Bill

Introduce Yourself

Subjects that I love to read about are Philosophy, Human Behaviour, Religion, Native or first nation Americans and Canadians. Basically I like to know what makes people tick and have more questions than answers.

One great book about the Hadai (a First Nations people of Canada) is

The Golden Spruce. Well worth a look.

And welcome!

One great book about the Hadai (a First Nations people of Canada) is

The Golden Spruce. Well worth a look.

And welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion will have a closer look. I have read in recent times Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, My mother is the wind, and Lanmb deer seeker of visions.

have you seen the film DreamKeepers or the music of Kashtin.

Adrian are you from New Zealand. Its is one of my yet to live dreams to visit.

That would have been my guess! I work in north Bristol.

I leave in between Bristol and Bath and eekk I find myself working in Bath.

Welcome to BGO, Scott. I've put your post in the Please Introduce Yourself thread - you'll soon find your way around and see what should go where. I hope you'll find things in the Children and Young Adults section in particular that interest you!

have you seen the film DreamKeepers or the music of Kashtin.

No to both but I'll check them out.

Adrian are you from New Zealand. Its is one of my yet to live dreams to visit.

Not from NZ originally but an English immigrant.

Hi all,

Seeing as it seemed the polite thing to do, I'm putting my first post in here to say hello to the Book Group. So hello, folks! How are we all today?

I'm 29 years old (almost 30), happily married for five years, and my daughter has just turned two . . . so life is pretty good at the moment. I'm a great lover of classical music, and I work in the industry, which makes my work life quite exciting as well.

In the meantime, as far as books go, my main reading time is the 20 minutes there and 20 minutes back I get on my train ride to work, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I like to read all sorts of genres, from horror novels to classic books to theology to self-help books to graphic novels. I'm not so worried about the style of book so much as whether it is well written.

I haven't read so many news books that are coming out, because on last count, I had something like 150 books sitting around at home that desperately need to be read . . . so I'm trying to clear my backlog (either by reading them or getting rid of them) before I move on to new ones . . . but this is a daunting project.

The reason I joined this board was because of a throwaway conversation with my wife about War and Peace yesterday and a bit of a challenge that came out of that. But I'll post about that somewhere else.

Welcome to BGO, AlligatorPurse, you'll certainly find we have plenty of suggestions for new books to read :D

I hope you are finding something to interest you in the book discussions already started in the various forums, Do feel free to add your thoughts to them - they are never finished - and a new perspective often stirs up an apparently dormant thread into lively discussion. If there isn't already a thread for a book you want to comment on it's fine to start one, someone will turn up sooner or later to respond to your post.

Welcome to BGO to you too, Bromley. A TBR pile of 150 books sounds about right for the average BGO member - I'm sure you'll fit right in here ;) . I notice that you have already discovered our member TopCat's "War and Peace Challenge" thread. I guess you have something less demanding in mind for your challenge, especially if you have to keep to your read and commute time slot? :D

Hi Everyone

I joined yesterday and so here I am to introduce myself. I found this site through google - I was looking for a place just like this where I could share thoughts and opinions about anything book related.

Lately, i've been reading mostly biographies and historical novels and my other preferences include russian litterature and english classics.

I hope to be able to learn a lot from all of you! :)

Welcome to all the new members - I've been away for the last 3 weeks, but am back now and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome back Flingo!

Did you see how we polished off your library quiz almost before you were out the door? :D Hope you're proud of us!

Hello all!

I stumbled across this really whilst looking for recommended holiday reads for my summer hol in July.

What a brilliant site it seems!!!

I'm an English teacher but rarey have the time to read for pleasure, so am quite out of date with more recent books. I enjoy thrillers, crime novels, autobiographies and, of course, being in my twenties, chick lit!!!

Look forward to more forum chat in the future! X

Hi Juicycherry - great username!

Welcome to BGO. You're right, it is a great site! You'll find there is a number of us English teachers here. Being north of the border, I've already gone on holiday, and of course I'm looking forward to making inroads on the TBR (=To Be Read) pile!

Hope you enjoy the site.

Welcome back Flingo!

Did you see how we polished off your library quiz almost before you were out the door? :D Hope you're proud of us!

Thank you! I'm really impressed - in fact, we'd just checked in at the airport when Chuntzy posted the final one. Must make it harder next time!!

Welcome to juicycherry - I'm sure you'll find plenty of recommendations for the summer - even when I thought I had my final list ready for my holiday BGO managed to provide me with 2 more holiday must reads! Enjoy, and let us know what you think of the books you get to read in the summer.

Hi!

My name is Andrew and I have just started reading books --- Im 20 now and while I was in school books didn't seem to interest me that much -> there were always Movies Toons =) and a lot of stuff to do and reading was not on the list. But now I'm opening up to this amazing world of books--->>> I like the books that inspire, offer new ideas - the ideas that scare you and enlighten you at the same time.

We are welcoming a lot of new members at the moment, so if you have just joined, why not introduce yourself here? Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like reading, and if you have any questions about the site, ask away.

