• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome, Freydis,

I look forward to "seeing" you on the forums here. There are lots to choose from.

Another site you might also enjoy, although nothing beats this one, is Shelfari.com. GoodReads.com is also not too bad, especially if you have a large library. :-)

I'm a fantasy/sci-fi Romance author.

Ten_FFandP_Authors_Sampler

Greetings all! .... My tastes are eclectic, running from classics to fantasy/sci-fi, poetry and history/historic fiction. Thanks, and I look forward to chatting with all of you.
Well organized site, lively chat, unpretentious.
I'm so pleased that this is the impression you have gathered from browsing the site, Freydis - I think it is the kind of reputation we have been aiming for. :)

So, welcome to BGO! I look forward to your contributions to the 'lively chat'!

Hello

I've been lurking on this site for a while and reading some of the great book reviews.

I read a fair bit, but as a full time working mother of two I sometimes don't get as much time to devote to reading as I'd like. However 2008 is my year of reading - hope to read 52 books this year. I look forward to joining some of the book discussions on the forum. My reading is quite varied - I've just finished The Kite Runner which I really enjoyed and am now starting on Animal's People.

Just a couple of questions:

i) do you have anywhere on here where people can keep a list of what they've read/hope to read - I really want to start a log.

ii) Does anyone here use Bookmooch?, I discovered it last year and it's great. A very good way of recycling old books and getting hold of new ones for free.

Happy 2008 everyone

PB

Welcome to the group, paddingtonbear! I'm glad you liked what you saw enough to join us and I trust you will already know what a friendly forum this is and what varied tastes we all have. Good luck with your reading resolution for 2008 and I look forward to hearing more about your reads!

Welcome to BGO, paddingtonbear!

i) do you have anywhere on here where people can keep a list of what they've read/hope to read - I really want to start a log.

The link that Stewart has posted is to the thread where folk intend to list the books they read in 2008. So far it consists of posts that people have made to 'bag' a place on the first couple of pages, although one or two seem to have started the year a little early.

If you want to list the books you have read during 2007, you need to go here .

Don't be intimidated by the length of some of the lists. I only managed 30 books in 2007, although I hope to read more in the coming year :rolleyes:

Someone did start a thread for books they intended/hoped to read in 2007, but I think we lost that in a bad 'crash' we suffered early in the year. There isn't one started yet for the coming year, as far as I know.

ii) Does anyone here use Bookmooch?, I discovered it last year and it's great. A very good way of recycling old books and getting hold of new ones for free.
Can't say I've noticed anyone mention Bookmooch, but several of us use ReaditSwapit (RiSi)

Enjoy exploring, and I'll 'meet' you around the board! :)

However 2008 is my year of reading - hope to read 52 books this year.

Welcome to BGO, paddington. I'm not sure if you are in the UK, but if so this is particularly appropriate as 2008 is the 2nd National Year of Reading (although the national version doesn't start until April...).

I'm going to take a look at RiSi and Bookmooch soon as I have a few books that haven't sold on greenmetropolis after about 18 months, and I need to get rid of them! Thanks for the heads up.

Just joined today.....correct it is a very big site.

Found you on a search engine, just wanted somewhere I could access peoples views on books and authors easily. Hope i have found it.

Currently reading 'One big damm puzzler' by John Harding. Fan of writers such as Auster, Kerouac, Mitchell and many more. Looking to maybe get into the classics a bit more this year.

happy new year!!

Welcome to BGO Gorrigan - unfortunately you have mentioned the one thing here at BGO guaranteed to empty your wallet, fill up your bookshelf, and expand your wishlist beyond financial viability. Recommendations. Plenty to be had. Delve in and feel free to join in new, old, or existing threads as you see fit. Nice to have you here.

...in here to say hey! I found BGO through an internet search for a book forum and must say, this is by far the best one I've been to. I decided to join up so I could chat about books and see what other avid readers are interested in these days.

I have a website Book Club Queen that I started in October after becoming a stay at home mom. I'm a teacher and have been in school for my own various degrees for the past 10 years and felt like my brain was starting to get a little stagnant by just being at home everyday with no intellectual stimulation. Don't get me wrong, the life of a 4 month old is very exciting and I'm blessed to be home with him, but mommy needs to keep learning! Hence, my website. I'm a HUGE reader and always a fan of the traditional book club so that's where my idea came from. It's been tons of fun working on it mainly because it's forced me to learn something new and I get to write about books!

I decided I needed to find a readers forum to join because I want to keep up with the world of readers out there. I'm a lover of fiction but always struggle with the nonfiction genre because it's just not "storylike" enough for me! So I figure this is a good place to hear about what's popular in nonfiction. Also, I ALWAYS have something to say (can you tell from my book of a post?) and thought this would be a great place to say it. I get overwhelmed by the amount of book blogs and the like in cyberspace. This is def. a great site to find good chats and not feel totally confused by all the stuff going on.

Okay, so that's me. I hope to get to know you all through book discussions down the road. Thanks David for suggesting I post here!

I'm off to find my first thread to join...

I am Bolivian born, live in the USA, I am a professional Translator/Interpreter.[ Read Philosophy and Letters at University advance Studies in International Law.]

I lived all over the world, love books,and collect them.

Please feel free to advise about books you are reading...

Also, I ALWAYS have something to say (can you tell from my book of a post?) and thought this would be a great place to say it.

We love people like that, bookclubqueen, so you'll fit in well! There's plenty to dig out here and please feel free to revive any older thread that you'd like to comment on - we love people doing that too!

Once again, a very warm welcome to the group and I have to say that I agree - this is by far the best book forum around! ;)

Edit: ...and welcome to you too, DREAMER! You should be able to find plenty of book recommendations around the site. Feel free to pop back here with any questions. I visited Bolivia some years ago now and very much enjoyed the experience; there is a thread on South American fiction here to which I'm sure you could add some informed opinion!

Back to join you after a lay-off: have lurked a few times, but am looking forward to joining in a bit more.

Zebra

Hello all

I have often viewed the threads on this site, but have decided it's time to join in!

I love most fiction, but favourites are (in no particular order): Martin Amis, John Updike, E. Annie Proulx, Don Delillo, Ian McEwan, Henry James, Dickens, Austen, Eliot, Salman Rushdie, Colm Toibin........... A broad church, I guess.

I am reading Falling Man by Don Delillo at the moment. Don't often fork out for HB, but couldn't resist. Weak willed in a bookstore, I'm afraid.

Cheers

Zebra

introduce myself? I am a seventy-five-year-old, still working - when I can - as a professional actor. My CV is, I suspect, somewhat . . . well, suspect: originally a graduate in agriculture, I worked in Malaya for the Rubber Research Institute for 8 years; returned in '63, married, became a teacher (though quite unqualified) and then found my way into public relations; worked there, in various capacities, for over twenty years; retired in '87 and, having acted all my life, turned professional. A little television, and a lot of theatre. And I still love it . . .

I have written, on and off, and am just about to publish my first book - a biography. More, in due course, in the Writers Circle.

In reading, my tastes are fairly eclectic. Have just finished "Measuring the World", which I found very tiresome and over-praised, and am currently enjoying Alan Bennett's "An Uncommon Reader". What a wonderful hymn to the joys of reading!