Im Very Sorry If Me Saying I Am The Owner Of This Book Was Misleading In Any Way ...... It Was Not Meant To Be As I Have Already Explained ..... I Am The Author Of This Book ... It Is A Great Book And I Want People To Read It ... This Being My Reason For Being Here .... I Meant No Offence .... Nor Did I Mean To 'pull The Wool Over Anyones Eyes' ... I Am Totally Insulted By All The Emails I Have Received When All I Done Was Said I Owned This Book ... Im Scottish We Talk Different Up Here ... I Wrote This Book I Am The Author I Own The Rights To This Book This Is My Book ... A Great Book Which Has Great Reviews So Far ... Availalbe On Amazon Books ... Authorhouse Books .... And Over 20000 Retailers All Over The World ... Maybe You Should Take A Look You Might Fancy Reading It You Never Know.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dippy, I think you need to understand that people on forums like this feel as protective of their board as you do about your book and since we have had incidents of authors pretending to be readers it is to be expected that we're a little suspicious. As Jen has pointed out, your unusual expression did confuse the issue somewhat, but Megustaleer asked politely for clarification.

I would be very surprised if regular members here had sent you insulting e-mails, but if so I would appreciate your sending me a personal message with any details of unreasonable comments.

You mis-typed your link to Authorhouse, which doesn't work. Below is the link directly to your book's page on the site.

Him

Welcome to BGO, Sharan aka the shazzaroo. It's nice to have you here. The books you mentioned have been read by many of us and we really enjoy talking about them. Browse in the forum and let us know what you think.

but i understand if this site is not all about telling people about good books to read and i wont post anything else ... sorry
Welcome to you, too, dippy. This website is about telling people about good books, we inform each other all the time if we read a good book. And there are some authors among us who tell us when they publish a new book and a few of us read it and then pass it on. This is a friendly circle where we exchange ideas about books - but in all honesty. When I went through this site and saw your posting, I thought immediately, that's someone trying to promote his own book without telling us. It has happened before and we are getting quite sensitive about it.

If you want to tell us more about your book, go to the respective forum and start a thread. We're all ears.

I live in Wiltshire, UK with my husband, six cats and two dogs. I'm 44 and a wheelchair user and spend a lot of time reading. I'm trying to read 100 books this year and am on number 72. I spend most of my time at bookcrossing.com as I'm completely hooked LOL. I get given a lot of books because people know I 'recycle' them through bookcrossing. so I'm never short of something to read.

I'm trying to work out how to use this website so forgive me if I made a mistake.

rubybluelady

A very warm welcome to you, rubybluelady, and thanks as well for subscribing before even making your first post! That's impressive commitment!

It's looking promising for your 100-book target and you won't be short of suggestions for others to make up the number here!

It takes a while to find your way around but if you've got any questions do please post them here. You'll find we're a varied and friendly bunch and I hope you enjoy it here as much as the rest of us.

You've joined just in time for our prize competition which ends this Friday, so if you fancy a try just click here.

Hi rubybluelady and welcome on board. Looking forward to hearing about those 100 books, I'm sure we've threads on some of them and please start lots more. Just wanted to tell you that the URL in your profile needs a www. at the start to work.

Hi! Joined yesterday.

I was an avid reader up until my mid-forties (I'm in my early-sixties now :( ) when I became self-employed. Due to the stress and worries, I then lost the ability to read a book, I couldn't concentrate. I am now fully retired and I am glad to say I am reading books again.

I have a fairly broad taste in reading, fact and fiction, but I especially like crime thrillers, political thrillers and all things similar.

I am glad I have found this forum and I hope to find out about authors I have yet to read and perhaps I can point others in the direction of one's they haven't read.

Colin

I am glad I have found this forum and I hope to find out about authors I have yet to read and perhaps I can point others in the direction of one's they haven't read.

Hi Colin, welcome to BGO and welcome back to the world of reading - you must be pleased to have rediscovered your 'old friend'! From you comment (above) I can see that you're going to fit in just fine here.

Welcome rubybluelady and Colin, it's nice to have you here. There are many different kind of readers in our online book club and we have so many varieties of tastes, I'm sure you will find a lot of suggestions. It's easy to get acquainted with all of us, just surf through the threads. And don't be shy to bring up old ones, we love that.

