Hi Finn - welcome to BGO and I hope you enjoy contributing to the threads, or starting up new ones. There are a lot of threads on a lot of the authors you mention, though I notice you prefer male authors - maybe that's something BGO membership will inspire a change in!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Finn - welcome to BGO and I hope you enjoy contributing to the threads, or starting up new ones. There are a lot of threads on a lot of the authors you mention, though I notice you prefer male authors - maybe that's something BGO membership will inspire a change in!

Thanks Hazel, I appreciate the welcome. I hadnt really thought of it in that way before, but hopefully that will change...is there anyone you would recommend??

Hi Finn - and welcome. Based on the authors you listed, you might want to try Natsuo Kirino (Japanese noir) and Nicola Barker (quirky and perhaps would appeal to fans of Coupland and Iain Banks).

I realized a couple of years ago that I had a phobia of female writers and found that reading novels that were shortlisted for awards was good for breaking the taboo. It's not that I decided that I had to read female writers from a sense of duty, rather that I found there were good female writers whose works I really wouldn't want to miss out on.

Hi Finn - and welcome. Based on the authors you listed, you might want to try Natsuo Kirino (Japanese noir) and Nicola Barker (quirky and perhaps would appeal to fans of Coupland and Iain Banks).

I realized a couple of years ago that I had a phobia of female writers and found that reading novels that were shortlisted for awards was good for breaking the taboo. It's not that I decided that I had to read female writers from a sense of duty, rather that I found there were good female writers whose works I really wouldn't want to miss out on.

Hi MisterHobgoblin, thank you for responding to my post. With regard to the authors mentioned I noted that Natsuo Kirino has 3 books (Out, Grotesque and Real World)..do you have a favourite of the three??

The opposite is true for Nicola Barker...theres quite a few. Do you have a favourite of hers, or is it best to start at the beginning and work your way through them (should you enjoy them)??

Any help is much appreciated. Kind regards, Finn.

Hi Finn - welcome to here! I can't help on the recommendation front, as I reckon my tastes are somewhat different to yours - I've only read 2 books by authors you mention! I look forward to you opening my eyes to some new stuff though, and hope that you also get lots of that from us!

Welcome to BGO, Finn. From the authors you list as favourites you seem to have exquisite taste already; there are some very fine writers on there.

I had a similar revelation to Mr. HG about the gender divide of what I chose to read but unlike him I haven't done anything about it. I'm not going to force myself to read a book simply because it is by a female writer.

It is a known trend in publishing that women read both male and female authors pretty equally, but men (fewer of whom are avid readers to start with) generally have a bias to male authors in their reading choices.

Hello to eveyone,

Just a mesage to introduce myself. My name is Louise Jane and I am university student from London. I used to be a member on another online book forum which sadly closed, but I was then redirected here! I am currently reading Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson which I absolutely love at the moment. Some of my favourite authors are: Haruki Murakami, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, Jeanette Winterson. I like surreal novels and am particulary interested in Magic Realism.

Looking forward to chatting to you all

Welcome to BGO, louise_jane.

Two Murakami fans joining the site in 24 hours is A Good Thing, IMO.

Garcia Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera" has generated some debate recently. If you'd like to contribute, the thread is here, but there are plenty of other threads to choose from as well!

I also enjoy writing, both poems & novels, though mainly for my own pleasure.I love thrillers (Mary Higgins Clark, Elizabeth George, Ruth Rendell, Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell), the Harry Potter books, Bill Bryson's novels, Khaled Hosseini, Jostein Gaardner, Louis de Bernières, Maeve Binchy, most chick lit, Kate Atkinson & am starting to get into the classics, as I have North & South (Elizabeth Gaskell) & Wuthering Heights

Hi, Cootisms!

Welcome. Great list!

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

Hi everyone

I am living in Manchester. I found bookgrouponline through the culture pages of the Sunday Times a while ago.

I enjoy reading crime thrillers and my favourite author is probably P.D.James.

I will try to read anything that is recommended to me. Although I don't really have an affinity to science fiction/fantasy.

I am also a Bolton Wanderers fan.

Hi, I've just joined. This forum appears to be really well organised with sections matching my tastes and interests.

My reading interests are varied - one of my preferred contemporary writers is Cormac McCarthy, who I'd rate as one of the foremost authors in the English language. I also like James Fenimore Cooper, and historical novelists such as Henry Treece, Robert Graves, Alfred Duggan, Mary Renault, Walter D Edmonds, Kenneth Roberts and Cecelia Holland. I like some Science Ficton, including Kurt Vonnegut (especially the earlier stuff), Dune and the recent prequels, and also Venus on the Half-Shell by Kilgore Trout aka Philip José Farmer. I also devour history books, particularly about the First World War, and especially like the works of Richard Holmes, John Keegan, Ian Ousby, Steven Runciman, Gary Sheffield and Hew Strachan.

I live in the UK and love mountains, I regularly go walking in Spain and Italy.

Hi finrod and welcome

I was very interested in your post on The Road which was one of the first McCarthy's that I've read and also one of my reading highlights for the past year or so. It's an amazing book. I wasn't quite as keen on No Country for Old Men but I have a feeling there was some post-The Road disappointment in that and it's also a very good book, it's just that it had so much to live up to.

Welcome to BGO, webby, Lost Spook, Cootisms, shirleygardner, Finn, louise_jane, loobylou, and finrod. What an amazing choice of books you have listed. I'm looking forward to your comments. Lately, I haven't been here regularly but I'm always eager to come back and read what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all! Just joined last night after doing a Yahoo! search for book groups. Been wanting to do this for some time, but living in a small Midwestern US town, working several jobs, has made it hard to connect. Well organized site, lively chat, unpretentious. I did my graduate work in theatre, work in a university and teach part-time, but am by no means a literary snob. My tastes are eclectic, running from classics to fantasy/sci-fi, poetry and history/historic fiction. Thanks, and I look forward to chatting with all of you.