Hello, Hans.

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you'll find others happy to discuss your favourites.

Might I ask where you're living? Your name obviously suggests you might not be British (as most of our members are) - it's always nice to know if another country can be added to the BGO world map!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Grammath. Are you receiving me? Nonsuch here. I found the Leader biography of Amis very light reading for such a heavy book. It is earnest, scholarly and detailed - ideal for an Amis addict, but not so much for the casual reader. Leader quotes extensively from just about everyone - letters, diaries etc and gives 1001 potted biographies of the major players in the Amis saga from AYM to curmudgeonly Old'un. So you go to Festivals! Not sure I could face those circuses, the fanfare, the hawkers, the clowns etc. In 2997 my faves have been Mrs Dalloway, Proust's The Captive and Sodom & Gomorrah, Rose Tremain - Music & Silence, Anne Tyler - Back When We Were Grown Ups (not so much her latest one about the Korean kids in USA), Alan Benett's Untold Stories, Dakins's The God Delusion, Banville's The Sea.

Hi, nonsuch, receiving you loud and clear, and welcome to BGO again.

NB for everyone else: see the "Lucky Jim" thread in 20th century fiction to contextualise the discussion around Zachary Leader's biography of Kinsgley Amis.

Wow - I'm clearly not visiting enough at the moment by the swathes of new members sweeping in in my absence. Here goes:

MikeMK1 (there's nothing wrong with MK - I used to have an MK postcode, although mine was into double digits!), polly peachum (as you have gone first, I will say it too - "My name is Flingo, and I am a librarian"), Lalaine-katherine, nightmare-dilara, newera87-todd, Heather, spindrift, laura0141, cc64, brummiebird-lisa, Hans VonBohr, hardnboiledmen-guy:

WELCOME!!!

I'd just like to say hi. I found the site through browsing for book groups. I'm a Shakespeare and Classics fan, but am currently reading a number of teenage books, a few by Marcus Sedgwick, (I'm a school librarian), Atonement by Ian McEwan, and The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox. I'm looking forward to getting some recommendations for great books and chatting online about them.

Hi vlad, welcome to BGO. Lots of librarians here to keep you company. Please feel free to post on anything and everything. I read The Meaning Of Night earlier in the year but still haven't quite work out what I thought of it. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts when you are finished.

Welcome to BGO Vald. Have a browse around and you will find threads about a number of the books and authors that you mention. Feel free to start joining in and digging up old threads if you want to add to the discussion.

Hello everybody.

I officially registered four days ago, but got drawn to the word-association threads before I even introduced myself to anybody; my having this kind of priority possibly gives you some significant information about me already...

"jfp" is derived from "John from Paris", which was originally who I was on the 2006 Booker Prize thread. It's not actually entirely appropriate: I'm not from Paris (I was born and raised in West Yorkshire), but I've lived here continuously since early 1985.

I teach English lang (fairly advanced - French postgraduate qualifications in linguistics) and lit (pretty basic...) in the lower echelons of higher education here.

Back in the late seventies I did a degree in French and German at the University of Birmingham; I subsequently also spent one year pretending to do a PhD in French literature there; this was when I discovered how reading one thing/writer led to reading another thing/writer, and led farther and farther away from the constraints of academic research. I had the decency to officially drop out after only nine months...

My reading tends to focus on contemporary literature in English and French; I have various stuff on amazon.co.uk and elsewhere, some of which I will get around to transferring here.

My other major interest is music; I sing in the regional classical choir here ("semi-professional", i.e. people pay to come to our concerts, but I don't get paid a single euro-cent...), and I play the piano - this, at the moment, mainly involves accompanying singing friends (harder than it sounds/looks...)

This is too long. Sorry. I look forward to being here.

One more thing: I was introduced to this site by Kimberley, who is a weird and wonderful Australian lady... :flowers:

Hi everyone - especially jfp whom I first met on the 2006 Booker Forum.

Vald and Lipstick Librarian, being school librarians, remind me of the weirdest public library I have ever come across. On Linaclete (Isle of Benbecula), there was supposed to be a good public library. I drove through Linaclete a couple of times (a hotel, some public buildings and a few houses) and couldn't see any signs. Eventually I found someone to ask and they pointed vaguely at the school. I looked for a library, but didn't find one so I asked at the school reception. They directed me down a couple of corridors - and behold! - the school library and the public library were one and the same.

Hello everyone. Belatedly posting something on here to give you a bit of background on myself. I'm interested in all sorts of books. In fiction, acccessible literary fiction like Edward St Aubyn's Some Hope or anything by Gordon Burn. I also like well written genre fiction. For thrillers and crime I generally like it hardboiled and noir, so Chandler, Goodis, Woolrich and Thompson would be the historic favourites. Modern stars would be James Ellroy (though he's gone off the boil of late) and David Peace (who seems to be getting better and better). In science fiction I really like the two Scottish mates, Ian M Banks and Ken MacLeod. I'm a fan of J G Ballard and Iain Sinclair. I'm also interested in politics and history. As you can see, it's a quite a hotchpotch. Similarly eclectic tastes in film, television and radio, too!

Looking forward to sharing opinions on these with you, and hearing your thoughts.

Oh goody, lots of new people to welcome.

Hello to:nonsuch; Hans VonBohr; hardboiledmen; vald; jfp; Lovesreading07 and belfastchap. You are all very welcome here, and I look forward to finding out more about you and the books you read as you post in the various forums.

Enjoy your exploration of the board, I hope you will all soon feel comfortable here.

Consider yourselves, as they say, at home :D

Welcome indeed all:

Vald - I'm another librarian, although I deal with your customers in relation to public libraries - love to hear some of your thoughts on Sedgwick, we've got threads for a couple in the Children's and Young Adult Forum.

jfp-John from Paris - now it all makes sense - I was wondering how I was going to pronounce that (jif-pe?)

lovesreading07 - a quick look at all your posts shows that you did introduce yourself, although it was rather a lot of days ago - in April! Welcome back, though!

belfastchap - "eclectic tastes" - you'll fit right in!!

A very warm welcome to one and all! This is proving to be an exciting time for the site with plenty of new developments and clearly an excellent set of very interesting new members. I look forward to getting to know all of you better in conversations around the site and if you have any questions do pop back here to ask!

We pride ourselves on being one of the friendliest forums on the net and we're very pleased to have you all on board!