• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huntress, I wasn't a member a year ago so no, I'm afraid I don't know you. However I hope that I shall get to know you now you are "back in the fold". I hope your problems are on their way out, been through some stuff also so if you need to vent feel free to PM me anytime :flowers:

Hi most of you probibly wont rember me
I certainly remember you - and it's not that long ago. You were here in the spring, very active in the CYA forum, mainly.

I'm sorry you have been having problems, and I hope the improvement will continue. it's good to have you back.

Hi everyone. Just joined so I thought I'd do the polite thing and introduce myself. I'm an English student at Reading University, so as you can imagine I come into contact with a lot of different literature. Stumbled across this site by accident, but thought it could be good to hear the views people have of various book outside the classroom environment.

A warm welcome to you, Webby! You'll find that some of our most regular members are huge fans of Reading F.C., so you'll be in good company there.

I read English myself (too many years ago now! :rolleyes: ) so I'm sure you're having a great time with your course. There's a very wide range of reading interests represented here and nothing classroomy at all, so I hope discovering us turns out to be serendipitous and that you'll make us a regular haunt.

If you have any questions by all means pop back here to ask.

Welcome indeed, Webby. I can see that you have been busy! It's good to have you here and if you carry on at this rate, in a couple of weeks we won't be able to remember not having you around! ;)

Cheers for the welcomes guys. I read a lot of books and posting on here about them is a good distraction from having to do any actual work. Plus I'm an opinionated sod with plenty to say. :rolleyes:

I'm a children's librarian.

Well you'll find you're not alone there, Lost Spook. In fact, if you'd come from Glasgow I'd start to suspect a huge conspiracy since we have suspiciously large numbers in both those categories!

You're very welcome to the site and I'm sure you'll find plenty here to interest you. Have a good look around and feel free to post on any old threads too because we like to see them revived with some fresh comment. If you have any questions then do come back here to ask.

I'm a children's librarian

Could have done with you slightly earlier this week, Lost Spook, before I posted the results of the BGO Favourite Children's Author! But do have a look at the list in the Children's and Young Adult Forum and let us know your top 10, and I'll see if it would have changed the running order!

Good to have you here - slowly but surely us Children's Librarian massive will take over the world....

Hello everybody, just discovered this site through another (totally unrelated!) site & thought I should join, as I'm a prolific reader of most (possibly all) genres. I'm a displaced Brit, having lived in France for over 20 of my nearly 26 years. I started reading aged 4 and never stopped. Books were always my refuge, as I was a quiet, shy kid who wasn't very good at sport or very popular throughout my school years. I would read anything I could get my hands on at home (parents both love reading too, so not a problem there)& at school, was always begging to take more books home from school than permitted & often wanted to stay in & read at break-time rather than have to go out to the cold/wet/noisy playground. I still read pretty much anything I come across :D !I also enjoy writing, both poems & novels, though mainly for my own pleasure.I love thrillers (Mary Higgins Clark, Elizabeth George, Ruth Rendell, Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell), the Harry Potter books, Bill Bryson's novels, Khaled Hosseini, Jostein Gaardner, Louis de Bernières, Maeve Binchy, most chick lit, Kate Atkinson & am starting to get into the classics, as I have North & South (Elizabeth Gaskell) & Wuthering Heights on my bedside table. I'm a big fan of Isabel Allende & try to read her books in the original language, as it helps me keep up my language skills. Having a translation degree in French, Spanish & Italian, I tend to be really nitpicky about translated works and am good at spotting mistakes in them.I'm a massive fan of kids' books too: I think Jacqueline Wilson covers a lot of children/teen issues in a very good/helpful way and I love Roald Dahl's stories too, though it's obvious where he got his inspiration for some of the evil adulmts in his books, having read his autobiography. Adored the Christopher Paolini 'Eragon' books but there doesn't seem to be any sign of the third volume of the trilogy, unfortunately! Also think Philip Pullman's books are brilliant, as I got totally lost in Lyra's adventures and the places she visits and the people she meets.

