Bill

Introduce Yourself

Hi. I'm new here.

I am studying for a degree in literature.

I like many genres but prefer the kinds of books that most call literature.

looking forward to seeing what is out there and being able to discuss the books I read. (I am alone in my tastes in real life.)

(I am alone in my tastes in real life.)

Well I'm sure you'll find someone who likes some of the things you enjoy here!

Welcome to the group, ennui!

Hi Everyone

I'm so happy to stumble across this website cos everytime I always read a book I imediately want to discuss it and only people I can discuss with are my Mum and sister and cos they are alot busier then me it could take months to discuss a certain book and theres the fact also that they don't read some of the types of books I read.

So its great to find somewhere to be able to chat about books.

I read all type of books but mostly books to do with crime and murders alot of true crime, and memoires and true life storys.

But saying that I do read almost any fiction book usually I go to Amazon and spent alot of time reading reviews and following books on Listmanias

Its great to be here and look forward to chatting books with you guys :)

Hi Everyone

How did I get here? Well I have been "volunteered" to organise a book group here in our village in Cyprus and wondered what information was out there and found this site. There is so much interesting stuff on here and I have already looked at what has been said about our first book - A Thousand Splendid Suns.

We are a very diverse group and I realise how lucky I am having a group to relate to in person as it seems this is not the case for some members here.Of course we all like different kinds of books in our group and I am very excited about hearing other peoples views both in our group and on this site.

I love biographies and books set in different cultures. I particularly enjoyed Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres because of the historic parallels between Anatolia and Cyprus.

Off now to look at everyone's thoughts on Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama.

Hi everyone,

I just joined the other day and have been having a good nosy around the site since.

I discovered the site, simply by using a search engine. I find that my circle of friends and family do not share my love of reading and am therefore often left with a very limited reading list and noone to discuss with afterwards.

I am open to many genres. I had a very limited appreciation until relatively recently and am therefore trying to catch up on the books that most people would consider essential reading, for example, LOTR, Jane Austen, the Brontes as well as new books.......

Thats it really, thanks

A big welcome to sarah hashim, Jilly and bella 1987 - I'm glad you all found us and hope that you'll enjoy it here.

Just a note, bella, that bright font colours aren't very popular with some of our members - they aren't so easy on the eyes.

Hi Bella. Glad you have joined us. I am a new(ish) member too. When I was in my teens (much older now) BGOL would have been wonderful for me. I never knew what to read, not that my family didn't read books, they just never had time to take me to the library or discuss books with me, so it was hit and miss what I found to read. When I was a publishers' reader I learnt a lot about different genres becauser we had to read whatever was top of the pile of suibmitted manuscripts. But you didn't get a chance to read Jane Austen that way! Now I learn a lot about good books from the Guardian Review on Saturday, the New York Review of Books, and now BGOL. By the way, what is LOTR?

By the way, what is LOTR?

Last On The Right. As in, "Where are the Gents?" "Oh, just down that corridor, last on the right before the double doors."

Hi all, I found this site by googling for online book clubs.

I am a mother of four and currently in my second year of training to be a primary school teacher.

I love reading all types of books but have found lately I am mainly reading children's books or education books. Decided that no matter how busy I get I must make time to read for enjoyment instead of work.

Look forward to getting to know you all. :o

Hi Roxana

I am a mother of one, interested about your primary school training - how long it takes etc. I would like to train whilst still working but don't know how possible that will be.

Speak soon

Ceri

;)

Hey, my name's Drew and I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone... I'm an avid reader, and really looking forward to giving and getting some great recommendations... That's all for now, see you out there!

ceri, ennui, sarah_hashim, jilly, bella1987, Roxana, and transparency, a warm welcome to BGO.

I hope to see plenty from you around the forums, and to discover lots of 'new' books and authors from your recommendations. I hope you have a great time here.

Hello

My name is Bella Mahal, and iv just had Sorry mr eX, iv created a website http://www.sorry-mr-ex.com to help readers to get an insite on what the books about, im looking to to get a real insight to book lovers feedback, im giving away free copies of the book, so can you please help.

Thank you

Bella x

I expect our moderators will tackle this, but really how can you expect anyone to be interested in this self promotion of a book when you can't be bothered to spell properly (these don't look like just typos.)

Chuntzy has a good point, Bella. If you're trying to get book-lovers interested in your book then basic grammar and punctuation need to be accurate.

You've posted honestly about the fact that this is your work, though - many authors pretend to be ordinary readers and their promotions are deleted. Our policy, therefore, is to leave your posts and people can comment on your thread in Writers' Corner if they want. You should not post any further promotions, though.

Hi! I've just joined! This site was mentioned in a forum on LibraryThing and I thought I'd check you folks out. I'm going to have a look around now and see what I can see...

Oh, BTW, I can't seem to load an avatar. Can anyone help me out with that?

Welcome to BGO, Book Barricade - I've merged your post with the introductions thread. I'm afraid I've had to delete your link since BGO receives part of its income from the sponsored Amazon link so we do not permit links to other commercial sites.

Hey. My name is Philip, 20 years old. I read an awful lot of books these days - trying to read about 1 a week as I have approximately 40 on my bookshelf that I haven't got around to as of yet. However, not many of my friends are as avid readers as I, so I am in search for a place to discuss books that I have read, and also get recommendations.

Favourite Authors: Frank Herbert, Ian Fleming and Conn Iggulden.

Favourite Book: Dune (my #1 favourite that I re-read about once a year).