Hi. Heard about this website on the Hay-On-Wye website. I work parttime at Waterstones bookstore (pay is rubbish, but I get a good staff discount and loads of free books and proofs). Currently reading a proof copy of Husbands and Other Lovers by Jane Elizabeth Varley....and enjoying it. I am also busy studying (BA Hons in Literature at OU)partime and teach preschool parttime and am a full time mum to two little monkeys (4 and 5 years). This is my first bookclub.

Cheers, cindy

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am also busy studying (BA Hons in Literature at OU)partime

Cheers, cindy

Hi Cindy - I am also doing a BA (Hons) Literature and English Langauge through the OU - what stage are you at and how are you finding it?

Hi everyone

I am living in Manchester, I heard about this site like so many others in the Sunday Times culture mag. i have had a good few looks around and it really is the best books site. My interests are reading, football(Bolton Wanderers),

travel(if only I could afford to...). my favourite author is P.D. James but I will give anything a go except science fiction/fantasy which does nothing for me.

I am an American in New England, an avid reader. I was introduced to BGO by Grammath, a lifelong friend (his life, mine's considerably longer). I note as a kindred spirit ChrisG's pronpensity for reading anything, including labels, if nothing else is available. I have been at the Hay Festival for the last three years and will keep going forever, if possible. I have read so many British books that I sometimes forget how I am supposed to spell certain words on this side of the pond.

I am currently reading Blue Blood by Edward Conlon, a wonderful memoir of his time on the New York City police force and Death in Holy Orders by PD James, who is a favorite of mine. I believe it's her only book that I hadn't read. I love mysteries and just about anything else, usually fiction, but not limited to it. Elizabeth George is an American who writes wonderful English mysteries. I wonder if they ring just as true to a Brit.

Two authors I have always enjoyed are Margaret Atwood and Marge Piercy. And before and since a recent trip to China I have been devouring anything I can find about that country. Before I went I read Jung Chang's Wild Swans, a fabulous book that tells the history of China in the 20th century through the stories of her grandmother, mother and herself -- so well written that it is as much a page-turner as a novel. I look forward to sinking my teeth into her new book about Mao.

I look forward to sinking my teeth into her new book about Mao.

Jung Chang's book about Mao was serialised on the radio over here last week (in an abridged form). I only heard a couple of episodes, but it sounded very interesting, so I will be looking out for it when it is published in paperback.

Haven't read any Elizabeth George, as far as I can remember, but enjoy the TV version of The Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am an avid reader and because of that took a shot at writing. I like to know what's going on with other readers, what they are reading, not reading, liking and why, not liking and why. That why I joined this book group. I used to write historical fiction under the name Lynn Armistead McKee but I have switched genres and have thriller, co-written with Joe Moore, to be released Sept. 2005. The title is THE GRAIL CONSPIRACY. So now I am feeling the pulse of readers and what they are in to for more ideas. So I will be all over this site, listening and learning. If you want to see what the book is all about you can check out our website at http://www.grailconspiracy.com

Hope to hear from you.

Lynn

Hello Everyone,

I am an avid reader and because of that took a shot at writing. I like to know what's going on with other readers, what they are reading, not reading, liking and why, not liking and why. That why I joined this book group. I used to write historical fiction under the name Lynn Armistead McKee but I have switched genres and have thriller, co-written with Joe Moore, to be released Sept. 2005. The title is THE GRAIL CONSPIRACY. So now I am feeling the pulse of readers and what they are in to for more ideas. So I will be all over this site, listening and learning. If you want to see what the book is all about you can check out our website at http://www.grailconspiracy.com

Hope to hear from you.

Lynn

Hi Lynn

Welcome to the site - your website is pretty cool especially the intro and having read the first chapter I am intrigued - so if I make a big enough dent in my TBR list then I may get your book. I do like historical thrillers/fiction and haven't read the Da Vinci Code so I probably wouldn't spend time comparing it to that!

Looking forward...

Hi, I joined up well back when you started at the recommendation of a friend. I’ve been away chatting at the Republic of Pemberley, but now id like to come back and have some chat about other books I like. I’m not fussy will try anything, always up for new recommendations. Last read a Jilly Cooper - my first one and thought it was sweet, before that it was The Food of Love, im also plodding my way through The Mill on the Floss, but without a lot of enthusiasm. Next on the list Birdsong.

Hi all, I got the link here from Permberley so as you might guess I like Jane Austen a lot although I read fantasy and sci-fi more than any other genere - the shelves in my lounge will verify this.

