Introduce Yourself

Bill

Hello, I'm new to the forum. It looks like a great community and I can't wait to contribute. So, to start off I'll tell the world that is the Internet a little bit about myself. My name is Todd, and I'm a college student at Drake University

in Des Moines, Iowa. I'm studying actuarial science, finance, and quantitative economics. I know, that's generally not what you would expect from an avid reader. I have many interests that primarily lend themselves to sports, reading, and politics. My reading interests are quite diversified, so I'll probably end up contributing to most of the available forums, so I hope to see all of you around. I can only hope not to be too blunt or opinionated to turn you off. ;)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the group, newera87! It's good to hear that you have diverse reading tastes - you'll find there are a lot of areas where you can contribute.

Don't worry about being opinionated: it's divergent opinions that get discussion going and so long as everyone is polite and respects the right of others to think differently then we can enjoy really constructive debates.

I look forward to reading more of your thoughts around the board!

I've always loved poetry and know a lot by heart, but no one else I know feels the same, no matter how much they read. It suddenly occurred to me to try the Internet, and I just Googled until I found this site. Hooray! As well as poetry I read 19th century novels, biographies, letters and diaries, detective stories and fantasy. I belong to a book club, but we mostly read modern novels, which I don't often like. I also love singing, especially in parts, and belong to a small choir.

Greetings.

I get most of my reading suggestions online and make most of my book purchases that way too. That doesn't always work as there is nothing quite like having a book in your hand to know whether or not it appeals. However, I thought this might be a good place to help me refine my choices as well as being able to join in with some of the discussions.

By way of introduction, maybe I'll just mention which books have stood out for me this year. Top of the list is The Lizard Cage by Karen Connolly which is beautifully and poetically written and The Road by Cormac McCarthy which stayed with me for weeks after reading it.

Hello

This forum was suggested to my by a friend - rubybluelady, although I'm not sure if that's the name she's using here.

My name's Laura, I'm 34 and live in Glasgow, Scotland with Sammy-cat and foster-cats Duke and Monty. I'm unable to do paid work for health reasons so I'm a volunteer with Cats Protection instead.

I love, love, love reading! (And knitting and cooking.) My idea day involves reading a book from start to finish, no housework, plenty to eat and a cat or two to keep me company with the addition of a hand-knitted blankie if the weather's cold.

What do I like to read? Well, I go through phases. Basically, so long a it won't give me nightmares, I'll read it. At the moment I'm reading Stargazing by Peter Hill, Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey and a little Collins Gem Guide to Meditation. A mixed bag, indeed.

Looking forward to finding my way around here ...

Laura

Hi Laura! Great to have you with us, and yes, rubybluelady uses that name here.

We now have so many Scottish members - especially from Glasgow - that I'm starting to fear a secret conspiracy! ;)

I think your ideal day would be shared by many of us, though in mine the cats would be replaced by a tired-out dog snoozing off his walk whilst I read quietly!

There's plenty here that should keep you interested and hopefully not too many books that might give you nightmares. (Mind you, some members did mention the latest books by Jordan and Kerry Katona recently and that was enough to give me a sleepless night...)

Any questions then do come back here to ask!

Hello everyone!

I stumbled over this site when searching for book clubs-

Currently I have several piles of books littering various rooms in my house. I am now reading The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by McCullers and The Assault on Reason by Gore.

My most beloved authors include Ishiguro, Ondaatje, Eco, Bulgakov, Marquez- and poets, Yeats, Millay and Cohen.

Looking forward to hearing all your views,

I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I live just outside Birmingham - although I am a Brummie through and through. I am married and have 3 children. I came across this site from a link posted on ReaditSwapit forums.

I enjoy cardmaking, scrapbooking, cross-stitch, reading and writing. I have 30k of a chick-lit novel sitting in a box somewhere in the loft that I must finish one day....lol

I enjoy reading anything with a good story. Some of my favourite reads are Janet Evanovich, Karin Slaughter, Harlen Coben, Mark Billingham, Sophie Kinsella.....My favourite books as a child were The Chronicles of Narnia and I bought myself a set as an adult and vow to re-read them one day.

Currently reading: The Story of Us - Marcia Preston

Looking forward to participating when I can. Good to meet you all.

Lisa

Welcome to another pageful of new members!

Spindrift, you'll find that your credit card will need locking away even more securely once you have settled in! Temptations abound here - but enjoy indulging ;)

Laura0141 - reading, knitting, cooking and cats ? You sound like a girl after my own heart!

cc64, another reader who enjoys poetry is always welcome. I look forward to 'meeting' you in the poetry forum

brummiebird - I see from another thread that you are currently living 'outside Dudley'. As well as being an ex-Brummie myself, I have connections in the Dudley area. One of which is my brother who lives in the village where they put the pig on the wall to watch the band go by ;)

I look forward to exchanging ideas with all of you!

We are welcoming a lot of new members at the moment, so if you have just joined, why not introduce yourself here? Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like reading, and if you have any questions about the site, ask away.

I'm sure our existing members will want to wish you all a warm welcome, and will be happy to answer any queries. Yes, it is a large site, with lots of forums, but it doesn't take long to find your way around. And it means there's a lot there to get your teeth into.

Hello Grammath. Are you receiving me? Nonsuch here. I found the Leader biography of Amis very light reading for such a heavy book. It is earnest, scholarly and detailed - ideal for an Amis addict, but not so much for the casual reader. Leader quotes extensively from just about everyone - letters, diaries etc and gives 1001 potted biographies of the major players in the Amis saga from AYM to curmudgeonly Old'un. So you go to Festivals! Not sure I could face those circuses, the fanfare, the hawkers, the clowns etc. In 2997 my faves have been Mrs Dalloway, Proust's The Captive and Sodom & Gomorrah, Rose Tremain - Music & Silence, Anne Tyler - Back When We Were Grown Ups (not so much her latest one about the Korean kids in USA), Alan Benett's Untold Stories, Dakins's The God Delusion, Banville's The Sea.