• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone - I just wanted to introduce myself!

I am an avid reader but my current reading is taken up with mainly 19th century novels as I am currently doing AA316 the Open University course called Nineteenth Century Novels...I am enjoying it a lot; finding it hard going but worthwhile. I am cureently reading Germinal (Emile Zola) and Far from the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy).....and I have just finished Middlemarch (George Elliot) and Domey and Son (Charles Dickens) and have Madame Bovary, Woman in White, Dracula and a few others to look forward too before my course finishes in June!

When I am not studying and I have the time to read other books, I like reading crime fiction and also historical novels. In fact I am open to try anything once!

This is a large site with lots of threads so I hope to be able to get my head around it all and be able to join in with many discussions.

Happy reading everyone!

Charlotte (Edam) :)

Great to have you in the group, Charlotte! You're right, there are loads of threads to explore and plenty that I hope you'll find of interest. I very much look forward to seeing you around the board.

You'll find that you're not alone on the OU course here and there are others with whom you'll be able to discuss it. Take a look at this thread.

Hi. I can't remember how I found this site - think I googled 'Book forum' or something. Anyway, I'm glad I found it as most of the books I have read recently are from member recommendations. I have been reading the threads for some time, but have only just become a member.

I live in Perth, Australia and stay at home to look after my baby and toddler. I only recently began reading in earnest after my second child was born. I started reading while feeding him (several times) during the night. I managed to get through heaps of books this way. He is more settled now so I don't read as much, but the extra sleep is welcome. My favourite recent read is Atonement. As a testament to how much I enjoyed it; I would often find myself glued to the page at 2am, not noticing that the baby had fallen back to sleep.

miya

Welcome to BGO miya. Ah, you have awakened my memories of the 4am feeds, bay in one arm and books in the other. Glad to be on the other side of them now.

Make yourself at home and feel free to join in the discussions of your recent reads or start a new thread!

Hi Miyav. Great to hear how you squeeze in your reading! I don't have kids, but my sister had her first baby a couple of years back. I was amazed that she didn't use breastfeeding as an opportunity to pick up a novel! She was way too intense for that. I loved to recount her look of disgust when I showed her my new trick for baby watching - baby sleeping on shoulder, two hands free to read the newspaper ...

I haven't been here for a while and there are so many new members again: Welcome, Freydis, paddingtonbear, jonesyonline, Gorrigan, bookclubqueen (wow, what a website!), DREAMER, ZebraMc, Pedlar, Roman blood, Edam (any link to the city?), miyav. I'm sure you will all enjoy the site as much as we do.

MM, I had to laugh about your "babywatching" description. Can't see what's wrong with that. I loved to read while feeding. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a single mum of 2 , living in Adelaide, South Australia

working fulltime and sell on ebay part time.

I am an avid reader, I read up to 7 books a week, most weeks.

I travel by train to work, up to 45 minutes each way, and its a great time to read books.

I will read almost anything.

I cant remember how I found this website, but it was bookmarked in my favourites, so I came to take a look again.

Same here, welcome Fanny. I guess you do most of your reading on the train. I can imagine reading a lot then. Once you're on the job or at home there isn't that much time. I'm sure you can contribute a lot and might not have the problem most of us encounter here that our TBR piles grow and grow ...

Hi, i'm new on board and so far so good. found the website through trail and error. been to a few 'real' book groups but the range of books under discussion tend to be too broad for me.

i love reading classic literature, (probably a frustrated English teacher) and have set myself the target of reading some Dumas by the end of the year -heigh ho!!

Hello,

I am an author. I love reading and of course--writing. I am a full time author. My favorite authors are William Shakespeare, Agatha Christie, James Michenor, Mark Twain, Sue Grafton, and many more modern authors. Currently, I am reading Love, Janis by a friend of mine, Laura Joplin. I am always doing research. I love learning new things. I love meeting new people, also. I live in Texas with my family. Yes, I am native Texan and many times use the word "y'all". My current novel, Evolution of a Sad Woman, is an international selling, fictional, suspense, romance, murder-mystery thriller. It is my debut novel and is selling as a trade paperback. I am very proud of my book. I am very busy writing the sequel to my debut novel and another book. It is fun writing two at once.

