Bill

Introduce Yourself

The obvious one is Dr Zhivago (Boris Pasternak). You might like James Meek's The People's Act of Love, although it isn't strictly a war story. The thing is, the best books are the ones that don't follow a well trodden path but have something original about them. Right now, my fave book ever is This Thing Of Darkness by Harry Thompson, but it is a long, detailed epic. I'd hesitate from recommending it in case you hated it - people's tastes vary so much.

Thanks a lot, any recommendations are welcome. I'll be sure to look around the library tomorrow for anything that catches my eye. In the meantime i'll check out some off those.

:)

Welcome to BGO, Ophelia. I hope you enjoy browsing the site, and that you will find much to interest you here.

Welcome to you, too, thecabbage, I'm sure you'll find plenty of books to suit you amongst the ones discussed on various threads.

The Siege might very well suit you, and if you like really long books, there is this one, which has been a runaway success with many BGO members.

Hey! I'm 18, female... I'm into animals (i'm vegan) and arty, creative things (especially creative writing). I love reading, film and my spirituality. My best friend is my jack russell terrier dog, Lucy.

My hobbies are craft, art, needlework, reading, creative writing, yoga, my spirituality, swimming, film, music, animals, veganism, campaigning, penpalling via snailmail, internet, MSN...

I'm technically a curtains consultant, but am unfortunately on long-term sick.

Reading... Well, I love fantasy, myth, legends, dark fantasy, historical fantasy, classical literature, some horror and non-fiction (anything to do with my medical problems, my veganism/animal+environmental thing, or my spirituality).

My all-time favourite book is Lord of the Rings.

My favourite authors are: Tolkien, Stephen King, Edgar Allen Poe, Oscar Wilde, George Orwell, Jonathon Stroud, Terry Pratchett, Eoin Colfer, Angela McGerr, Phillip Pullman and Chris Wooding.

So...

mj

x x x x

P.S - point noticed about the font colour David! Thanks for PMing me.

P.S - point noticed about the font colour David! Thanks for PMing me.

No problem! You certainly have a lot of interests.

Unfortunately I'm into animals in a very different way from yourself - not being vegan - but that's the great thing here: lots of different views coming together! There's plenty to discover here and if you have any questions do drop back in this thread to ask!

I'm 36 engaged to a wonderful man serving in our armed forces. I'm an administrator for an Assurance Company - an ok job .... it pays the mortgage I have been there for coming up to 11 years (time does fly).

I love hiking in our wonderful countryside and am soon camping in the Lake District and then a week walking up a few munros in Scotland, then more camping in the Dent (Yorkshire Dales). I am currently tracing my family tree (last 2 years) and have found all sorts of things out.

I have 2 lovely little cats Bonnie and Spice who are sisters and both are 10 years old. I love films especially crime, supernatural (whitchcrafty) films.

Books I love are also crime...... Martina Cole, Mandasue Heller, Gilda O'Neill. I have just finished Jeffrey Archer's Prisoner of Birth (loved it), and i'm on the last few pages of Sadie by Jane Elliott.

I also have 2 other books on the go.... Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger and Playing for Pizza by John Grisham will finish both of them but neither are keeping my attention.

Hope you're all well and having a nice evening.

mj planet18 and Tonya1uk, welcome to BGO.

From your introductory posts it looks as though you will be bringing plenty of variety to the forums. I look forward to hearing more from you both.

Hello aquablue.

Good to have you on board. Avatars can only be uploaded by subscribers to the site. It costs a lot for Bill, the owner of BGO, to run and so as a little incentive for a one-off payment you can have an avatar, which seems pretty reasonable given the enjoyment our regular members receive from using the site.

You can see further details here.

Hi

I am really new to this. I found the website as am looking for a place where people love reading as much as me! I am currently reading a crime thriller by Mark Billingham which is excellent. My favourite author is Diana Wynne Jones. I like reading most stuff, and am always looking for books that people can recommend.

E

Heya everyone,

Just got into this, hoping my first posts don't sound too stupid! Found this while browsing aimlessly so no hints about efficient publicity there. Currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (vampires galore). I am *trying* to write a book of my own - have attempted before but never finished one - so I'll most likely spend the majority of my time trawling writer's corner for hints and tips but might drop into the other sub-forums every so often if people are talking about a book I know. Nice to meet all you guys.

Nightfly

Welcome! Its not often I pop in hear (I guess I'm too self centred!) but I liked your name so took a look...

I am probably the only person on here who actually like the Historian so heres hoping you do too!

Heya everyone,

Just got into this, hoping my first posts don't sound too stupid! Found this while browsing aimlessly so no hints about efficient publicity there. Currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (vampires galore). I am *trying* to write a book of my own - have attempted before but never finished one - so I'll most likely spend the majority of my time trawling writer's corner for hints and tips but might drop into the other sub-forums every so often if people are talking about a book I know. Nice to meet all you guys.

Nightfly

Hi Nightfly,

How are you finding The Historian?

I read it a couple of years ago. It took a little longer than I had anticipated to read it, I had to keep back-tracking because of the multi-layered narrative, the narrator-within-narrator structure, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, wonderful writing.

If you enjoy it, you may also enjoy The Vampyre: Being the True History of Lord Byron by Tom Holland.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vampyre-Tom-Holland/dp/0349120463/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217947251&sr=1-3

I work in an academic library, and I did my Masters here in Romantic Lit. concentrating on Byron's Don Juan, so when I happened upon this book I was delighted. Holland has also written a very good history of the Roman Republic called Rubicon, and he did his Phd on Byron, so I kind of think of him and me having some common ground.

I haven't ventured into writing fiction myself, apart from some narrative poetry in free verse, but I do ocassionally write book reviews for academic journals, those that deal with Romanticism; I'm currently in the process of reviewing two anthologies, one of Romantic poetry and one of prose writings of the period. Apart from keeping my writing hand in, it also means I get free books!

Nice to meet you, and welcome,

Best,

Sam

Hello everyone - found this forum while looking for another one I'd subscribed to but the name of which I'd forgotten...

Anyway. Nice to be here. :)