Bill

Introduce Yourself

Hello - new here.

I am 22 and I live in Kent. Favourite books are The Great Gatsby, The Reader, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Battlefield Earth.

I am also a freelance writer and have a tiny bit of success :rolleyes: keep trying though.

Anyway, hello everyone :D

Hey,

Another newbie here.

I'm 30 and I read a lot of non-fiction. Most book groups seem to be all about the stories, so it was great to find that this forum has a non-fiction section - and it has threads on several books I've read or want to read! :)

Recently I've read: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, Estates by Lynsey Hanley, Intimate Terrorism by Michael Vincent Miller. I also enjoy history and science, and apart from books and reading things online, I love chasing up obscure new music and fashion.

Hey,

Another newbie here.

I'm 30 and I read a lot of non-fiction.

Recently I've read: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, Estates by Lynsey Hanley, Intimate Terrorism by Michael Vincent Miller.

Hi Clementine. Welcome to BGO (on our birthday!)

I read Estates too, and I enjoyed it. I'd be interested to hear what you think: why not start a thread on this or other NF you've read? Just go to the sub-forum and click "Start New Thread".

Hi all, I am a newbie too and came across this site when looking for information on a recent book I had read. I am 27 and have been a huge reader since I was young, and just wanted to join a site where I could discuss/debate and analyse books!

This looks like a great site and I look forward to posting.

My own favourite authors are Pat McCabe, Kazuo Ishiguro and John Fowles.

My favourite books of all time would have to be The Butcher Boy by Pat McCabe, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro .

I also love PD James, Charles Dickens and John Irving amongst many more!

Hi, Book Reaper, as David and Grammath have already pointed out, this is not the right site for that kind of questions. Grammath's answer did hint to another problem. You didn't specify what you are after. Is it books in Hebrew, translations from Hebrew writers or books about Hebrews? There are lots around and if you have a look in the book forums, you'll certainly find answers there.

Welcome, madicken,another fellow non-British member! I am German and live in the Netherlands (but lived in England before and just loved it), so we have a few things in common. Well, I also love Sweden. And - I loved Astrid Lindgren, too, when I was a child. My favourites were the Bullerby children and the Saltkråkan story.

Hi, smot, looks like you are going to find a lot of interesting tips for your subway rides.

Welcome, monaro427, looking forward to your postings. I'm sure they will be valuable. Anyone who adds to this site is always valuable.

Hello, TheReader, you have quite a selection of favourite books, I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Welcome, Clementine v3.0, you are right, that's the great thing about this site, you can discuss anything and there will always be someone to answer to your threads. And - we have all sort of age groups which makes it even more interesting.

Hi, discobabe, this looks like it is the site for you. I'm sure you find lots of things to discuss.

Ohai! I'm Chelsea and I just found this this place on google while looking for somewhere to talk about some of my favorite books that no one has ever heard of, as well as find other such books. I am 16 and a fantasy fanatic. I'm pretty much guaranteed to like anything involving people with supernatural powers. My favorite book is currently Graceling by Kristen Cashore, a book which I am sad to say does not seem to have a very large following. I don't stick to one favorite book for very long. I'm also in the process of reading Inkheart due to peer pressure, although I do like it.

Very happy to have found Book Group Online. I am a voracious reader and now I am at a stage in my life when I have lots of time to read so it is great to be able to discuss/share/learn about books with others. I live in rural East Sussex in UK (but we also have a small place in London where we go when in need of some culture). My grandmother was a quite a frightening person and used to explode with temper if we grandchildren were found reading a book before lunch time. Her condemnation has stayed with me and I don't often read in the morning. But after lunch I feel I am entitled to, and now in this cold snowy weather there is nothing nicer than curling up with a book by the fire. I read New York Review of Books, the Guardian on Saturdays, and Propect, also This Week. These are my sources for new ideas for books. Our local library has an excellent on-line service : I can reserve books on line and they send me an email when the book is ready for collection. Our house is so full of books it is difficult to find any space in the bookshelves so I try not to buy too many new books.

