Bill

Introduce Yourself

A lot of new members recently - welcome one and all and I hope you come to enjoy this place as much as the rest of us! Please note that just because no one has posted in a thread for a long time doesn't mean it should be left to snooze. As new members I'm sure you'll have plenty of fresh things to add so do have a good rummage and revive any old threads that take your interest!

Hi I have been offline for so long and am glad to be back on the forum. Illness has been the main problem but so far so good I am ok now, well for a while anyhow. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Colin.

Well! Good to have you back,Colinj.

I hope all is well with you now, and look forward to seeing your posts around the board.

Welcome too, to the new folk who have joined us in the last few weeks. I echo David's invitation to revive older threads, and of course to join in active threads and start new ones.

Hi All,

I found this site while doing a random google, and it looks great! I am an avid reader of pretty much everything, depending on my mood. As a teenager I was a total Fantasy addict, but lost the bug for it about 5 years ago and now have much more eclectic taste.

Books I have read in the last few weeks include:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield,

Crocodile in the Nile by Elizabeth Peters,

Head over Heels in the Dales by Gervase Phinn

Death du Jour - Kathie Reichs

The Body Farm - Patricia Cornwell

Dead Heat - Dick and Felix Francis

Intrigue in the Village - Rebecca Shaw

Looking forward to being a member of a book group - something I don't really have the time for in real life, and hopefully getting some suggestions for new books to read!

Lis

...and hopefully getting some suggestions for new books to read!

Oh you'll find plenty of those! Welcome to BGO, Elisheba - I'm glad you found us. There's plenty to explore and if you have any questions you can post them here.

Hi everyone. I found this forum through google when i was looking for an online book group. I work odd shifts, and dont get much time for local, in person groups. I'm an avid reader, have been for as long as i can remember, I will give most books a go and dont really have a particular genre that is my favourite. Aside from reading books, i enjoy riding my motorbike, which i am very new to, camping, music and travelling. :)

hi..i'm bobblegobble...er

okay, i have to admit i feel rather foolish, being only thirteen, but i am really into books and writing. I read romance and fantasy, sometimes thriller. Mostly i joined this site because i am starting to write short stories, and i want opinions from people i don't really know.

Right now i am reading, Breaking Dawn - Stephanie Meyer

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

the diary of Anne Frank

Hello everyone!

I'm Helen, been on here for a few days now, but as yet have neglected to introduce myself. Not that much to say about me I guess, I'm 17, prolific reader as can be imagined. Don't really stick to any particular genre, apart from on the whole I guess you could say I've never been that much into teen fiction. And I hate to admit it, but I've never finished a Jane Austen, as much as I like her. I play the bassoon, and I joined the site because I wanted somewhere to hear other people's opinions on books, spread my own thoughts a bit, and generally talk about books/literature. I write a bit, mostly short stories at the moment, though in my foolish youth attempted a bit of a novel (basically just a shameless rip-off of all the costume dramas I was watching/reading at the time!). Might think about joining the Writer's Corner, sounds like it might be really helpful.

And that's about it I suppose, hi to everyone, and all fellow newbies! :)

Oh, and I also really like Classics in all forms. (Am pleased to announce that I do not have a similar parentage as Helen of Troy (or Sparta) herself, but also lack the ability to launch ships, which I suppose in a practical sense is a good thing).

Hey everyone!

First day at the site, and loving it :)

I've taken up reading this past year again after a long pause and I don't really have anyone interested in listening to me babble on about what type of books I've read and why I found them awesome, so this site is just great for me :arms:

My current obsession is Bret Easton Ellis. I've bought every book made by him and am currently reading through them one by one. Other interests are George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, can't wait for the next book in the series :)

Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos is also at the top of my list. Simply loved the way it combines love and hardcore science fiction.

I've also read the 3 Dexter books although I must say I only enjoyed the first 2 of that series, the third was a real disappointment.

Also, I've read On Killing by Dave Grossman and The Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo.

Anyway, looking forward to joining a couple of discussions in this community.

Cheers! :beerchug:

Hello to all you newbies - i've been offline for a while but it's great to come back to BGO and find so many new book lovers have joined. I hope you get as much enjoyment from this site as I do - and that if ever you are without a computer your withdrawal symptoms are less severe than mine were :rolleyes:

Hi, my name is Jess and I'm 22. I have loved books since the first time I set foot into a library at the age of eight but spent a good few years without picking up a book due to the inability to concentrate.

