectly handled and conveys the interviewees emotions not his own.

Another sports book I have just finished is "The Bad Guys Won" which is Jeff Pearlman's account of the 1986 New York Mets the most dispicable team to ever play the game of Baseball and perhaps ever and yet if you are like me you can't help but warm to these louts as they remind you what sport used to be like. I may not have followed Baseball in the 80's but believe me this book is all too familiar of a culture that has died in every sport, both the good and the bad.

I'm just reading American Pyscho at the moment and finding it very enjoyable if not somewhat disturbing to say the least.

It's nice to be here and I hope I can contribute while at the same time learn something new and get some good recommendations for the future.

I've always been interested in music, films, sport amoung other things but reading is my only passion that has been sporadic. I have to say given how much I am enjoying it these days I think this reaffirmation could lead to it being a pastime that is here to stay.

It's nice to be here and I hope I can contribute while at the same time learn something new and get some good recommendations for the future.
Hi Rich, and having read your intro, I suspect you will be able to give us some good reccommendations too! Welcome to BGO.

I haven't been on this page for so long, I'm sure I'll have to reintroduce myself because everyone will have forgotten all about me. Anyway, for the newcomers, I've been active on this page but am on and off at the moment due to health reasons. I am German but have lived in Belgium and the UK and now live in the Netherlands. I love reading classics, am not into science fiction or fantasy but read a wide range of other movies. I run an international book club and we read a huge variety of literature.

Well, welcome funrun, Ammonite, Endlessknight, anneliesscott, nicx, Apple, mirandashell, elisiaT, Setrakian, Bobby, leyla, Wilkie, layla539, ianmartin2121, san4es, soph1288, The Maid, Acacia, tuscan, grace_a88, Anne1944, Whiterabbit, thisnameistaken, catnbooklady, Mazarin, Elina, warrior07, David 25, nugganootch, booker, LittleMissBookworm, nugganootch, WrongIslander, and Klimmytattoo, yes, there have been so many members here since my last post but I went through the whole list and I must say I am impressed. So many new members, such a variety of readers. I'm also, as always, impressed with the names that you came up with. Someone should write a book with all those names, I'm sure it would be very interesting. :D

I haven't been on this page for so long, I'm sure I'll have to reintroduce myself because everyone will have forgotten all about me. Anyway, for the newcomers, I've been active on this page but am on and off at the moment due to health reasons. I am German but have lived in Belgium and the UK and now live in the Netherlands. I love reading classics, am not into science fiction or fantasy but read a wide range of other movies. I run an international book club and we read a huge variety of literature.

Well, welcome funrun, Ammonite, Endlessknight, anneliesscott, nicx, Apple, mirandashell, elisiaT, Setrakian, Bobby, leyla, Wilkie, layla539, ianmartin2121, san4es, soph1288, The Maid, Acacia, tuscan, grace_a88, Anne1944, Whiterabbit, thisnameistaken, catnbooklady, Mazarin, Elina, warrior07, David 25, nugganootch, booker, LittleMissBookworm, nugganootch, WrongIslander, and Klimmytattoo, yes, there have been so many members here since my last post but I went through the whole list and I must say I am impressed. So many new members, such a variety of readers. I'm also, as always, impressed with the names that you came up with. Someone should write a book with all those names, I'm sure it would be very interesting. :D

Thanks! Also welcome to the new members too :D

I read equal amounts of fiction and non-fiction. I read fiction to 'fix' my soul and non-fiction to 'fix' my mind. Of course, like most, I am ecstatic when I find a novel or history or biography etc that achieves the ability to do both at the same time.

I have read since the day I was being potty trained with a book in hand to keep me sat still until now and hopefully well into the future. I welcome all sorts of books into my life and some become good bedfellows (my nome de plume may give posters a good idea of one such book). Other books have less impact but I try not to judge too harshly as I am not everyones cup of tea either!

I have signed on and taken the plunge as it is nice to read the musings of others and I hope I will remain true and share my thoughts when appropriate.

Hi fellow bookworms.

Just thought I'd introduce myself and tell you a a little about myself.

In fear of stating the obvious I really do love reading and have an eclectic taste in reading matter.Just finished reading The Little Stranger and enjoyed it very much, love Sarah Waters work anyway!!

I work as a part time support worker and have been married for 15 yrs and we have 11 year old twins, matt and sally. Trying desperately to get the kids hooked on books too and it only seems to be working at bedtime and time for lights out!!!!!!

I belong to a local bookgroup too and the meetings have been fantastic in encouraging me to try authors I would never contemplate.

I hope to be similarly inspired by joining in this forum and sharing my opinions with likeminded readers. :)

Hi, Bookdweller, FLS is right, great name. I'm sure you'll find a lot of inspiration here. I'm a member in a RL book club and wouldn't give that up but this is just such a great group with so many people to talk to about any book you would like to read. Be warned, you will buy a lot more books. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Like most people here I love reading and want to talk about the books I read.

My new year's resolution was to not spend any money on books. Hopefully, this will get my to-read pile down to a sensible size. Probably not though. Anyway, I'm looking forward to talking about them as I go.

The last book I read was A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle. I really enjoyed it. Great energy - entertaining and serious.