Bill

Introduce Yourself

Thought I'd pop in and say 'hello'. Being an avid reader with varied tastes this looks like somewhere I might be glad to escape to after a long day at work. I'm in an RL book group - the lone male of six - which leads me to things I would never have picked up on my own, and I enjoy the civilization of literary discussion.

As for my own choices, I've just finished James Long's Ferney and loved it despite it not being my usual fodder. Favourite authors include John Updike, Lawrence Norfolk, (early) Peter Ackroyd, Scarlett Thomas, Umberto Eco, Lawrence Durrell, F.Scott Fitzgerald, Richard Powers, Iris Murdoch and Evelyn Waugh - and many others.

I guess I'll be looking to get some new ideas as well as making a few suggestions and sharing my own views. Maybe see you around the threads.

Welcome to BGO, Twelvetrees. That's an interesting collection of favourite authors and I look forward to reading your views on them and many others!

Another welcome from me, Twelvetrees. Nice to have another north Londoner on the board.

Another welcome from me, Twelvetrees. Nice to have another north Londoner on the board.

Although aesthetically he really ought to be from Sevenoaks...

;)

....Umberto Eco, Lawrence Durrell,

Was it Lawrence Durrell who ran the Jersey zoo, wrote Catch Me Columbus, and other amusing and occasionally scatalogical stories of his monkey hunting adventures. His wife wrote a book about her marriage called Beast In My Bed.

Is that the chap?

He had a splendid way with words!

Rowena

Was it Lawrence Durrell who ran the Jersey zoo, wrote Catch Me Columbus, and other amusing and occasionally scatalogical stories of his monkey hunting adventures. His wife wrote a book about her marriage called Beast In My Bed.

Is that the chap?

He had a splendid way with words!

Rowena

That would be Gerald Durrell - his youngest brother, whose works I'll admit to never having read. Lawrence was slightly more experimental in both life and prose - writing multi-faceted stories set in Alexandria and Avignon amongst others, including several unjustly neglected volumes of poetry.

Thank you, Twelvetrees.

Lawrence was "more experimental" you say? My goodness, they must have been an interesting family. That reminds me of the Burton brothers.

:-)

Best wishes,

Rowena

Hi All

My name's Lyn and I found this site by doing a Google search for "Online book groups.

I love reading and have done for as long as I can remember. In, fact, I can't understand people that never pick up a book (my sister and my kids).

I'll read pretty much anything, but it has to "grab" me in the first few pages or I won't continue.

I like what I call "easy" reading, authors such as Mary Jane Staples, Dee Williams, Lyn Andrews, books about certain cities around the turn of the century to the Second World War. A also read a lot of "misery" autobiographies, books about the terrible lives people have led and how they triumphed. I particularly like Torey Hayden and books on Autism.

As a Teaching Assistant, my recent purchases have been educational and children's books, including anything on how to do my job better.

I just wondered whether most people read more classical literature, what I would class as heavy books. I can't pretend to have ever been interested in War and Peace or Dostoevsky. Does there tend to be a snobbishness in these groups if the Authors I like are mentioned or are general tastes more wide ranging?

I look forward to hearing from anybody who fancies a chat.

Lyn

welcome to all new members. We are pretty eclectic here Mrsmouse4 and read a wide variety of books. And we are all looking for new ideas.

Twelvetrees, perhaps you could post something (in the relevant section) on Durrell. I read the Alexandria Quartet many years ago and a book about Cyprus and would be interested in reading more of Durrell's work I just don't know where to start :rolleyes:

I read the Alexandria Quartet many years ago and a book about Cyprus and would be interested in reading more of Durrell's work I just don't know where to start :rolleyes:
I would start by throwing them all out of the window. That's just me, though ;).

Hi All

My name's Lyn and I found this site by doing a Google search for "Online book groups.

I look forward to hearing from anybody who fancies a chat.

Lyn

Hello, Lyn,

Welcome. I've had a day of foot-in-mouth disease, so won't say more except that I think you'll find interesting people with whom to talk and books to your taste to talk about.

Welcome!

Rowena

Hello

I'm Squirls from the North West of England. I enjoy reading poetry ~ my favourite being Wild Geese by Mary Oliver.

I don't get time for novels, used to read lots but now only when I go on holiday. Last one I read last year was called History of Love by Nicole Krauss ~ very beautiful and another fairly good one about a man who dies and he gets to see episodes of his life from a different perspective to how he saw them at the time - can't remember the author or the title.

I also love reading popular science books for entertainment, my favourite being "Unweaving the Rainbow" ~ which is awesome.

Squirls x x x

Welcome, again, Squirls, it's good to have a new 'voice' in the poetry forum. We'll be happy to see a few of the older threads revived, if you have any thoughts to add.

I'm an eager young reader who likes witty and/or tragic books. At the moment I seem to be reading lots of plays- currently re-reading Cat on A Hot Tin Roof.

Can't stand long books- I read too many when I was younger and now go for very short books. :)

Hi Kelby lake, nice to meet you properly, after you made me come out about my true feelings for Anna Karenina, over on the Great Gatsby thread ;)

I share your preference for short books, by the way! I'm trying to develop the patience for longer ones...

edit: No longer on the 'Great Gatsby' thread, but the Books Everyone Loves but You Hate thread in Central Library

megustaleer (moderator)

At the moment I seem to be reading lots of plays- currently re-reading Cat on A Hot Tin Roof.

There is the start of a thread for Cat On a Hot Tin Roof here which is crying out for more people to join in a discussion - please do add your thoughts to it.

Hi my name is Debbie, I love reading and writing, but I don't get that much time for the latter, Ive had a quick browse of the forum and it looks friendly enough...hope so. Im looking forward to being educated on all things bookish :D

Welcome Moondance, Squirls, Mrsmouse and Kelby_Lake and also to anyone else who has joined BGO recently.

I love this forum and I hope you will too - I've not been online much in the last week or so and am now catching up with all the posts on here to help relieve my withdrawal symptoms :rolleyes:

Hi I am tiz and live in the capital of the West country. I have a deep and painful love of Scotland its Hills, Coastline, and people .....strange really as a proud and passionate Englishman. My intrests since age stopped me playing a high standard of Rugby include hillwalking the highest parts of England Scotland and Wales often requiring climbing as well, weight training and other forms of keep fit.

I have always enjoyed reading but since a visit to the doctors about my inability to ever fully unwind and relax reading has taken on new dimensions. Authors who really have made a huge impact on me are in no particular order, Thomas Hardy, J B Priestly, Gerald Seymour, Stephen King, and more recently Jolstein Garder, Scarlett Thomas, GW Dalquist, and Mark Zusak.

Subjects that I love to read about are Philosophy, Human Behaviour, Religion, Native or first nation Americans and Canadians. Basically I like to know what makes people tick and have more questions than answers.

Sophies world and the end of mr y are probably the best two books I have ever read and would love suggestions from folkhere if they know of other books in the same genre.

Hehe hope I have not bored you too much.

Hi I am tiz and live in the capital of the West country.
Hi tiz, welcome along, sounds like you've got interesting tastes. Please enlighten me, just where is the capital of the West Country...?

I have a deep and painful love of Scotland its Hills, Coastline, and people .....
Welcome to BGO tiz, and may I say what wonderful taste in geography you have.