Our house is so full of books it is difficult to find any space in the bookshelves so I try not to buy too many new books.

It's a common problem on here so you may find this thread of interest!

Good to have you with us, virginia123.

Hi everyone

I'm based in Bristol in the UK. I found this site online while looking for local book groups having just moved here. (I did find an offline group based in Bristol Library too by the way.)

I read pretty much anything: at the moment I'm reading Brideshead Revisited (for discussion at said reading group) and a history of South Africa (I visited there in October last year and kind of fell in love with the place).

Oh, and in common with many in these parts it seems, I have a "to be read" pile consisting of twenty five or thirty books. I've put ten of them on my "to-do" list for this year! ;)

f-stop

I have a "to be read" pile consisting of twenty five or thirty books.
A very modest collection! - I'm sure we can increase that for you quite quickly, f-stop. I hope you enjoy the experience. Welcome to BGO!

Hello everyone! I'm Beth and I've just found this wonderful place :D

I've always loved reading; my Mum was a librarian and is an avid reader - she must read 5-6 books a week, so I have grown up immersed in literature, which is definately no bad thing!

I've recently moved to university and find myself 'comfort-reading' when I feel lonely and miss home, which is why this seemed like a nice place to be. Hope to chat to some of you soon, Beth

I've recently moved to university and find myself 'comfort-reading' when I feel lonely and miss home, which is why this seemed like a nice place to be.

Plenty of book buddies here, Beth! A lot of us enjoy spending time on BGO and feel it's a very friendly community, so I hope you quickly feel at home!

I don't think I read anywhere near as much as you guys! Still, I'll try to keep up :D
The monthly book consumption rate varies wildly from the incredibly vast to the almost non-existent. Fortunately (for me at least) it's not a competition! Just enjoy your books, and we will enjoy sharing ours with you. Welcome to BGO!

(Your Mum would be welcome here, too ;) )

I try not to buy too many new books
Oh, we all try :D
:yup: Is there a "kleptomaniac"-type word for obsessive book-buyers? Bibliomaniac...?

I've always loved reading; my Mum was a librarian...

I've recently moved to university

Hi GilmoreGirl, like your mum I'm a librarian, and to show how we live in a small world, I spent a weekend at Lancaster Uni in September at a Librarian conference! It's a gorgeous campus, and I imagine there will be plenty of opportunities for out-door reading in beautiful places in the summer too!

Welcome to BGO!

Welcome also to f-stop - pleased that you found a real book club too, and especially because it too is based in a library!

Welcome to all the other new members I've not personally greeted as well.

:yup: Is there a "kleptomaniac"-type word for obsessive book-buyers? Bibliomaniac...?

I usually use "bibliophile"

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome.

I think your expectations are a little high if you want a reply within half an hour, caribana. The site isn't that busy, especially at that time of day (most of us are British and so that was shortly after lunch on a working day).

You are of course very welcome to BGO and I hope you enjoy it here.

I did not post that message because the welcome mat was not rolled out. I know that most folks are at work, and also the time difference is a factor. I posted a link to a soon to be released book and was insulted by a board member. I just thought that it would be the same on all the threads.

I just thought that it would be the same on all the threads.

Not at all. If you pop down to Writers' Corner you'd be very welcome to tell us about your book.

I posted a link to a soon to be released book and was insulted by a board member.
You weren't insulted, and if you were, that's your little problem to deal with. All I said was that the post would be deleted (call me psychic, since it was), my reasoning being a) it didn't fit the thread you'd posted it on and B) people who post links to new books and conveniently forget to say they wrote it don't last long.

It's been my experience in book forums these last five years that when people turn up to promote their latest book - typically self-published - that they are too rapt up in themselves to care about the forum they are using as a platform. A few eager posts on day one soon fizzle to nothing. Go on, prove me wrong. Let's meet back here next year, same time. ;)