Hi everyone

My name is Mike and I live in Milton Keynes (no giggling at the back), hence the name.

Not surprisingly I love reading and am currently roaring my way through Atonement, which is great stuff. I've got The Book of Dave and a couple of Booker shortlisters lined up on my bedside cabinet for later.

I'll read just about anything, and tend to alternate between new reads and re-reads, with a couple of classics thrown in now and then. I also enjoy French and Spanish literature, which I am lucky enough to be able to read in the original (with a large dictionary to hand and a fair wind behind me).

I look forward to chatting to you all in the future!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome MikeMk1, to BGO - hope you settle in quickly and enjoy yourself. Please feel free to drag up any threads you wish - it's always nice to get new opinions and ideas.

Welcome to all the recent newbies.

A very warm welcome to you, MikeMk1!

If you reckon Atonement is great stuff then you're clearly a man of taste! ;)

You'll see when you're done that there's a thread on it with many contributions so I hope you'll add your thoughts there. The Book of Dave has also garnered some interesting opinions!

If you read just about anything then you'll be pleased to find that there are threads on just about anything here! Have a good look around, revive any old threads that take your interest and we all look forward to reading your thoughts on a diversity of books. Pop back here and ask if you have any questions!

(I used to live near Milton Keynes, so no giggling here! ;) )

Welcome to BGO haileykench, Jeeves and MikeMK1, I'm sure you all will find something to your taste - as we all have.

BTW, I have never been to MK but I didn't live too far from it, so I think I know why we're supposed to giggle - or not. Anyway, this introduction shows us that we'll have a lot of fun with you, Mike. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

I'm not sure why I was so defensive about Milton Keynes, but I think I blame Noel Edmonds (who constantly derided the place for having too many roundabouts, too many dual carriageways, too many shops, and too little soul.)

Mind you, why should anyone worry what someone says who used to hang around with a large pink rubber freak?

Hi,

I joined today, after reading an article about the group in New Books Mag. I've been an avid reader since childhood, never without a book.

I'm a Librarian in Scotland and I've just finished Lost in the forest by Sue Miller. I picked it for one of the library reading groups and we'll be discussing it at our next meeting. This was the first title I've read by this author and I liked it a lot.I'm just starting The Wilde women by Paula Wall, which like her earlier book, The Rock Orchard, looks to be dark and funny.

This looks like a fantastic website and I'm just finding my way around. i look forward to plenty of interesting discussions.

Polly

Hi, Polly. Welcome to BGO.

Enjoy exploring the site, and join in any of the threads that interest you. Feel free to start new topics for discussion if you can't find ones on the subjects you are wanting to talk about.

I look forward to 'meeting' you around the various forums.

Guest Lalaine

Hello, everyone. I'm Katherine and I'm new here. Mmm, what can I tell about myself? Well, we have one thing in common: reading, of course. I actually read any genres of books, yes, including textbooks. But some are surely outstanding. ;)

Welcome to the group, Katherine! I don't think we've had anyone join us from the Philippines before so that's another flag in the BGO world map!

If you read many genres of books then you'll find plenty of interest here. I look forward to seeing more of you around the board!

Hi dilara! You're very welcome to the group - presumably that was Newbooks Magazine? I hope we'll be useful to you too. If you have any questions do come back to this thread and ask, but in the meantime what are your tastes in books - any favourite authors?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm planning the 2008 reads for the library book groups and this site is full of great ideas. We may steer clear of the Booker winner though.

Many would think you wise for this decision, me included! Welcome on board.

Guest Lalaine

Really? So, am I the first one to come from Philippines? Anyway, I read books from Fantasy to thriller to drama and children's books, anything. I found this site by browsing the web. I was really planning to join a forum about books and I know this one is really going to help me. :dance::dance: And it's really great to have new friends.