I also love doing crosswords (cryptic & general knowledge), codewords & puns/anagrams, palindromes...

Hope this isn't too long (or too boring ;) ), but I look forward to meeting some interesting, like-minded people with whom I can discuss lots & lots & lots of books!

Welcome to BGO, Cootisms! You will indeed find a great many like-minded people on this site, as well as a few expats living in France!

You'll find threads on a number of the authors you note, including the children's books, but of course feel free to start as many new threads as you want. I look forward to getting to know you better around the site.

I'm a massive fan of kids' books too: I think Jacqueline Wilson covers a lot of children/teen issues in a very good/helpful way and I love Roald Dahl's stories too, though it's obvious where he got his inspiration for some of the evil adulmts in his books, having read his autobiography. Adored the Christopher Paolini 'Eragon' books but there doesn't seem to be any sign of the third volume of the trilogy, unfortunately! Also think Philip Pullman's books are brilliant, as I got totally lost in Lyra's adventures and the places she visits and the people she meets.
Welcome to BGO, Cootisms - according to a message on Paolini's website, Book 3 will be published next September/October time. Unfortunately, it won't be the end of the series - that will come in Book 4 of the now renamed "Inheritance Cycle".

Do have a poke around the Children's and Young Adult forum and add your comments, as I think we have a thread on nearly everything you mention in your "Dark Red" paragraph!

Hi

I'm Shirley I'm a student at nottingham trent uni, studying to be a secondary school teacher of ICT. Alot of the books i read lately relate to my course and sadly i dont get enough time at the moment to read what i enjoy reading.

I joined BGO as i did a search online to find a local book group, figured it might inpire me to widen my reading horizons, however i remembered that i am rather busy and wouldn't make time to go spend an evening chatting, when i should be planning lessons. So that brought me onto this online book group, allowing me to read and post at my leisure.

I enjoy reading a variety of books, mainly fiction, but have only really scratched the surface, like many i enjoy reading books with a romantic flavour, I discovered Little Black Dress books but they can be hit and miss, I found 1 of Sophie Kinsella's books good, the others were too far fetched. I chose to read some classics last year and enjoyed Jane Austen. As well as that i enjoyed Sidney Sheldon books a few years ago, but after a few found the plots rather samey, but i like a good crime/thriller novel, so if anyone can recommend a novel/novelist of a similar vein that'd be great.

Hi there, Shirley. I welcomed you elsewhere, but will do so again formally here. It's good to have you with us.

I joined BGO as i did a search online to find a local book group, figured it might inpire me to widen my reading horizons, however i remembered that i am rather busy and wouldn't make time to go spend an evening chatting, when i should be planning lessons. So that brought me onto this online book group, allowing me to read and post at my leisure.

That's the beauty of BGO, although you may start to find that you can spend too much time chatting here, rather than planning lessons...

You'll also find plenty of those suggestions you are after, many of which may also seem more appealing than lesson plans!

I haven't read any Sydney Sheldon, so I can't suggest anything personally, but I am sure there will be someone who can!

Just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself a little. My name is Finn and I currently live in Essex. I've been looking to join a book-group for a little while and luckily enough managed to come across the BGO, whilst doing a search on google. Having had a quick look through the site it looks quite interesting and a good place to discuss books people are currently reading and to try and get recommendations for the future.

I like the following authors: Ian McEwan, Iain Banks, Paul Auster, Haruki Murakami, Jay Mcinerney, Philip Roth, Douglas Coupland, Don Delillo, Henning Menkell (particularly the Inspector Wallender series), Albert Camus, Brett Easton Ellis, Thomas Harris, J. G. Ballard, Joseph Heller and quite a few others. Of late, I seem to be going through a lot of autobiographies (particularly about cooking (i.e. by Alan Bourdain, Marco Pierre White etc) and sport (football) related i.e. Jose Mourinho, Alan Brazil, Paul McGrath, Eric Cantona, Andy Gray etc.

I look forward to posting on the site.