Bill

Introduce Yourself

Welcome.

Ohai! I'm Chelsea and I just found this this place on google while looking for somewhere to talk about some of my favorite books that no one has ever heard of, as well as find other such books. I am 16 and a fantasy fanatic. I'm pretty much guaranteed to like anything involving people with supernatural powers. My favorite book is currently Graceling by Kristen Cashore, a book which I am sad to say does not seem to have a very large following. I don't stick to one favorite book for very long. I'm also in the process of reading Inkheart due to peer pressure, although I do like it.

It's nice to see another author. Is SP speculative?

:-)

Rowena Cherry

Hi, Rowena Cherry.

With SP, you do your own marketing. You send your manuscript to the POD publisher, they turn it into book form, you publicize, advertise and do all you can to sell books. If you have the funds to do all these things and more, maybe you'll sell 500 copies or more. If your book falls into the right hands, i.e. a traditional publisher, movie producer, then you got it made. :D

Hi Caribana and welcome! I see you are not only a self published author, you are also a singer/songwriter. You're clearly a woman of many talents.

Thanks, MisterHobogoblin. Ahem....you forgot to mention my very first love. Playwrighting. I'm a playwright first, and then a wannabe novelist. :D:)

Hi, I'm calicocat (named after my cat, Calico...I'm so imaginative! :D

So, here's a few pointers regarding me and my relatioship with books...

I've had an avid interest in books from an early age (through primary i was always atleast 3 stages in front of the other kids)

I dislike most romance books...I don't know exactly why, but if romance is the main focus of the book then i usually can't make it past the 3rd chapter.

I can't borrow books from libraries, I HAVE to own my books...and i can't give them away either.

If Im willing to read a book again. Then it's a good book!

My friends call my bookshelves a "literature shrine"...hardly any of my friends actually read...unless i force books into their hands.

I LOVE oxfam bookshops, i got a brand new, untouched copy of 'Company of Liars' by Karen Maitland for £2.99...It's an awesome book.

I study English Literature...but I'm not all a big fan of the Victorian era classics that we study, I'd rather do modern literature.

Terry Pratchett rocks my world, I don't read his stuff as much as i used to...but he will always have a place in my heart

And finally, has anyone read any Christopher Moore?! he's this amazing american writer...and I dont know anyone who has actually heard of him!

Oh and on a last note, I have a thread if you care to take a look...

How do you treat your books?

And finally, has anyone read any Christopher Moore?!

If you look at the alphabetical author list at the top of Books of the 21st Century you'll find Moore and two threads on him that look in need of replies!

Welcome N-esque, virginia123, f-stop, GilmoreGirl, caribana, calicocat! So many new members again. I'm sure you all find what you are looking for if you look around in the different pages.

Hi All, another newbie here. I have very little imagination when it comes to naming myself so just settled for WanaBook as there is always a book I want! One day I will be surrounded by books in my fantasy library :D

Can I just say I look forward to sharing and reading everyone's views.

Sam

Welcome to BGO, WanaBook - your name can't be that unimaginative, as we've been around a fair few years now, and no-one else used it first!

I noticed you apologising for finding an "old" thread - you don't ever need to do that! All our threads are just waiting for people like you to come along and find them - and doing so is never something to be sorry about, it's to be celebrated! :arms:

Hey. I also couldn't think of a name so I got this from the song I was listening to when I registered ('Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite' by The Beatles)

I've only recently started reading and have decided to study English Literature at University next year after my results were better than I was expecting.

I'm trying to read a bit of everything and wanted a place to discuss the things I liked or disliked. I'm dislexic so if there are any silly spelling mistakes that I missed it's not down to me being a complete idiot.

I've never used a forum before!

Welcome to WanaBook and to Mr Kite

One day I will be surrounded by books in my fantasy library
Stick around here for long and you'll soon find yourself surrounded by books ;)
I'm dislexic so if there are any silly spelling mistakes that I missed it's not down to me being a complete idiot.

I've never used a forum before!

You're not the only member with dyslexia, so that will be no problem, and we are friendlier than most forums with the uninitiated beginner (unless you post SPAM, which tends to attract the attention of one of our more irritable members).

I hope that both of you enjoy reading and posting here.

Hi, just joined recently after reading Sebastian Faulks book Engleby. Love reading, can't imagine a life without books, (or pets) Fiction is my preference, although if I'm interested in a person will happily read biographies. Science fiction is not really my thing; tend to read books by recommendation, either by friends or on good old Amazon, "if you read this you may like" type of scenario.

Favourite good reads recently have been "The Time Travellers Wife", "Don't lets go to the Dogs tonight", "The Memory Garden" and Engleby my latest read, that I've almost finished. Also musn't forget "We need to talk about Kevin" took some getting into but I found it well worth it.

Does anyone have a similiar habit to me? Sometimes I just have to flick forward to get an idea of what is going to happen next. I still read it anyway!

Be good to hear from you, and thanks to whoever started the forum.

Sibs

Hi Sibs. Good to have you with us. Books and animals are high on my list of favourites too. As to your 'habit' of flicking forward to see what's going to happen. I try not to do this, it feels a bit like cheating. Probably only do it if I'm getting fed up with a book and am wondering whether to continue. Haven't read Engleby. I loved Bird Song but didn't think much about Charlotte Gray. I am reading Netherfield at the moment : at first I thought the cricket would put me off (such a boring game!) but it is brilliantly written and un-put-downable. Best wishes, Virginia

Hi, I'm from Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland, joined a while ago but hav'nt really posted. I've just re-reading the excellent Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh. I also enjoy the novels of Carl Hiassen, Christopher Brookmyre and Nick Hornby. I always relish a good horror story as well, Clive Barker being one of my favourite authors in that category.

Hi Joe - it's good to see you posting again. Hope that we see your posts becoming more frequent now we know a bit about you, but even if they don't, visiting members are just as welcome!

I missed your original post in September, joe c - possibly because I don't spend much time in the SciFi forum.:P

It is possible that our book-sleuths missed it too, so I have copied it into our book-finder thread here in Central Library. I hope it has better luck there.

Hi, I found you just searching through google for somewhere to talk books, books, books! I live in South Wales and have a 3 years old son.

I love Daphne du Maurier, Jane Austen, Bernard Cornwell, historical novels, Ken Follett amongst others.

Look forward to chatting to you all.

Ceri :D

Hi,

I'm a friend of the forum member you all knew as fireball.

I saw that someone had responded to one of his posts here, and thought I would let that person know that fireball had passed away in December, and wouldn't be able to respond to his post.

So I decided to take the opportunity to let you all know about his passing.

I miss him very much.

So I decided to take the opportunity to let you all know about his passing.

I'm very grateful that you took the time to join and let us know about fireball's passing, White Raven.

He was a vibrant and passionate character and I am very sorry indeed to hear your news.

White Raven, I am sorry to hear this sad news.

Whenever an active member of a forum loses contact without notice the members who have been interacting with them are usually left wondering what has caused the sudden silence. I am very grateful that you have gone to the trouble of joining BGO to tell us what you know about fireball's final days.

He will be missed here.