I'm sure our existing members will want to wish you all a warm welcome, and will be happy to answer any queries. Yes, it is a large site, with lots of forums, but it doesn't take long to find your way around. And it means there's a lot there to get your teeth into.

Hi everyone

My name is Sharon and I have today become a member all and am hoping to get to know lots of membersl and have lots of discussions and debates about some of the wonderful books I love to read. I did not realise how much time I spend reading until I this weekend transfered my fav books from the spare room to my newly built den at the back of the house on to brand new book shelves. Seeing all my favourites and then remembering what I enjoyed about them, how they kept me up night after night unable to wait till I got to the part where I discovered who did it or how. I am a massive Jack Reacher fan in fact I am 90% Jack although I be there are quite a few out there who are 100% Jack. I enjoy lots of authors work and have just started No time for goodbye by Linwood Barclay. Hopefully someone will want to talk to me about it when I have finished it

Welcome to the most recent new members. :wavey:

Impulse, It would be good to see more activity in the biography forum - perhaps your enthusiasm will inspire others to get reading more biographies.

As Minxminnie said, juicycherry, there are a number of teachers amongst our membership, so I'm sure you will be able to find kindred spirits in the various book forums, and in the Anything But Books section, too.

I hope the recommendations already made by other members have managed to inspire you, flait111, and that you will let us know how you get on with the books you try.

I hope you will tell us some of the things you have enjoyed about books from your past, blackwells, as well as keeping us up to date wuth your ongoing reading. I'm sure you'll soon find the thread devoted to Jack Reacher - you are not the only fan here!

I am a massive Jack Reacher fan in fact I am 90% Jack although I be there are quite a few out there who are 100% Jack.
I am 101% Jack, Sharon! Welcome, it'll be good not to feel so alone in my Reacher worship.

Hello everyone. I'm here to introduce myself after I found this site through Google. I'm 22 and my favourite writers include W. Somerset Maugham, Richard Yates, W.G. Sebald, Barbara Pym and Evelyn Waugh.

My pockets are full of scraps of paper with recommendations scribbled on, I will read anything but mainly go for classic or literary fiction, history, poetry, biographies and a little bit of politics and philosophy thrown in for good measure.

My biggest weakness is for anything printed by Virago or Persephone Books and I am currently reading "Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky" by Patrick Hamilton. I'm happy to discuss all kinds of books with all kinds of people, the forum looks great!

Hi everyone, would like to introduce myself to the site. :wavey:

I'm a 24 year old male living in Edinburgh. I've not been reading too long, around 4 years or so.

I first started getting into books as my Grandma introduced me to the the Rebus series from Ian Rankin. Really enjoyed these books and ended up reading the whole series. From then i went on to read more murder mystery types, (in fact i'm currently reading Buried by Mark Billingham) but wanted to branch out to different types of book. I then went on to Irvine Welsh and Iain Banks. Ive obviously read more than just those authors but they were all in the sort of genre.

A couple of months ago i discovered Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts which i loved. I really wanted to find similar types of books to this but found it hard as i have no idea where to start. I've found Waterstones helpful as they have a tool on their website which directs you to similar books, but only a few came up. Was looking to find some recommendations of good books which sort of play with your heart a little rather than just crime thrillers and drug stories.

The very few books i have read over the past few months i can give as an example:

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Sorry about the long post but I have been looking for a while now for books like these and i'm finding it difficult. Stummbled across this site and it looks very imformative.

Hope to help anyone out when i can.

Cheers

Hello The Cabbage!

A good starting point would be the Central Library on George Iv Bridge! You can try lots of boos for no cost.

If you like murder mystery, you might branch out into Japanese books by Ryu Murukami or Natsuo Kirino. This might lead you on to David Mitchell through number9dream. Or perhaps you might try David Peace (start with Nineteen Seventy-Four or GB-84) and see some real life intrigue. Or for something Scottish, try James Kelman's How Late It Was How Late or James Robertson's Testament of Gideon Mack.

But a good starting point is to look on the libraryshelves for books that have interesting titles or covers, read the blurb and decide whether or not to give them a go.

Good luck and tell us how you get on.

Hello The Cabbage!

A good starting point would be the Central Library on George Iv Bridge! You can try lots of boos for no cost.

If you like murder mystery, you might branch out into Japanese books by Ryu Murukami or Natsuo Kirino. This might lead you on to David Mitchell through number9dream. Or perhaps you might try David Peace (start with Nineteen Seventy-Four or GB-84) and see some real life intrigue. Or for something Scottish, try James Kelman's How Late It Was How Late or James Robertson's Testament of Gideon Mack.

But a good starting point is to look on the libraryshelves for books that have interesting titles or covers, read the blurb and decide whether or not to give them a go.

Good luck and tell us how you get on.

Thanks for the recommendations MrHB. Ive often thought about joining the library but have never got round to it, I have the day off tomorrow so might just do it. Just googled some of your rec's and I'm intrigued by Ryu Murukami so that may be a starting point.

Do you have any thoughts about the other types of books in my post, tragic tales of friendship/love/family for example? I don't really mean love stories as such but stories of passion and hardship because of something like war?