Bill

Introduce Yourself

Just joined and wanted to say hi. I like the idea of an online book group. I've been trying to set something up at work, but it hasn't quite got off the ground yet. I like a wide range of books and am hoping to get a few new suggestions here.

Suggestions for good books are things we are never short of!

Welcome to all that have joined us since I last looked in here. I look forward to hearing from you.

Another newbie signing on. Delighted to find an online book forum - don't know why it's taken so long to do so, but I'm here now and looking forward to getting stuck in! I read quite a wide range of books, including classic fiction, history, science, travel etc. To give a flavour, my last half dozen books have been: Excellent Women (Barbara Pym), No Time for Goodbye (Linwood Barclay), Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name (Vendela Vida), The American Future (Simon Schama), Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self (Claire Tomalin), China Road (Rob Gifford), all of which I've enjoyed, with perhaps the Tomalin at the top of the pile and the Barclay at the bottom. As a teacher, my reading tends to progress in fits and starts depending on the time of year!

Hello, I recently joined this group hoping it would help me get back to reading as I've been neglecting it recently.

The last book I read was an anthology of short stories and poems shortlisted for the Bridport Prize from 2007 and I'm currently working my way through the 2008 collection. I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone interested in good writing and something a little bit different.

I'm interested in reading anything really, but I do have a soft spot for crossover and literary fiction.

Welsome one and all. I'm not sure I ever introduced myself, but if not, here goes:

Please allow me to introduce myself

Im a man of wealth and taste

Ive been around for a long, long year

Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was round when Jesus Christ

Had his moment of doubt and pain

Made damn sure that pilate

Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you

Hope you guess my name

But whats puzzling you

Is the nature of my game

I stuck around St. Petersburg

When I saw it was a time for a change

Killed the czar and his ministers

Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank

Held a generals rank

When the blitzkrieg raged

And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you

Hope you guess my name, oh yeah

Ah, whats puzzling you

Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I watched with glee

While your kings and queens

Fought for ten decades

For the gods they made

I shouted out,

Who killed the Kennedys?

When after all

It was you and me

Let me please introduce myself

Im a man of wealth and taste

And I laid traps for troubadours

Who get killed before they reached Bombay

Pleased to meet you

Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah

But whats puzzling you

Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

Pleased to meet you

Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah

But whats confusing you

Is just the nature of my game

Just as every cop is a criminal

And all the sinners saints

As heads is tails

Just call me lucifer

cause Im in need of some restraint

So if you meet me

Have some courtesy

Have some sympathy, and some taste

Use all your well-learned politesse

Or Ill lay your soul to waste, um yeah

Pleased to meet you

Hope you guessed my name, um yeah

But whats puzzling you

Is the nature of my game

Hello

and a quick hello

nice to see a book forum that is not limited to fiction.

I enjoy reading mainly non-fiction. Biography, history, arts, science... whatever catches my eye at the time.

When I do stretch to fiction, I will be reading Iain Banks, Alasdair Gray...

:)

I want to become a better reader. I've been reading quite a bit more lately and want to say excited about it. Thought joining a reading group might be wise :)

Welcome to BGO, nicd.

I have moved your post to join the introductory posts of other new members.

I hope you will enjoy the site and will join in many discussions, and look forward to seeing you soon in the King Lear thread (It's in the poetry and plays forum).

Unless you have only joined in order to promote Fairest?

Hello, I recently joined this group hoping it would help me get back to reading as I've been neglecting it recently.

The last book I read was an anthology of short stories and poems shortlisted for the Bridport Prize from 2007 and I'm currently working my way through the 2008 collection. I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone interested in good writing and something a little bit different.

I'm interested in reading anything really, but I do have a soft spot for crossover and literary fiction.

Welcome Star - missed your opening posts. Hope you stick around!

Welcome, Lindsay (linsm33) from Scotland, Jing from London, Salamander from Melbourne, izzy, willoyd, Star, stclair, rfMan3 and Rosa (nlcd) from wherever. Have fun at this site, I'm sure you find a lot of ways to talk aobut your reading.