Just wanted to tell you that the URL in your profile needs a www. at the start to work.

Ok, I'll change it. I've just finished book 75, only 25 to go LOL. The urge to read 100 is spurred on mostly by the fact that I simply have hundreds of books in my house and not enough shelf space to keep them on (I will pass on most of the books I've read to other bookcrossers). I joined bookcrossing under the false impression that it was a way of distributing my books to others, all that's happened is I've gathered a lot more to me :)

I joined bookcrossing under the false impression that it was a way of distributing my books to others, all that's happened is I've gathered a lot more to me :)
I have to say the same thing happened to me when I joined BC. I meet with some fellow Bookcrossers once a month and seem to turn up at the meetings with 3 books and come home with 5 :rolleyes:

Welcome to BGO Rubybluelady :flowers:

I discovered this site through a post on one of the Barnes and Noble Book Club forums. It feels like a friendly place to sit down in easy chairs and talk books.

Most of my reading is in books published pre-WWI, except for nonfiction in which I try to keep fairly current and a few later writers including Hemingway and Faulkner. I have two primary passions, one for the classical Greek and Latin writers, from Homer through Aquinas (they don't at first glance seem well represented here; have I missed their area?) and the other for 16th through 19th English fiction, poetry, drama, essays, and letters. But those tastes aren't exclusive; I have read many of the traditional classics from other cultures (Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Cervantes, Rabelais, Mann, Nietzsche, Voltaire, Kant, et. al). I read very little modern fiction; I figure it it's worth reading I'll catch it when it shows its staying power, and if it disappears within a year or two of publication, as so much does, I figure I'm better off having spent that reading time with Herodotus, Plotinus, Plutarch, Trollope, Hazlitt, Shakespeare ...

So much for reading. As for me, I'm in the process of retiring after running through a variety of careers from teaching through corporate finance through political consulting through law with a few others in between. I live with my wife in Northwest Washington, on an island with no bridge, only ferry service to the mainland. Our two daughters, their husbands, and our two grandsons (1 month and 3 months) live next door to us, so I'm getting lots of grandparenting time, which is a greater blessing than I can possibly express.

Anything else you need to know about me will, I'm sure, slide out during various posts.

Hmm, I seem to be falling behind when it comes to welcoming people!

the shazzaroo, Welcome to you. That's quite a varied list of books/authors you read. I hope we will be able to introduce you to more, and that you can share with us the particular aspects of your reading that you enjoy.

Welcome, too to rubybluelady. Your target of 100 books in the year puts me to shame. I hope that you will be able to spare the time from reading to post a little about your favourite books on BGO

Colin Phillips, I think I've welcomed you elsewhere, as you have already posted on several threads. It's good to have a new member jump straight in and start contributing to the discussions.

Everyman, welcome to you, too. You have not missed any forums, there are none specifically for very early writers. The board gets very difficult to navigate when there is a long 'menu' of smaller interest forums. We did have more categories, but found it necessary to amalgamate some after a few months. Your early writers would fit into Novels - pre1900 (where you have already started an interesting discussion on Jane Eyre), or one of the non-fiction categories. there haven't been many members before you expressing an interest in these writers, but that is not to say that some may not appear now that you have opened up the subject. If there is sufficient demand then we can ask for another forum.

If there are any other 'newbies' I've not mentioned by name, do consider yourself well and truly welcome here. I look forward to reading contributions from all of you! :D

Welcome, too to rubybluelady. Your target of 100 books in the year puts me to shame. I hope that you will be able to spare the time from reading to post a little about your favourite books on BGO

I'm reading The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx at the moment. I haven't seen a thread for this book, is there a way of searching? I might be too shy to start a thread :o

I'm reading The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx at the moment. I haven't seen a thread for this book, is there a way of searching? I might be too shy to start a thread :o
There is a way of searching*, but I wouldn't bother searching for this book - there is no thread so far. ;)

I read it over ten years ago, but will delve into my notebooks and see if I've written enough to jog my memory. If so, I'll start a thread for it later. But don't be shy about starting a new thread, we don't bite!

