Thanks for the words of welcome - I promise I'll slow down as I'll soon run out of reviews to import. But I have offered brand new ones on three threads. :)

Just one question - is there any way to turn off the links to titles in Amazon that just happen to be the same as words in the text of messages?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all. I first discovered this site when I was browsing the forums on UK book swapping site ReadItSwapIt & saw a link to BookGroupOnline in the signature of a user called megustaleer. Clicked on it & have been browsed the forums (lurking) for awhile & have now eventually got round to registering.

My name is Karl, I'm from Sheffield & particularly like cheap mass market paperback thrillers, especially if bought for less than £1 from a charity shop. If you click either of the two links in my sig you'll see i have a tag called 'ten bob book', they're the ones I've picked up cheap as chips. Shopping for books that way is bit of pot luck, you have to take what's available, but because I'm only forking out 50p it does mean I have taken a few 'risks' & bought books by authors I've never heard off or not considered reading before. Got myself a few crackin' reads doing that.

One in particular springs to mind. Picked up Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield, a book about the battle of Thermopylae & the stand of 300 Spartans & their allies, for less than a quid. Immensely enjoyable book & it has led to a new interest in historical fiction, a genre I'd not read before. I am now devouring all sorts of books about ancient greeks, celts, saxons, romans, mongol hordes & aztecs.

I also buy up any book I can about Sheffield Utd, club histories, player biographies, fans anthologies, owt at all. Most recently read Neil Warnock's autobiography, marginally interesting, especially the stuff written about his playing days & early managerial career but reads like it's been written by a tabloid journalist .. oh hang on ... ummmm! Looking forward to reading the recently published biography on Jimmy Hagan. The Blades greatest ever player & also Benfica's most successful manager.

Other interests include books by & about the classical marxists. Marx himself, Engels, Lenin & Trotsky.

Some of my favourite authors are (in no particular order). Clive Barker, Conn Iggulden, Steven Pressfield, Bernard Cornwell, Peter F Hamilton, Iain M Banks, Richard K Morgan, Manda Scott, Ken Follett, Harry Turtledove.

Just one question - is there any way to turn off the links to titles in Amazon that just happen to be the same as words in the text of messages?

I'm afraid not. They are a mixed blessing, but hopefully help bring some extra revenue to the site, which Bill runs at a loss. They can be a bit annoying, though, I agree. One of my own posts was rather railroaded by amusement as the links to Daiper Dave appeared... :rolleyes:

Hi, escafeld. I'm glad you followed my link over here, and have enjoyed what you have seen of the place. I look forward to seeing you popping up on the various threads and joining in the discussions.

Beware of the dangers of your ten-bob book habit...the accumulation of charity shop books can take over your entire home, as I know to my cost :rolleyes:

MisterHobgoblin, those Amazon links are a pain at first, but I find that I hardly notice them now. You'll learn to tell which ones are likely to be 'real' links included by the poster, and a quick 'hover' soon reveals the Amazon ones.

Sometimes it is fun to try and figure how on earth Amazon have chosen a particular link - some are really strange :rolleyes:

Hi, my name is Nik. I'm new to the forum. I love reading and discussing books, but not too many of my friends and family are into the same books that I am so I'm looking for another outlet for discussion. I enjoy many different kinds of books, but especially those about places I'll probably never go or times that I obviously will never live in. My favorite book to date is James Clavell's Shogun. Long, but an incredible book. I'm currently reading Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm a teacher, not reading though, I teach high school math. During the school year it's a little tougher to find good, quality time to read, but I manage. Many of my students are readers, so I often recommend books and also take their recommendations.

Nice to meet all of you and hope to chat with some of you in the future.

Welcome to BGO, nallison. I know there are Vonnegut fans here, so you are bound to find someone who shares your taste in books.

Enjoy exploring the forums, and join in any discussion that appeals to you. Don't worry about resurrecting old threads, there are always new folk coming along who won't have seen them before, and feel free to start threads on subjects that you can't find being elsewhere on the board - someone will be along in a while to add their thoughts to yours.

Welcome everyone, I know you have been welcomed by quite a few people, I'd just like to join the greetings.

Everyman, I enjoy classic fiction, as well, and like Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Mann especially. Although I read a lot of current fiction, I also like your statement to catch it when it shows its staying power. Seems romantic, living on an island with no bridge, though I'm not sure it would be something for me. I'm sure you get a lot of reading done that way. :D

A hearty welcome to you too, Scarlett, my son is eighteen, so I know how it is. I was reintroduced to children's books through my children and I agree, a lot of them are very interesting for everyone. I also really like Maya Angelou

escafeld, you seem to share your reading taste with my husband,

Bernard Cornwell is one of his favourite authors.

MisterHobgoblin and nallison, welcome to you, too, it's great to have you around.

Welcome to BGO, nallison. I know there are Vonnegut fans here, so you are bound to find someone who shares your taste in books.

That would be me, then. :P

Welcome, Nik/nallison, and everyone else.

Hi Everybody!

My names Hayley and im 19 from London, UK. I love talking about books I have read or currently reading and came across this gem of a website today. Thanks for welcoming me by the way.

My tastes include crime thrillers, horrors and fantasy books. I cant stand autobiographys. I just cannot get into them. I liek to read a book and drift away into another world and lose myself. When I read autobiographys it jsut doesnt seem to engage me like fiction.

I look forward to many more posts on here! :)

Hi Hayley, Welcome to BGO.

I'm glad you think the site is a 'gem'. Do enjoy exploring the forums, and add your thoughts to any thread that interests you - or start a new one if there's nothing here already. You'll find lots of members willing to discuss horror, fantasy and crime thrillers with you, and to introduce you to new books and authors.

I enjoy many different kinds of books, but especially those about places I'll probably never go or times that I obviously will never live in.

Me too, Nik - I've noticed that many of my favourite books are set in exotic locations.

Welcome to BGO! There are a few of us teachers here. Good to hear about a maths teacher recommending books!

Hello fellow book enthusiasts :)

I am delighted that I have found this wonderful forum. I have been an avid reader all of my life and have rather belatedly "discovered" some of the classics, in particular, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. I am currently reading "A Tale of Two Cities".

I have recently enrolled on a distance learning course with Exeter University titled "Novels of the 1940s" which I am hoping will deepen my appreciation of the authors and books of that era.

As you may guess from my "name" I am a big fan of PG Wodehouse. Other favourite authors include: Tolkien; Nick Hornby; Kathy Reichs; Bronte; and many more.

I look forward to meeting some of you on the forum.

Always happy to talk Wodehouse, Grammath. Are you a fan?

I am, but not nearly as well read as I'd like to be, too many other favourite authors to distract me. We do have a Wodehouse appreciation thread that's been dormant for about 18 months, but don't let that stop you posting any thoughts you have about PG on it.

Welcome indeed to all the new members since my last visit nearly 2 weeks ago:

rubybluelady, Colin Phillips, Everyman, Scarlett, MisterHobgoblin, escafeld-Karl, nallison-Nik, hayleykench and Jeeves.

Hope I haven't missed anyone!!