I have read more in the last 9 months than I have in quite a few years actually and have a big to read list. The reason I came looking for a book group is because I have just started English Literature at college and am finding it fascinating even though I have only had 1 lesson.

And I'm done... :D

Welcome, Jess!

What period have they started you on?

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

Welcome to all you lovely new members. I've been working my way through what you've been saying to each other over the last couple of weeks, and it's been refreshing to see so many new names in the discussions!

Hi,

I'm Alec, an American student studying abroad in Amsterdam at the Universiteit van Amsterdam. Working on a bachelor's in secondary education with a focus on History, but I'm a very, very big fan of literature and books in general. It's my lifeblood. I've read a fair amount of the Greek and Roman Classics at university so I'm open to discussing those works. Personally, I'm in love with the modern-day Japanese master of fiction Haruki Murakami. If you haven't read him, read him, you won't be the same after, I guarantee it. I also enjoy genre fiction, specifically sci-fi (older and modern), fantasy (1970-present and Tolkien), mystery (golden age, the occasional crime thriller), cyberpunk, steampunk, and gothic-fiction. My guilty pleasure is the occasional children's novel- I guess that comes from my year working in the child/young adult areas at the library or something. Looking forward to these forums!

Alec

Hello, everyone. My name is Eric, the brother of the user who's introduction post is just above mine. I'm also studying at the University of Amsterdam. At the University, I'm currently taking classes on American History, British and American Culture, Language and Iconicity, and Phonology of the English language. I'm currently working on my BA degree in secondary education for English.

I have been influenced by many writers and poets, ever since I was a small boy. My childhood was filled with works by Roald Dahl and Judy Blume. The first author I really attached to intellectually was Gabriel Garcia Marquez, followed by Mexican poet Octavio Paz (and also Chilean poet Pablo Neruda). After that, I latched onto Alexander McCall-Smith, Haruki Murakami, and Paolo Cohelo. I've unexpectedly acquired a recent taste for English Renaissance literature. I particularly enjoy Shakespeare and Donne. Aside from reading, I've additionally been doing a bit of fiction writing. Just short stories for now. I've also spent some time writing poetry and have had two poems published in a student literary journal at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Thanks for having me at the forum and I hope to have some fun and stimulating conversation over books and writing!

I also enjoy genre fiction, specifically sci-fi (older and modern), fantasy (1970-present and Tolkien), mystery (golden age, the occasional crime thriller), cyberpunk, steampunk, and gothic-fiction.

I'm showing my ignorance, but steampunk?

I'm showing my ignorance, but steampunk?

Steampunk is (apparently) set in the Industrial Revolution, and changes one invention, so the entire history changed. This might imply that Jules Verne's The Time Machine was steam punk.

I wonder... was 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea? Was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

hi my name is clo

i am studying to be a teacher for key stage 1

cant really say that i have a genre that i prefer when it comes to books, i will pretty much read most things, as i just enjoy gettin lost in a story.

I joined this site because i like to know other peoples thoughts on books as i find it gives me a better or different understanding, and also i sometimes find my self stuck for a good book so thought this site would be able to recommend me to new books that i probably wouldnt find by my self.

Hi, I feel I have to reintroduce myself. Haven't been here for ages. My migraines don't allow me to be at the PC very much. But I haven't forgotten BGO and will try to come back from time to time. Hi to everyone who still remembers me.

Momo

Momo, how wonderful to 'hear' from you again!

We do miss you, and I'm sorry to hear that you are still troubled by severe migraines - but am delighted that you feel well enough to pop in here at the moment.

Long may it last!

Thank you, meg, for the lovely welcome. I don't feel I've earned it since I abandoned you for so long. But I'll try to come back more often. I've just updated my book list so if you are interested you can see what I've been up to. Also, my book club has chosen their books for the next year and I hope to post that in the next couple of days.

Will go to bed now. Night, night.

A very warm welcome back from me too, Momo! You certainly haven't been forgotten and indeed I believe it was meg who lamented your absence recently when Esperanto was raised in a discussion. You were a central pillar of BGO for a long while and it definitely isn't the same without you.

I do hope the situation with your migraines is improving and that we're going to see much more of you once again.