* Either click on the 'search' button in the navy-blue bar across the page, above the thread, and enter the book title in the box.

Or,

open the forum it ought to be in, if you know it, (in this case, Novels of the 20th Century, and across the top of the forum, above the threads you will see the letters of the alphbet . Click on the initial letter of the sought for author's surname (in this case P). All the authors with surnames starting with that letter will then appear. Click on the name you want (they are not listed alphabetically past the first letter), and all the threads on books by that author will be listed. If the title you want is there, click on it and the thread will open.

Hi I'm Scarlett, i added the BGO myspace while promoting my jewellery website http://www.silverbyscarlett.co.uk shameless plug there, sorry. Anyway i added the myspace so thought I'd come and check out the forum.

I'm 18 and currently study welding and textiles (odd combination i know) and design and make silver jewellery. I didnt learn to read or write untill i was nearly 8 years old, but since then have been an avid reader. The last few books I've read are

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (im only half way through so dont tell me what happens)

Dubliners by James Joyce

The Complete Autobiographies of Maya Angelou

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

How to be Good by Nick Hornby

before that i was on a bit of a childrens book spree, so Peter Pan and most of the Moomin books. I still love alot of the books i was read as a child, and peter pan remains one of my all time favourites. I think it's an amazing and beautiful book and anyone who dismisses it as just a children's book will probably provoke my instant dislike.

anyway thats enough about me, so im off to search for a thread on peter pan.

love scarlett

Hi, Scarlett, welcome to BGO.

That's a varied selection of books you have been reading. I think you'll enjoy it here as you'll find many recommendations for new books and authors to try.

I only 'discovered' My Cousin Rachel last year, and enjoyed it very much. Have you read du Maurier's more famous novel Rebecca yet? Another good read.

How did you enjoy (if that's the right word) the Maya Angelou autobiographies? I have read several of them, but not the later volumes. Have you tried her poetry? I think there are a couple of quotes from them in the Poetry section, if you care to look.

hi thanks for replying,

when i finished posting on here last night i ended up getting drawn into a midnight literary debate with a "friend" who thought that all the bronte books and especially jane austin were "turgid sh*t" and that the first line of pride and prejudice, which he completely misquoted, showed austin's "obnoxious personality and horrible writing style" as you can imagine the conversation turned fairly nasty at this point. What i find funny is that he also told me he's applying to Cambridge to read English Literature. sigh. anyway...

Billybob: I loved the summer book, I'm part way through the winter book at the moment and not enjoying it as much but i think it's probably a must for anyone who loves the moomin books. It seems like moominmamma and moominpappa are pretty closely based on her parents. have you read/liked them?

megustaleer: no i havnt read rebecca yet but i did listen to a radio serialisation (sp?) of it a while back, the joys of radio 4.

I really enjoyed the maya angelou books, I'd had I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for ages and never got round to reading it, cos to be honest feminism gritty real life misery prejudice and child rape aren't usually features which attract me to a book, but in a fit of worthyness i forced myself to start it and i just thought it was an amazing book. She somehow manages to convey everything she went through with optimism, humour and zero self pity, i didnt enjoy the last couple of volumes quite as much but they are all brilliant books and well worth reading. I havnt read any of her poetry as yet but i shall definately have a look.

Hi there!

I was introduced to BGO by Kimberley the other day. I'm an avid reader, although the old reading has slowed down a bit after getting through the Booker longlist. I will crib my reviews from elsewhere and post them up here - sorry, I do tend to go for the syndicated approach to reviews and people may have seen them before.

I tend to go for lit fic, but have been known to lift the odd thriller or crime novel. Non fiction is strictly for work (although reference books help for crosswords). And Jim Murray's Whisky Bible is for all occasions. :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know people around here.

A very warm welcome to you, MisterHobgoblin! I certainly know from 'elsewhere' that you are an asset to any site and someone who will definitely have some valuable contributions to make. We're perfectly happy having your reviews here even if they've been elsewhere - the important thing is to have ideas that we can discuss!

Whilst whisky has never been my regular tipple I've found myself enjoying it rather more as the years have rumbled by - now I know the man to turn to for advice!

I'll certainly raise a glass to your joining us!

Sláinte!