If you would like to know more about me please visit my website http://www.galelaure.com. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Hey,

I'm a first year student at uni, studying psychology and history. I was looking up book forums/groups on google and liked the sound of this one; I wanted to join a book group as I don't really have the time, nor courage to join a real life one so I joined here. I've looked through a few of the threads, it looks like fun, I'm looking forward to participating more in the future.

I'm going through a bit of a Jeff Noon phase in my choice of reading right now, I don't think you have him on the list though....? But I'll read anything really, I like the classics, fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, drama...anything really.

I'd love to be an author, and I'm always writing (when I'm not reading :) ) but I bet you hear that a lot. Right thats me, sort of.

Gosh, I seem to have been very unwelcoming so far this year and have ignored everyone who has joined us since December :o:o

Many apologies, and a warm but belated welcome to all of you.

Cinimod, I think you are right about there being no thread so far on Jeff Noon. Do go ahead and start one to share your enthusiasm for his books with the rest of us - if, that is, you can decide on the right forum :rolleyes:

I have looked him up online, and his books appear to be either fantasy or sci-fi. As we have those in separate forums you'll have to decide where he best fits.

I found this on The Scriptorium

A number of labels have been applied to Noon's works, many of which he would dismiss as inadequate. In fact, he has come up with labels of his own, and so the various books fall neatly into the genres of avant pulp, metamorphiction, post futurism and surrealist noir. Of the above, it is avant pulp that best encapsulates his desire to merge narration with innovation.
It didn't help :D

I'm going through a bit of a Jeff Noon phase in my choice of reading right now, I don't think you have him on the list though....? But I'll read anything really, I like the classics, fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, drama...anything really.

I'd love to be an author, and I'm always writing (when I'm not reading :) ) but I bet you hear that a lot. Right thats me, sort of.

Welcome to BGO, Cinimod. Like you, I have also been through a Jeff Noon phase, although mine was quite a long time ago now and I haven't picked up a book of his for years.

"Pollen" particularly stuck in my mind. I especially liked the way he used Manchester in his novels, a city I'm fairly familiar with having studied for my degree there. It was recognisably the city of today but he made it brilliantly surreal at the same time.

Hello everyone.

I am a bookwork living in Auckland, NZ. I love my books and love discussing them so look forward to having a few chats.

My favourite authors are: Kazuo Ishiguro, Ann Patchett, Kate Atkinson, Wilkie Collins and Ian McEwan. I also have a bit of a fondness for Amy Tan, Nick Hornby, David Lodge, Iain Banks and Rohinton Mistry.

Some of my favourite books are: Birdsong, The Crow Road, The Enchanted April, Brooklyn Follies, The Unconsoled, Pride & Prejudice , Love in the Time of Cholera and Birdsong.

Look forward to meeting you all.

oops sorry, thats mean to say bookworm! Good start! :)

If you press the 'Edit' button on any of your posts you can alter slips such as that.

Welcome to the group, Redalligator! There are plenty of threads on the authors and books you mention to which you're very welcome to add your thoughts and feel free to start threads on any books that aren't already here.

Keep an eye open and you may even spot another Kiwi on the site! ;)

heh there, just a quick note to let you know who i am.

as i said i'm a Montessori teacher, working in an independent school. Basically the ethos comes from a fantastic Italian women, (the first female doctor in italy, early 1900's) who studied to prove that children learn better when they are active and learning to be INDEPENDENT-dressing and making their own choices etc from an early age. I am in the business of advising parents how to learn PARENTING SKILLS and teach their children LIFE SKILLS, rather than just DRAGGING their kids up.

The kids are given the responsibility from an early age to want to learn, not having to learn because someone has told them. This works 99% of the time, but we still have parents putting on kids shoes, when they are quite capable!

so obviously i enjoy reading to cut off from these parents!

my favourites are the classics but have enjoyed many new authors too. I avoid thillers and science fiction like the plague.

I think thats it really. i live in derby but am a proud scots girl who loves everything scottish. Football is my last passion but finding it difficult to keep up with work commitments and popping home. My partner generally only reads footie biographies so not much scope for a chat about what im reading ,

Thanks again for inviting me to introduce myself x