I live in Portishead and work in Bristol as a programmer, I also did my degree here. Have been reading fiction for pleasure since I was a child aside from when I had to do "Eng Lit" at school.

Currently reading HP6 (second time, to spot all the details I missed on Saturday :D )

Hi

I heard about this site through the recommendation of someone at Pemberley. I'm from Ireland and I love reading. My favourite author is Jane Austen - all her novels are magnificent. I also love Harry Potter books, PG Wodehouse, the Brontes and lots of 19th century novels.

This site looks great, I'm looking forward to exploring it more!

I have a varied taste in literature! I joined because I enjoy discussing books with others and hope to get some new ideas for recommended reading. My favourites range from 'Birdsong', 'Wuthering Heights', 'Romeo & Juliet' to 'Charlotte's Web' and Roald Dahl (too many years teaching Primary children!). Look forward to talking with you all.

• 2 weeks later...

just joined today and feel slightly out of place - hopefully i'll soon come to know my way around! i'm sheila and currently a student doing the IB diploma... ...english, history and languages are the subjects i'm most passionate about. my fave authors would have to be henry james (but i haven't read Wings of the Dove yet - am i missing out on a lot?), charlotte bronte, donna tartt (for 'The Secret History'...'the little friend' was rather dull), ian mcewan, jk.rowling and jane austen. <-- quite a lot of austen fans here, i've noticed! look forward to talking with you all :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Really glad to have found this site - so many people, discussing so many books. I read a wide variety of mainly novels - try to read The Independent when I get the chance as I have today and seen about a new competition for short story writers. Is there any avid reader who wouldn't love to write?

Currently reading 'The Boy with No Shoes' biographical writing of the childhood of William Horwood ('Duncton Wood' among others).

Last 5 books:

'Past Mortem' Ben Elton

'Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince' J.K. Rowling

'Trace' Patricia Cornwell

LOTR: Book 3 'The Return of the King' J.R.R.Tolkien

'Holy Fools' Joanne Harris

Do also love to read classics - Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen, Daphne du Maurier, again among others.

Hello. I've been registered for the last two minutes. Not sure how I heard of the site, but I've been looking in from time to time over the last few months.

I suppose 80% of what I read is fiction, mostly 19th, 20th and 21st century British and American fiction. The 20% non fiction is mostly about politics or history, but occasionally, and increasingly less so, sport.

Last five books:

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq

Young Men in Spats by P.G. Wodehouse

The Diary of a Nobody by George & Weedon Grossmith

Ravelstein by Saul Bellow

Politics by Adam Thirlwell

Hi

I am from Perth, Western Australia. I found this place while looking for forums that discussed books. I am an avid reader. I read romance to thrillers to true crime and other mysteries. At one stage I was reading a book a night, I am now reading 3 books a week.

I own over a 100 books which I am now steadly selling off.

A friend was raving about the site, so I thought I'd check it out. I liked what I saw so here I am...

I'm based in Oxford, working in publishing, with access to masses of books. For an avid reader, that's gotta be good! I read quickly and widely, and am hoping for some tips on good books - I'm always looking for something new to read.

Hello all!!

As there is now well over 100 posts on this list, I think it is time to put the kettle on and break out the biscuits to welcome all these new members. What do you reckon?!

oooo yes please, make mine a jammy dodger :D

A friend was raving about the site, so I thought I'd check it out. I liked what I saw so here I am...

I'm based in Oxford, working in publishing, with access to masses of books. For an avid reader, that's gotta be good! I read quickly and widely, and am hoping for some tips on good books - I'm always looking for something new to read.

You are heartily welcome, Bexnana. Glad you like the site!

A friend was raving about the site, so I thought I'd check it out. I liked what I saw so here I am....

Raving about it, eh? I wonder who that might be? One or two might be described as 'raving' I suppose. :D

Glad to have you aboard Bexnana, and looking forward to reading your contributions! :)

Hallo! Also responding to the request to 'stand up and be counted'... I currently live in North West England and have always enjoyed reading. Most influential recent read was 'Joe's War: My Father Decoded' by Annette Kobak... I heard just a snatch of this on R4 as Book of the Week and knew that Annette's history overlapped with mine... Would love to chat to anyone else who connected with this book.

More recent reads:

The Poisonwood Bible.................Barbara Kingsolver

Miss Garnett's Angel...................Salley Vickers

Apricots on the Nile....................Colette Rossant

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly...Jean-Dominique Bauby

Currently reading 'And when did you last see your father ' by Blake Morrison. I am 'on a bit of a roll' with this just now, as I can gauge how quiet my head is by the extent to which I can really lose myself in a book...