Hi everyone. I'm Jo, and I live near Derry in Northern Ireland. I am a Primary School teacher (my pupils are aged 6-7, and in my 21 and a bit years of teaching, I've always taught in the 4-7 age bracket).

I did my degree at the University of Edinburgh many years ago, and I studied German and English, so I have a literary background. Studying books put me off them for a while, though!

My love of reading began when I was a very small child, and during my early childhood I was thoroughly captivated by Enid Blyton books. I know they're very un-PC these days, but they got me started, so I will not knock them. I moved on to the Anne of Green Gables series, The Chalet School books, Sue Barton nursing books, and the normal children's classics. Walter Macken's "The Flight of the Doves" is the only book I remember a teacher reading to our class, and it was a huge favourite of mine.

I don't read much fiction for older children these days, but I love picture books, and Francesca Simons's Horrid Henry books are much beloved by the age group I teach.

I often reread my childhood favourites, but do love reading adult books too. My favourite author is Jane Austen, but I read mostly contemporary authors these days. I love "Eureka Street" by Robert McLiam Wilson, as it is about my home city of Belfast, and manages to be exciting and poetic at the same time. I'd also recommend "If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things" by John McGregor.

Sorry - I do go on a bit at the best of times!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jo - I've welcomed you already, but I'll do it again here! It's great to have you on-board!

I'm sure you are going to find loads to discuss with us (including your highly recommended If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things), and I'm thrilled that you have found your way into the Children's and Young Adult Forum already.

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Hi Jo - especially welcome if you are a reader of Norn Irn fiction. I have happy associations with Belfast and read far more Northern Ireland fiction than is good for me. Eureka Street is a goodie - did you watch the TV adaptation? I'd also recommend Glenn Patterson, Bernard MacLaverty and David Park as good examples of the stuff. Did you now that Lionel Shriver lived in Belfast for a while and did a Troubles novel called Ordinary Decent Criminals?

Hi everyone! New to this area and just wanted to introduce myself. My Name is Cindy and I am from Connecticut.

I read, read, read. I also sell alot of books on Amazon. My favorite genre is Urban Fantasy. Some of my favorite authors in that genre are Neil Gaiman, Emma Bull, Terry Brooks, Susan Cooper, Charles de Lint, Jasper Fforde,Justine Larbalsiter, Simon Green I could go on forever.

Right now I am reading Darkness Falls which is a book I won and have been asked to Review. Suspense thriller type book, very good.

Would love to meet some of you all and chat about all kinds of books.

Cindy :)

Hi Jo!

As a child, I read many of the same books as you - not much Enid Blyton (apart from the Famous Five) but I was fascinated by the Sue Barton when I was about ten or so. There's one line from the first book in that series that I still remember, something about how leaving home to study doesn't feel like going off into the world, it just feels like going somewhere on a train. I don't know why I remember it, though! And I loved Anne of Green Gables and all L.M. Montgomery's books, (especially the Emily ones) even more. My other favourite series was the Little House on the Prarie books. I always imagined sharing these with a child of my own one day, but mine are all boys.

And hi Cindy :) The only one of the authors you've mentioned that I've read is Jasper Ford, and only one of his (the absurd crime novel where the villain has kidnapped Dickens characters and goes into the text of Jane Eyre

to kidnap her as well) although I have meant to go back for more, because that was so funny.

Nice to meet you both :)

Welcome to canesl59/Cindy and rebel/Jo - hope you settle in quickly and add to the discussions on-board. Please feel free to drag up any old threads too if they take your fancy, we always like fresh opinions and new discussion points.

I'm Miriam. Mister Hobgoblin pointed me towards this site. I live in London, spending a long time everyday commuting along the Central Line and subsequently read a lot. I'm currently reading Douglas Coupland's The Gum Thief. What else? I'm Irish. I love to travel. I'm in the middle of renovating a victorian house that may cause me to go bankrupt. I love music and spend far too much money on cds and going to gigs. So hello!

Welcome Miriam, any friend of Mister HG is a friend...

Wot she said! ;)

You're very welcome here, Miriam. You'll find plenty of inspiration for reads to fill that long commute and I do wish you well with the house. You know it's something that's always appealed to me, but I've never been brave enough to go for it! You have my admiration.

Thanks for all the lovely welcomes, and hi to all the other new members. It seems like a fascinating site, and I just wish I had more free time at the moment to get stuck in to lots of the recommended books, and to join in with plenty of discussions!

In reply to a couple of questions - I do indeed enjoy "Norn Irn" fiction. Glenn Patterson is a bit of a hero of mine. I did see the tv adaptation of Eureka Street, and I thought Jake and Chuckie were bang on. Some aspects of the book - inevitably the shocking section in the middle (I won't spoil it for anyone) were not as powerful as the book, though.

As for German authors. *ahem*... I liked Thomas Mann a lot when I was a student, and I did a course on authors of the DDR, which was my favourite part of my literature studies. Can't remember much about it all now, though, and although I have kept all the German books, I have never opened them again.

Kimberley - it's nice to "meet" someone else who loved the Sud Barton books. I reread all my Chalet School books during the summer holidays, and then moved on to Sue Barton. I got totally obsessed by getting through them all! I'm going to start on the Anne books during the Christmas holidays, I think. I last read them about 15 years ago.

Welcome polly peachum (my birthday is the same day as yours), Lalaine (I do have a friend from the Philippines who left last year, she was very nice), nightmare (I have a friend in Istanbul and loved the city when I visited it a couple of years ago), newera87, Heather, spindrift, laura0141, cc64, brummiebird, nonsuch, Hans Von Bohr (you don’t happen to be from the same country as I am or live in the same one I live in at the moment?), hardboiledmen, vald, jfp, Lovesreading07, belfastchap, rebel (Thomas Mann is one of my favourite German authors – I am German), canesl59, cosmiq, Miriam.

welcomesign.gif

Having been a member for a few years, now, I've already done this but think that all trace, along with most of my posts, was lost during the Great Black Thursday Book Group Crash, so here I go again.

Firstly, I'm an expat Englishman living in Paris. I read to travel through time, to live other people's lives, to visit other countries and even other solar systems. Reading is one of few activities that systematically cuts me off from the real world, for which I am sometimes eternally grateful.

I like all types of books and genres although, like most preople, having a taxing job, I tend to read books that aren't too heavy but rather those that are easy to read but have complex undertones. I think that Dickens falls into this category. Apart from the Dickens, Hardy and The Poet, I like Tim Lott and Nick Hornby, to name but a few.

I'm a slow reader and the more that I enjoy a novel, the slower I'll tend to read it, savouring every word. I also enjoy reading books at the same time as family and friends, Our Man in Havana style, in order to have long and regular discussions about our impressions.

Anyway, to all those that have joined since my absence: welcome; and to those who I know already: hello again, the Prodigal Subscriber is back!

Phoebus

Anyway, to all those that have joined since my absence: welcome; and to those who I know already: hello again, the Prodigal Subscriber is back!

We did have a fatted calf somewhere, but in the meantime a very warm welcome back, Phoebus! I'm also a book savourer - indeed I'm always a little suspicious of people who crash through books: I feel they can only catch the flavour, not the measure of them.

I hope you'll be able to stay with us on a regular basis now.

Welcome to all our recent newbies. It is great to have so many join our family.

And a big welcome back to Momo and Phoebus. :D I know you've only been away a few weeks Momo, but it seems longer. I'm sure you've been away much longer Phoebus; I have missed seeing your postings, especially your comments on Dickens.