Hi everyone :)

I love books, and recently i've been reading all these new ones, and found all these new ideas floating around in my head. These are sort of half formulated, non sensical strings of thought, either genius or completle nonsense, and i've had no way to express them, which leaves them as such, and never allows me to fully complete them. I'm quite resolute that if i had the oppertunity to discuss them they'll make more sense, and seeing as ideas are my life force, i thought it would be largely beneficial if i did so. So i decided i'd have a look on the internet to see if there was a forum of people like me willing to discuss all things literary, and lo and behold i stumble across this one, so here i am hoping to find a group of people who will listen to me (fingers crossed) and who i can listen to and learn from.

Thats my story and im sticking to it!

Right now down to the basics.

My names Grace, i'm 15 years old, living in the UK, currently studying for my GCSE's (wohoo). I love to read, and my favourite books are Captain Corelli's Mandolin (hence the alius, and if you've only seen the film, you haven't seen half of it), Tender is the night, The Sheltering Sky and, more recently, The Shadow of the Wind. I also love to write and, as i'm sure most people do, i have a series of unfinished works, most numbering only a page in length! However, i'm currently working on something i hope will keep me occupied a little longer than its predecessors, she says experiencing a hint of deja vu!

Can't wait to get embroiled in some jiucy book chat :) (what a sentence!)

Much Love Kyria Pelagia

Welcome to BGO, KyriaP. How delightful to 'meet' someone who is so excited about books/reading/writing.

I hope you benefit from the time you spend here, and that your enthusiasm will meet an equal response (you can ignore our few tired old cynics if you want!).

Looking forward to reading your contributions around the forums.

(you can ignore our few tired old cynics if you want!).

Did someone call?

Hello, newbies, and season's greetings.

Hello there! Just wanted to say "Hello". I just joined up and I am looking forward chatting about lots of lovely books with you. :D

Hello!

Thought I had better show my face and introduce myself before I continued wandering around posting! :)

First of all - Happy New Year to everyone! ...I've been having a relaxing day of enjoying a day off from work, and decided to wander on over here and see if I could find some fellow book lovers like myself.

I'm Chelle, and I like reading a variety of fiction. My favourite books usually revolve around either animals, romance, humour, science fiction or magic - sometimes elements of more than one.

Some of the authors on my bookshelves include E. M. Forster, Alice Hoffman, Stephanie Meyer, Gerald Durrell, Rani Manicka, Margaret Forster, Jane Austen, Jack London, Nicholas Evans, and Peter Anghelides.

I look forward to continuing my reading and discussing books throughout 2009!

Hello all!

I stumbled upon this outpost on my internet wanderings yesterday and immediately thought it was the best-looking books forum I'd come across, so here I am registered.

I try to read all styles of mostly literary fiction and write (alas, part-time at the moment) too. I'm in the process of applying to the creative writing MA in East Anglia.

I tend to like quite bleak fiction(!), 'detached' narratives, dystopias, the work of the Modernists, though none of these are proscriptive.

I've recently gone through a 'J.G Ballard phase', which followed mini-Joyce/Ishiguro/Graham Swift phases previously.

Have just read:

Netherland - what was all the hype about?!

A Case of Exploding Mangoes - Excellent

Occasionally still wake up in cold sweat to images of:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

The Sea, The Sea

The Sorrows of a Young Werther

Will always cherish:

Portrait of an Artist As A Young Man

Waterland

His Dark Materials

Atrocity Exhibition

Fungus the Bogeyman

Oh and my name is Michael and I live in glorious Leicester - as far away from the sea as one can be in England (This may or may not be related to my phobia of The Sea, The Sea)

Welcome to BGO, Michael! It sounds like you're going to fit right in and you list some very interesting books. You'll find threads on most of these writers and where there isn't one please do kick one off! I look forward to seeing you around the board.